Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2024, 12:55 PM   #1
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
Thanks for the correction, I meant to go with win a SB but when I changed it to appearances I omitted Cam and Kap. Wilson should be on the list as well. I am not considering Elway, Young Staubach etc because they were pass first QBs who had the ability to run but didn't do it that often.

So we are still left with Wilson as the only super mobile QB who has won a title.
I wouldn't so easily dismiss Young or Elway as not running very often. 4329 and 3407 respectively, both with a very good average YPC. Given their era where passers were pretty much purely pocket passers, those aren't casual numbers. They'd be closer too Mahomes (mobile) than Jackson (running), but having watched them play, I'd put them on the scale closer to Jackson than Mahomes.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:47 PM   #2
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I wouldn't so easily dismiss Young or Elway as not running very often. 4329 and 3407 respectively, both with a very good average YPC. Given their era where passers were pretty much purely pocket passers, those aren't casual numbers. They'd be closer too Mahomes (mobile) than Jackson (running), but having watched them play, I'd put them on the scale closer to Jackson than Mahomes.
Yeah but we are talking about 2 of the elite passers of our lifetime and that's what made them all time greats. Young averaged 25 rushing yards a game, Elway 14. So I can't put them in the same group as Lamar, Kyler, Vick etc. because they were different types of QBs.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 04:34 PM   #3
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
I will admit to a bias. These super mobile QBs have been around since Randall Cunningham, over the last decade we've seen a ton of them and some on good teams. But only one (Hurts) even made it to the Super Bowl.

As I watched the first quarter of the Ravens/Chiefs I told myself I have to get with the times and accept this type of QB as the future. An 8 yard run on 3rd and 6 is just as good as an 8 yard pass into tight coverage.

But then I see Lamar crap the bed in the playoffs. Again. And I'm right back where I've always been, preferring a pocket QB
So I guess Patrick Mahomes is a "pocket" quarterback?

I think what we're seeing is a new "post Brady" model of an elite quarterback. One that can drop the dime, with touch when necessary, but is able to consistently make plays in AND out of the pocket. I think excellent mobility has come to be a expected trait of today's top tier quarterbacks. That's in addition to all the other qualities, mental and physical, you expect to see, of course.
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 06:25 PM   #4
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post

I think what we're seeing is a new "post Brady" model of an elite quarterback. One that can drop the dime, with touch when necessary, but is able to consistently make plays in AND out of the pocket. I think excellent mobility has come to be a expected trait of today's top tier quarterbacks. That's in addition to all the other qualities, mental and physical, you expect to see, of course.
There's a difference between mobile and running QB's. A mobile QB can run adequately or even very well, when the situation demands. But they are still primarily pocket passers. They win primarily with air yards not ground yards. Running QB's are defendable. Just look at what KC did to Jackson as evidence.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:57 AM   #5
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post

Yes. He does most of his damage from the pocket or creating off script. I don't consider him in the same group with Lamar, Kyler etc. who rely on their running more than Mahomes.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 04:13 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Had a dream last night we drafted JD

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 04:31 PM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Fantastic dream. I like your dedication to getting Daniels.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:33 PM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

He Gets Us
Old 02-26-2024, 08:12 AM   #9
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The best qb's watch so much film that they're rarely surprised by a coverage they see pre-snap. It's one thing to have the physical attributes that a Drake Maye or a Jayden Daniels has, what is going to determine their success is how bad they want it. If they want it bad enough they'll live religiously in the film room until they can identify 90% of what a defense is going to do. That's what this coaching staff has to figure out - which prospect is going to put in the work to be great. Tons of guys who had the athleticism to be great but never put in the work watching tape.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:09 AM   #10
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The best qb's watch so much film that they're rarely surprised by a coverage they see pre-snap. It's one thing to have the physical attributes that a Drake Maye or a Jayden Daniels has, what is going to determine their success is how bad they want it. If they want it bad enough they'll live religiously in the film room until they can identify 90% of what a defense is going to do. That's what this coaching staff has to figure out - which prospect is going to put in the work to be great. Tons of guys who had the athleticism to be great but never put in the work watching tape.
Your comment made me wonder if now that they get paid in college the ones that don't really want it as bad will be easier to identify. In other words how did a player react after his first big check. Maybe the transition to the NFL and really big paydays won't be quite as drastic.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:28 PM   #11
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Your comment made me wonder if now that they get paid in college the ones that don't really want it as bad will be easier to identify. In other words how did a player react after his first big check. Maybe the transition to the NFL and really big paydays won't be quite as drastic.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
That would make it so much easier to pick the right guy haha. We'll see I guess. Peters and co. have a tough decision to make, but one thing's for sure. If whoever they pick isn't the guy they need to keep swinging for the fences until they get that position locked down. Without it they'll be wasting years like Ron did.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:35 AM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Couple things I’ve heard from the so called experts about this draft class coming out:

1. Great at class at every position along the Oline. Deep
2. Weak class at TE and pass rushers.
3. Inside Dline and WR class is solid.
4. Considered a decent QB class.

He Gets Us
Old 02-27-2024, 08:31 AM   #13
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Couple things I’ve heard from the so called experts about this draft class coming out:

1. Great at class at every position along the Oline. Deep
2. Weak class at TE and pass rushers.
3. Inside Dline and WR class is solid.
4. Considered a decent QB class.
While I would broadly agree with your list, I would take issue with the fourth item, I think they consider it as good to great, the top two going into this were ranked in the top five QBs in the last decade in terms of rating coming out of college.

Last edited by EdmundDorf; 02-27-2024 at 12:19 PM.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:52 AM   #14
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

#2 is why we need to make Fant, Gesicki, or Schultz a priority, and target a couple Edge Rushers.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:55 AM   #15
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
#2 is why we need to make Fant, Gesicki, or Schultz a priority, and target a couple Edge Rushers.
Agreed except for Fant - for some reason, he haven't become the player everyone expected him to be after the draft. Also, I would be surprised if Texans don't resign Schultz.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote