Marty Hurney Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #106
MTK
\m/

Re: Marty Hurney Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Ron could have addressed this without Hurney, I still say Smith has a better eye for talent than Mayhew and Hurney combined. We’ve been through 4 GM’s since Beathard left and Smith picks have been impressive, the other 4 Casserly and McCloughan were ok, Vinny and Allen should have been recruiting elementary schools.
Ron has more in mind for his GM than just a guy to pick players though. Smith lacks the overall front office executive experience that Mayhew and Hurney have.

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #107
SkinzWin
Playmaker

WFT made if official this morning in a press release this morning. Mayhew is our new GM!

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/n...rtin-mayhew-gm
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #108
Schneed10
A Dude

Hurney has been named the EVP of Football / Player Personnel. He will report directly to Ron Rivera.

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/n...ayer-personnel

I read this as Hurney being in charge, and Mayhew reporting into Hurney. It means Hurney is the de facto GM, with Mayhew having the GM title in name only.

It will be up to Hurney and Ron as to how much say Mayhew will have in player personnel selection. In reality, it will be a collaborative approach amongst all of these guys, with Ron ultimately having the decision making.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #109
MTK
\m/

Everyone reports to Ron basically. Ron is the dude in the room.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #110
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Hurney has been named the EVP of Football / Player Personnel. He will report directly to Ron Rivera.

I read this as Hurney being in charge, and Mayhew reporting into Hurney. It means Hurney is the de facto GM, with Mayhew having the GM title in name only.

It will be up to Hurney and Ron as to how much say Mayhew will have in player personnel selection. In reality, it will be a collaborative approach amongst all of these guys, with Ron ultimately having the decision making.
Interesting...hopefully it work

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #111
MTK
\m/

JP Finlay
Understandably fans have questions about new front office structure in Washington. Ron remains boss, Mayhew is top talent evaluator and Hurney will handle the procedural stuff. Most important message I’ve gotten from Ashburn - all 3 are excited and on same page.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #112
MTK
\m/

Jason Wright
Just met Martin & Marty w/ Coach. You could feel the confidence, the steadiness of the combined wisdom of ~50 NFL yrs in the room. They're already collaborating seamlessly as a team. From @RiverboatRonHC down, football is in the hands of selfless, thoughtful leaders. I'm excited.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #113
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Everyone reports to Ron basically. Ron is the dude in the room.
Good way to look at it, that's the bottom line.

I'm happy there's enough adults supporting him. I have admired the job Kyle Smith did but he's been immersed in draft board preparation and overseeing pro scouting. But that's not enough resources in the front office.

Somebody needs to give Ron guidance on long term vision and strategy. Somebody has to answer the phones and negotiate trades. Somebody has to negotiate with the free agents and manage the salary cap. And most importantly, somebody has to tie all that together and express how it all fits into the cohesive strategy.

Kyle, as good as he has been with draft boards, is not enough. That's why you hire Hurney and Mayhew.

I think Hurney will help Ron with the overall long term strategy. Together they will task Rogers with managing the cap and negotiating contracts. The players they ask him to negotiate with will be determined by Ron and Hurney, with the input of Mayhew who is overseeing all the scouts, pro and college. The players they draft will be chosen by Ron and Hurney, based upon the draft board that Mayhew and the scouts put together.

As to who picks up the phone on big trades, not sure. Best guess is Mayhew takes the first call like Jonah Hill's character in Moneyball, and checks with Hurney and Ron on the big decisions.

Whatever. Two key takeaways:

1) Buck stops with Ron
2) He's surrounding himself with enough adults to support him
Old 01-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #114
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I don't think Mayhew will be reporting to Hurney. If anything, Mayhew's title is a tic above Hurney's, but they'll both be reporting to Ron who will be the final decision-maker. My guess is Mayhew and Hurney will essentially split the traditional GM duties, so Ron can focus more on coaching the team.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #115
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I don't think Mayhew will be reporting to Hurney. If anything, Mayhew's title is a tic above Hurney's, but they'll both be reporting to Ron who will be the final decision-maker. My guess is Mayhew and Hurney will essentially split the traditional GM duties, so Ron can focus more on coaching the team.
Remind me not to put you in charge of anything important. That's not a sound organizational structure, and I don't think Ron would do that at all.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #116
Schneed10
A Dude

To provide a more informative response, and perhaps less confrontational...

Executive Vice President is generally a title given to the highest ranking executives in an organization, they are generally one step down from the man in charge.

Hierarchy typically goes:

Manager
Reports to: Director
Reports to: Associate Vice President
Reports to: Vice President
Reports to: Senior Vice President
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Reports to: President & CEO

In most organizations the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer carry the title of EVP. So the title will read Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.

It's rare that a Senior VP outranks a EVP.

So my read is:

Kyle Smith, VP of Player Personnel
Reports to: Martin Mayhew, SVP and General Manager
Reports to: Marty Hurney, EVP Football / Personnel
Reports to: Ron Rivera, Head Coach and The Dude
Old 01-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #117
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

It’s nice to see professional football people running the organization. What a great change.

It’s a brighter day ahead for Skins fans

Look in Philly, front office is forcing the QB onto the new staff...Dallas floundering with a bad HC decision and major salary cap issues with a 40 million QB free agent, giants and gettleman, very questionable moves with the draft...tranny dimes...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #118
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:

So my read is:

Kyle Smith, VP of Player Personnel
Reports to: Martin Mayhew, SVP and General Manager
Reports to: Marty Hurney, EVP Football / Personnel
Reports to: Ron Rivera, Head Coach and The Dude
We've had press releases come out already. Both Mayhew and Hurney report directly to Ron.

JP Finley reported that Mayhew is in charge of player personnel stuff and Hurney will help out with administrative stuff. It appears the structure is exactly what you criticized Chief X for proposing a few posts ago.

I agree with you that it seems a bit backward on paper, but this has been a coach-centric approach from the beginning. Everything Ron's done so far has worked out better than I've expected, so I am cautiously optomistic.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #119
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
We've had press releases come out already. Both Mayhew and Hurney report directly to Ron.

JP Finley reported that Mayhew is in charge of player personnel stuff and Hurney will help out with administrative stuff. It appears the structure is exactly what you criticized Chief X for proposing a few posts ago.

I agree with you that it seems a bit backward on paper, but this has been a coach-centric approach from the beginning. Everything Ron's done so far has worked out better than I've expected, so I am cautiously optomistic.
Just saw it and you're right. Chief I owe you an apology, WFT really is dumb enough to structure it this way.

It's a bad idea, I think Ron's inviting trouble. Mayhew and Hurney need to be adults who don't stab each other in the back or Ron won't be well supported. Maybe they are, but a better structure would mitigate it.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #120
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Just saw it and you're right. Chief I owe you an apology, WFT really is dumb enough to structure it this way.

It's a bad idea, I think Ron's inviting trouble. Mayhew and Hurney need to be adults who don't stab each other in the back or Ron won't be well supported. Maybe they are, but a better structure would mitigate it.
Given that they were both hired at the same time and both report to Ron, I think they all know going into this exactly who is responsible for doing what. Hurney is 65 years old and likely wants to "stay in the game" without necessarily having a 60-80hr/week job that dominates his life.

As awkward as the arrangement seems, I think it can work fine as long as Hurney "stays in his lane" (whatever that lane is).

Some have said this is too many cooks in the kitchen, but given that Kyle Smith is reportedly not part of the go-forward plan, this is really just a net addition of one person. And given Ron was stretched very thin last year, we definitely needed to add atleast one person.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote