What REALLY grinds your gears?

Parking Lot

Old 08-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #1171
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Go to a local store for lunch, grab a couple items and immediately head to the quick, "10 items or less" check out...lady in front of me checking out A) has 13 items and B) asks for a f*ckin pen.

A) rules. if it says 10 items, then 10 is the effing max. its a line for people like me, with 3 items who want to grab and go.

B) Who the f*ck writes a effing check anymore? Of course we need to write it out, let the cashier run it and record it in our little register. An addition 2 minutes to my waiting time while im staring at the other line 10 items line breeze right through. Who the f*ck writes a check? Get a effing check card.
I will actually count the items in my buggy to make sure I don't have over the "10 items or less" limit and if I'm one over, I'll go into the regular line. Occasionally if the grocery store is not busy, they'll take me in the express line no matter what, but I will let someone else go in front of me if they have a few items in their hands.

Yeah, the check writing gets me, but like I stated in the previous post, they treat checks just like they would debit cards or credit cards in the grocery stores I've been to. I've lost my debit card on a couple of occasions and had to pay with checks until the replacement card came back and the cashier told me you don't even have to fill out the check, just sign your name and their computer does the rest.

Advertisements
Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #1172
Monkeydad
Living Legend

New gear grinder...

Now I've been seeing a $1.00 charge anytime you your PIN on the debit card.

I have always processed purchases as credit instead of debit, but a month or so ago I asked for cash back and ran it as debit. I saw a $1.00 "PIN use fee" deducted from my account. A few weeks later, I used an ATM for cash. I always use M&T Bank's ATMs because they have no surcharges, even if you don't have an account with them and are everywhere around here. Again, that "PIN use fee" despite my use of a fee-free ATM.

I used to always use the "free" ATMs and cash back at registers to get cash without paying a fee. Now, the only way for me to get access to my own cash without paying a fee is going to be writing a check out to cash or making a withdrawl at my credit union at the counter, both inconvenient.

I've always used my bank card as credit when swiping, so the only time I get nailed with this is when getting cash. My wife went to the grocery store and swiped the card as a debit card...got nailed with the $1.00 fee again! I've made sure she knows not to do that again.

Thieves! For ATMs with a fee, you're going to get nailed twice on the same transaction. Double-dipping on a single transactions should be illegal, even if it's two different institutions.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #1173
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
If I worked at a store, I'd be strict about it and make people leave my line. Of course, I'd probably be fired for what they call "poor customer service" even though I'd actually be providing excellent customer service for the others and applying store rules.
i was a cashier at a grocery store in high school. i tried to put my foot down when i was on the express lane, but got no support from my superiors.

if they were the only customer in my line, i would scan all their stuff really slow and take as long as i could until someone else came in behind them. one time this woman seriously came w a cart FULL, i told her move it along sister - but she said something like "come on, the store closes in 10 minutes" - it was closing soon but i didn't care. i scanned about 15 items then rang my bell/turned on my light like i needed a manager's help to proceed.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #1174
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
New gear grinder...

I have always processed purchases as credit instead of debit, but a month or so ago I asked for cash back and ran it as debit. I saw a $1.00 "PIN use fee" deducted from my account. A few weeks later, I used an ATM for cash. I always use M&T Bank's ATMs because they have no surcharges, even if you don't have an account with them and are everywhere around here. Again, that "PIN use fee" despite my use of a fee-free ATM.

I used to always use the "free" ATMs and cash back at registers to get cash without paying a fee. Now, the only way for me to get access to my own cash without paying a fee is going to be writing a check out to cash or making a withdrawl at my credit union at the counter, both inconvenient.

I've always used my bank card as credit when swiping, so the only time I get nailed with this is when getting cash. My wife went to the grocery store and swiped the card as a debit card...got nailed with the $1.00 fee again! I've made sure she knows not to do that again.

Thieves! For ATMs with a fee, you're going to get nailed twice on the same transaction. Double-dipping on a single transactions should be illegal, even if it's two different institutions.
bank with usaa if you can, they refund atm fees.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #1175
MTK
\m/

Quote:
New gear grinder...

Yeah the debit charge is nothing new in the industry. Always run it as a credit.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #1176
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I've always had a limited number of debit uses per month and always stayed under that, but a couple months ago, they started charging a buck for EVERY debit transaction. That's just ridiculous.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #1177
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
i was a cashier at a grocery store in high school. i tried to put my foot down when i was on the express lane, but got no support from my superiors.

if they were the only customer in my line, i would scan all their stuff really slow and take as long as i could until someone else came in behind them. one time this woman seriously came w a cart FULL, i told her move it along sister - but she said something like "come on, the store closes in 10 minutes" - it was closing soon but i didn't care. i scanned about 15 items then rang my bell/turned on my light like i needed a manager's help to proceed.
I applaud your efforts.

Too bad you couldn't just flip your light off and walk away...just long enough for her to get in the proper lane.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #1178
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Pull up blue mail drop off thingy to mail a couple bills at the post office. Some bitch is sitting in front of me writing out her mail. r you f*cking serious, people just dont give a sh8t anymore

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #1179
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
New gear grinder...

One reason I love USAA. They have limited ATM's so instead they just credit you once a month for any ATM fees you incur, up to $15 a month. That's like 5 ATM uses, and I rarely use more than two or three at the most in a month. Basically, I just never worry about the fee if I have to use an ATM for some reason.

Oh and I never choose debit at a register/gas pump. And never understand why anybody would.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #1180
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Pull up blue mail drop off thingy to mail a couple bills at the post office. Some bitch is sitting in front of me writing out her mail. r you f*cking serious, people just dont give a sh8t anymore
Agreed
Old 09-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #1181
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
One reason I love USAA. They have limited ATM's so instead they just credit you once a month for any ATM fees you incur, up to $15 a month. That's like 5 ATM uses, and I rarely use more than two or three at the most in a month. Basically, I just never worry about the fee if I have to use an ATM for some reason.

Oh and I never choose debit at a register/gas pump. And never understand why anybody would.
usaa is the tops. have you used their home value calculator/estimator tool?

i just got the usaa mobile app and deposited my first check via mobile. before this app, i had to use my scanner, but at least that was an option. navy federal doesn't offer online check deposit on their website - only on their mobile app, weird.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #1182
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
usaa is the tops. have you used their home value calculator/estimator tool?

i just got the usaa mobile app and deposited my first check via mobile. before this app, i had to use my scanner, but at least that was an option. navy federal doesn't offer online check deposit on their website - only on their mobile app, weird.
I haven't used the home value calculator or mobile check deposit, but online deposit is cool, plus you can go to any UPS store and they do the deposit too.

Great company all around.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #1183
aircoryell
Camp Scrub

I'll tell you what grinds my gears! Panhandlers! They are literally at every light for miles on my commute. They have their signs and their fake limps that magically disappear when they catapult into a full sprint like Usain Bolt when someone flashes a dollar. They must have gotten hurt during the sprint because they're limping again at the next red light as cars queue up. I'm watching you!
Thanks for making feel like a piece of shit after giving me that sad puppy face look cause the sucker in front gave you a dollar and now I have to pretend to be on my phone.

I have seen the promised land, and it is beautiful.

Last edited by aircoryell; 09-21-2012 at 09:12 PM.
aircoryell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #1184
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

So, I'm first chair on a fairly large case involving two other agencies who are providing co-counsel. On Friday, my supervisor say our response to the compplaint MUST be filed Monday the 15th because he agreed to that date with opposing counsel. In order to do so, the three authors of the motion need to have their parts done by COB today so that we can have the week to make sure the parts mesh. It's an artificial deadline b/c, by law we have until Nov. 2nd to file a response. Also, my part of the motion accounts for about 2/3's of it and the other two attorneys each have about one sixth. Yesterday was a government holiday and today I was a chaperone on my kindergarten aged daughter's first field trip.

Regardless, I say no problem and am at the office straight through Friday night (8:00 a.m. Friday, 7:00 a.m. Saturday) I go back and am at the office again Saturday night 7:30 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. Sunday) and finish my part last night at home ~ 11:00 p.m.- 3:30 a.m. and have it e-mailed to all concerned.

I get home from the field trip, check the office e-mail from home and there is an e-mail from the boss extending the filing deadline to October 22nd. No explanation.

Thanks. Thanks a whole f'ing lot.

Oh, by the way, did I mention I have a trial tomorrow -- would have been nice to have spent Friday prepping for it.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #1185
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Concussions and kickers.