Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #91
dgack
The Starter

Re: Redskins Sign K Billy Cundiff, Release Gano

It's worth pointing out that Gano was once in a camp battle with the illustrious Steven Hauschka for the Ravens' kicker job, and Hauschka beat him out, before choking his way to a pink slip and being replaced by Cundiff.

If anything, that tells me that it's not just some irrational hatred of Gano by Shanahan, just that Cundiff is a better all-around kicker.

The bigger issue with Cundiff, IMO, is why he's been with so many different teams. It seems like he just can't find a place where they're happy with him, warts and all, and get comfortable.
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #92
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

HATE this move. I'm not doing any work today.

God help Cundiff if he misses some of those <50 "layups". I will smack him down over and over in the smackdown thread.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #93
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
FG% numbers are not enough to judge a kicker. The mix of kicking distances plays a role in driving the kicker's overall percentage. Let's analyze Gano vs Cundiff from various distances over the last two seasons combined:

0-19 Yards, both 100% (one attempt each)
20-29 Yards, Cundiff 100% on 20 attempts, Gano 88% on 25 attempts
30-39 Yards, Cudiff 86% on 21 attempts, Gano 56% on 16 attempts
40-49 Yards, Cundiff 82% on 17 attempts, Gano 76% on 25 attempts
50+ Yards, Cundiff 14% on 7 attempts, Gano 44% on 9 attempts

Look at the atrocious performance from Gano from 30-39 yards. Those are FGs you have to make, especially if you're still developing as a Red Zone offense. If you're kicking from 30-39 it means the ball sits at the 13 - 23 yard line. It means your red zone offense stalled, and you desperately need to put those points on the board to atone for the lost TD opportunity in the red zone.

With Cundiff, you know you can't count on a 50 yarder to win the game, but at least you can plan for that. You know your 2 minute offense needs to target the 25 yard line to put the game away safely. With Gano, it almost doesn't matter whether you're trying a 55 yarder or a 35 yarder, he's shaky from both distances. You can't count on him to make it, every time he comes out it's a dice roll.

Stronger leg does not equal better kicker. Give me Cundiff.
Best post of this thread. This fukker should be framed and windexed daily.

F Gano. Guy could stink up a chicken farm. Ill take automatic within the 50, and take our chances with RG3's legs and accuracy converting 3rd and mid or 4th and short if we are around the 35.

Gano just stunk, everyone was just married to the idea that he would become this all star 90% kicker that had a club for a foot. A bunch of seasons in, not even close to happening.

BYE?
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #94
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
FG% numbers are not enough to judge a kicker. The mix of kicking distances plays a role in driving the kicker's overall percentage. Let's analyze Gano vs Cundiff from various distances over the last two seasons combined:

0-19 Yards, both 100% (one attempt each)
20-29 Yards, Cundiff 100% on 20 attempts, Gano 88% on 25 attempts
30-39 Yards, Cudiff 86% on 21 attempts, Gano 56% on 16 attempts
40-49 Yards, Cundiff 82% on 17 attempts, Gano 76% on 25 attempts
50+ Yards, Cundiff 14% on 7 attempts, Gano 44% on 9 attempts

Look at the atrocious performance from Gano from 30-39 yards. Those are FGs you have to make, especially if you're still developing as a Red Zone offense. If you're kicking from 30-39 it means the ball sits at the 13 - 23 yard line. It means your red zone offense stalled, and you desperately need to put those points on the board to atone for the lost TD opportunity in the red zone.

With Cundiff, you know you can't count on a 50 yarder to win the game, but at least you can plan for that. You know your 2 minute offense needs to target the 25 yard line to put the game away safely. With Gano, it almost doesn't matter whether you're trying a 55 yarder or a 35 yarder, he's shaky from both distances. You can't count on him to make it, every time he comes out it's a dice roll.

Stronger leg does not equal better kicker. Give me Cundiff.
Are you factoring in the blocks caused by the OL? That's pretty unfair to judge a kicker by his poor blocking. What are those numbers minus the blocks?
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #95
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
HATE this move. I'm not doing any work today.

God help Cundiff if he misses some of those <50 "layups". I will smack him down over and over in the smackdown thread.
I'm almost positive you just wanted an excuse not to work today.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #96
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Are you factoring in the blocks caused by the OL? That's pretty unfair to judge a kicker by his poor blocking. What are those numbers minus the blocks?
He was 50 some percent the last TWO seasons from 30-39 yards. Come on man, dont try to make the block arguement. Ok, lets tack on 10 percent for blocks. Still horrible for that distance.

Lets not forget time and time again booting the ball out of bounds giving the opposing team position at the frikkin 40.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #97
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
At times the blocks were the result of poor protection, but at other times were the result of Gano's low trajectory. Cundiff's higher trajectory will make up for our poor protection up front, he's a better fit for our team.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #98
jbcjr14
The Starter

I like this move. Cundiff has proven to be money inside of 50 yards. Hopefully that is all he has to try. We shall see how it all plays out, but I do not see this as anything other than an upgrade and confidence that we will kick a shedload inside 50 yds this year due to an improved offense.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #99
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I'll admit I wasn't especially happy about this when I first heard the news, but we have found the silver lining. I'd rather have automatic from inside the 50 than a 50/50 shot from anywhere on the field.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #100
FRPLG
MVP

NC_Skins apparently has an irrational dislike for Danny Smith who is generally considered one of the top guys in the league. If only we had a better ST coach I am sure Gano would be HOF bound.

Our ST have not been nearly as bad as you think NC. At all.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #101
FRPLG
MVP

BTW Ravens...if you're really cutting a guy because he isn't automatic from 50+ then you are stupid. S T U P I D. Especially if he is golden inside 50. Obviously this had to be a basic money move.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #102
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Sounds like a pretty good outcome to me. Gano made me crazy so many times last season, I hoped they'd go with Rackers. Cundiff is even better. Thanks to Schneed for the breakdown that was legit.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #103
That Guy
Living Legend

gano sucks guys. if cundiff also sucks, guess what? we're no worse off. at worst we dropped one craptastic kicker for another. at best, we'll stop missing "easy" FGs.

either way, why do we have over 100 posts for a kicker signing? especially when the guy we had is awful by NFL standards.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #104
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
NC_Skins apparently has an irrational dislike for Danny Smith who is generally considered one of the top guys in the league. If only we had a better ST coach I am sure Gano would be HOF bound.

Our ST have not been nearly as bad as you think NC. At all.
True and we should remember Shanahan could have replaced him with his own guy when he took over. He obviously kept him on for good reason.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #105
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
At times the blocks were the result of poor protection, but at other times were the result of Gano's low trajectory. Cundiff's higher trajectory will make up for our poor protection up front, he's a better fit for our team.
The last I recall, only one of those block the past 2 years was due to trajectory (as noted by Mike), and the other ones were simply blocked due to poor OL play. Hell, even the one that mike said had a low trajectory would have still been blocked even if it wasn't low. (from poor OL play)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote