Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2024, 07:12 PM   #1081
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
So the guy who coached Johnny Manziel, Kyler Murray, and Caleb Williams is not looking for a dual threat quarterback ? Im calling BS on that.

Ill also say, again, that Jayden Daniels isn’t a run first quarterback. He uses his legs to keep plays alive and is usually looking to throw downfield, and does so accurately.
I’m sorry sir, I respectfully disagree.
Daniels is a run first QB, pure and simple. He can throw, and can deliver at a high, level. But, most definitely is a run first, 1 read and tuck it QB.
I have said it before, go watch his first season at LSU, super raw passer, uncomfortable in new scheme and therefore trusts his running ability over timing/reading the field. Over his 2 year maturation at LSU he grows as a passer, and in his abilities. Do not mistake that maturation that he is a now a pocket passer going through 3 or 4 deep on the route tree. It’s simply not who he is. Decisive at the point of attack, and 4 out of 5 times it’s 1 read and tuck it.

Advertisements
Old 02-20-2024, 10:57 PM   #1082
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Drake Maye is a better mobile QB than most realize. Kid is no snail out there.

I still say JD5 is the better choice but if Kilff and company want Maye I’m all in on that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2024, 10:58 PM   #1083
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Jim View Post
Daniels is a run first QB, pure and simple. He can throw, and can deliver at a high, level. But, most definitely is a run first, 1 read and tuck it QB.
I have said it before, go watch his first season at LSU, super raw passer, uncomfortable in new scheme and therefore trusts his running ability over timing/reading the field. Over his 2 year maturation at LSU he grows as a passer, and in his abilities. Do not mistake that maturation that he is a now a pocket passer going through 3 or 4 deep on the route tree. It’s simply not who he is. Decisive at the point of attack, and 4 out of 5 times it’s 1 read and tuck it.

Have you watched his film from this season? He’s changed so much it’s actually amazing

Old 02-21-2024, 07:03 AM   #1084
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Have you watched his film from this season? He’s changed so much it’s actually amazing

Yes, I have watched every game at LSU (LSU fan). I do agree, it was amazing to watch his growth. When he played his first game at LSU, (against Florida St), I said to myself, this guy is not a QB, just a great athlete out there, that can’t throw very well.
He certainly became a better passer in terms of both mechanics, and comfort in the system to what eventually earned him the Heisman last year.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:26 AM   #1085
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes, I have watched every game at LSU (LSU fan). I do agree, it was amazing to watch his growth. When he played his first game at LSU, (against Florida St), I said to myself, this guy is not a QB, just a great athlete out there, that can’t throw very well.
He certainly became a better passer in terms of both mechanics, and comfort in the system to what eventually earned him the Heisman last year.
My biggest concern with him is his frame.. He's so damn skinny. Like a Bryce Young but taller..
Old 02-21-2024, 08:02 AM   #1086
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
My biggest concern with him is his frame.. He's so damn skinny. Like a Bryce Young but taller..
Yes, he’s listed at 210, but almost certainly inflated. I’m not sure he’s even over 200. Of course, as it’s been said before, with weight training and nutrition he could put on some bulk. He will most certainly need it with his style of play and hopefully will receive major upgrades to the offensive line to protect him.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:08 AM   #1087
njant
Special Teams

maye has a better arm and much more bigger upside, plus maye is mobile not like daniels but good enough ,maye should be the choice
njant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:12 AM   #1088
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
So the guy who coached Johnny Manziel, Kyler Murray, and Caleb Williams is not looking for a dual threat quarterback ? Im calling BS on that.

Ill also say, again, that Jayden Daniels isn’t a run first quarterback. He uses his legs to keep plays alive and is usually looking to throw downfield, and does so accurately.
and Maye is no stature either . . . Maye can run pretty good himself, not quite Daniels, but he also has better pocket presence than Daniels. Combine numbers will be interesting.

I'd be good with any of the top 3 . . .

Last edited by SkinsGuru; 02-21-2024 at 10:43 AM.
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:55 AM   #1089
simbosargos75
Special Teams

As long as they don't something stupid like trade up to #1, I'm fine with any of them.

My personal preference is Maye, Williams, Daniles in that order.

--On Wisconsin
simbosargos75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:22 PM   #1090
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/d...jayden-daniels

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/j...scouting-2024/

I think Daniels has such amazing speed and run capabilities that it would appear he is not going through his progressions but he does, Even while he is moving. Run first to me is a guy that trusts his legs more than his arm and field vision. This guy has it all.

I will be fine with any of the three though.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:23 PM   #1091
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbosargos75 View Post
As long as they don't something stupid like trade up to #1, I'm fine with any of them.

My personal preference is Maye, Williams, Daniles in that order.

I have the exact same preference only backwards. Lol.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:32 PM   #1092
skinsfan69
Living Legend

The bottom line is the media has basically shoved down our throats that Caleb, Daniels and Maye are the best guys. It won't turn out that way cause 1 or 2 of them will probably bust.

I still think Penix is better than all these guys for the NFL game. Almost 5,000 yards last year and the accuracy on the deep ball should not be ignored. That kid is going to go to a decent good team like Atlanta or Denver and could start right away.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:44 PM   #1093
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The bottom line is the media has basically shoved down our throats that Caleb, Daniels and Maye are the best guys. It won't turn out that way cause 1 or 2 of them will probably bust.

I still think Penix is better than all these guys for the NFL game. Almost 5,000 yards last year and the accuracy on the deep ball should not be ignored. That kid is going to go to a decent good team like Atlanta or Denver and could start right away.
Penix throws like a 25 year old Joe Montana, He also has the body of 65 year old Joe Montana.

Penix is the next Reggie Bush, he will be very good, When healthy*.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:44 PM   #1094
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

🔥I’ve (Daniel Kelly) now evaluated USC quarterback (QB) Caleb Williams in every snap he took in 2022 and 2023 and I’ve written approximately 11,850 words reflecting on him in articles.

The takeaway: Williams is too undisciplined, moody, and immature to ever realize his potential.

Yes, he is loaded with God-given raw arm strength, and elite ability to create and extend (which is the draw to him), but he’s underdeveloped in the finer points of the position. His skillset doesn’t translate well to the next level ⎯the NFL game is about quick time to throw, precise downfield ball placement, and ball security.

The only box he checks is ball security improving from 35 pass breakups (2.5 avg.) in 2022 to 15 in 2023 (1.25 avg.).

2023 went sideways
Williams won the 2022 Heisman Trophy, but it amounted to a second-round grade watching him through my ‘NFL-colored glasses.’ He tended to hold the ball too long and to lock in with receivers.

The first three games of 2023 (San Jose State, Nevada, and Stanford) gave me optimism he had improved, but then ASU happened. He was excellent against Colorado but mediocre against the University of Arizona.

And then things went off the rails.

The true litmus test would be against ranked competition.

What happened?

USC faced Notre Dame, Utah, CAL, Washington, Oregon, and UCLA and dropped five out of six and Williams’ became unglued.

Concerns
1. Downward trajectory ⎯Williams regressed in 2023.

2. NFL Expectations ⎯will be crazy high. The expectations alone will cause him to be a bust.

3. Time to throw ⎯Pro Football Focus recorded Williams at 3.44 seconds in 2022 and 3.21 seconds in 2023. Williams was sacked 63 times (2022-2023). Only seven NFL QBs are over 3 seconds (NEXT GEN STATS). Bears’ QB Justin Fields was the slowest (3.23 seconds). Fields was sacked 99 times (2022-2023).

4. Glorifed system QB ⎯I did an independent study this season, Williams’ best completion percentages came throwing 44-62% short passes. His three worst games (55.9%-57.5%) were fewer short passes.

5. Not a big game QB ⎯Williams was 2-9 against ranked teams the past two seasons.

6. Fumbles ⎯ 32 fumbles in 36 games.

7. Post-game conduct ⎯refused to shake hands with Utah and refused to talk to reporters after the UCLA loss.

8. Nature ⎯Wants to get out of structure as a passer and get reckless as a runner (increased injury risk). He reverts to locking in with receivers. Additionally, he talked down about a fan calling him a “sheep,” and he does unpredictable and uncensored things ranging from painting obscenities on his fingernails to jumping into the stands and crying in his mother’s arms.

9. Inexperienced dealing with adversity ⎯According to Sports Illustrated (Nov. 28, 2023) Williams said, “I’ve never been in this situation, where I’m 7–5 and there are no playoff hopes at the end of the season. I’m dealing with it emotionally, dealing with it spiritually and physically. ”

10. Holiday Bowl ⎯USC bounced right back (same offensive line and defense) against No. 15 Louisville with QB Miller Moss who was making his first career start and he matched Williams’ USC high of six touchdown passes in a game. 💥

Windycityendzone.football Windycityendzone Windy City End Zone - A Chicago Bears Fan Group The Windy City End Zone Show Chicago Bears #bears #BearNation #BearsNation #NFL #chicago #BearDown
Old 02-21-2024, 08:12 PM   #1095
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Someone had to fuck around and go 1st; Williams to the Commanders w/ no trade down. It's unlikely, but it's not absolutely insane. He has the Bears taking Maye at No. 1.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/j...raft-february/
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote