Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

The 2012 London Summer Olympics Thread

Other Sports

Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #106
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: The 2012 London Summer Olympics Thread

Michael Phelps Asks Bob Costas If He Wins Or Loses Tonight | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #107
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Badminton Tanking: I think I might have actually watched this match Shameless shuttlers lose for gains | Olympics 2012

Looks like those players got DQ'd and sent packing. *tips hat to IOC* This is exactly what should have been done.

2012 London Olympics -- IOC asks for probe of badminton coaches, officials - ESPN

On a secondary note. Wilbon is a complete ****ing retard. He encourages teams and players to lose games to enhance their standing? Why in the **** does ESPN continue to put morons like him and Skip Bayless on TV. I couldn't even listen to it all it was so retarded.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #108
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Ouch.

Weightlifter Sa Jae-hyouk dislocates elbow in London Olympics’ most gruesome injury (VIDEO/PHOTOS) | Fourth-Place Medal - Yahoo! Sports
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 08-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #109
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Looks like those players got DQ'd and sent packing. *tips hat to IOC* This is exactly what should have been done.

2012 London Olympics -- IOC asks for probe of badminton coaches, officials - ESPN

On a secondary note. Wilbon is a complete ****ing retard. He encourages teams and players to lose games to enhance their standing? Why in the **** does ESPN continue to put morons like him and Skip Bayless on TV. I couldn't even listen to it all it was so retarded.
I agree with you in regards to the badminton players. You gotta send the message that if it ever happens again, you're tossed no question asked. Their sport is going to lose a lot of fans over this, and deservedly so.

On your secondary note, retards = ratings. Say something outlandish and people will pay attention, and discuss it whether they like it or not. That's how retards like that get jobs.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #110
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Going back the the US Women's gymnastics team win the other night, and I wanted to share this if you missed it. This was by in far the best vault I've ever witnessed, and how how a judge didn't give this a perfect score. Hands down this should have been given a perfect score, and it was so good it actually dropped a jaw on one of the judges.

McKayla Maroney's Vault Was So Good It Literally Dropped A Judge's Jaw

Crazy good.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #111
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I agree with you in regards to the badminton players. You gotta send the message that if it ever happens again, you're tossed no question asked. Their sport is going to lose a lot of fans over this, and deservedly so.

On your secondary note, retards = ratings. Say something outlandish and people will pay attention, and discuss it whether they like it or not. That's how retards like that get jobs.
Badminton has alot of fans? I'm guessing if you one of 10 you will keep watching.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #112
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

This seems to happen every year during the snatch portion of weightlifting. In 2008 a Hungarian lifter completely broke his arm. That was a scary video to watch.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #113
firstdown
Living Legend

First badminton and now this. How can they kick the badminton teams out and not this team is surprising.

IOC clears British cyclist Philip Hindes of deliberate crash
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #114
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

^^ First, the IOC didn't DQ the badminton competitiors - the World Federation of Badminton (or whatever the umbrella organization for badminton is) did. The IOC "took note" of the Federation's actions and did not contest them. (Sorry, can't find the link but just remember the quote as the IOC's response seemed rather tepid and did not seem to independently condemn the actions).

In the cycling, the cycling umbrella organization said: "It's okay. It's all part of the game." The teams competing against Britain seemed to shrug their shoulders at the tactic and accepted it as part of the cycling rules. The IOC again, did not dispute the findings of the umbrella organization.

It's a tough call to make any distinction and I'm certainly not going to try. Manipulation fo the rules has been around since the beginning of organized competitions. Sometimes it gets called out sometimes not. To me, at these high levels, it's more about the politics w/in the group than an objective application of standards. It's why MJ got the calls in the NBA, why tackling Tom Brady in a game is a suspendable offense, etc. etc.

Again, while I love, admire and am awed by the athleticism on display at the Olympics, I hate the cliquish/subject application of rules to so many of the competitions.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #115
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Let me understand...they kick badminton players out of the Games for not trying hard enough, but when our basketball team wins by 83, they get attacked for scoring too many points?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #116
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

And my boy Dong Dong takes the gold in trampoline!!! Sorry for the spoiler, I'm just that excited!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #117
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Badminton has alot of fans? I'm guessing if you one of 10 you will keep watching.
Hey don't you diss badminton, badminton fans are more hooliganish than European soccer fans.

Actually I'm not one of the 10, I'm just saying. For the record, I can't even remember if badminton is the sport where they toss the little birdie hoopajoop over the net with a tennis racket.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #118
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Let me understand...they kick badminton players out of the Games for not trying hard enough, but when our basketball team wins by 83, they get attacked for scoring too many points?

That happened? What are you supposed to do; give the other team the ball? Its not like football where you can just switch to thground game
Old 08-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #119
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
That happened? What are you supposed to do; give the other team the ball? Its not like football where you can just switch to thground game
Yes, and Coach K is mad. He said he WAS trying to take it easy on Nigeria...benching starters, no fast breaks in the 4th quarter and trying to pass the ball around and use up the shot clock. He said "we used up the 24 seconds of the shot clock and took one shot, but those shots were just going in."

Carmelo Anthony scored 37 points...in 16 minutes!

Nigeria was just THAT bad.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #120
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This...doesn't seem right

Sprinter banned from 100 meters -- for sleeping with his wife - CBSSports