Election Day Thread - Nov. 3, 2020

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Election Day Thread - Nov. 3, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
No matter who wins, I'm taking a week off from the political threads, starting tomorrow morning.
Nice.

I won't be on here from this afternoon until Wednesday morning. Doing what I do best, gonna head out on the road and isolate from what I'm positive will be a shitstorm no matter who wins. See you guys on the other side.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

If Biden wins I'm just going to blame Trump for everything that goes wrong for the next 2 years.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

You always put so many words into my mouth that I didn't say. The thread will be created. You don't have to participate in it. I didn't call anyone looney and I didn't say it was all unjustified.

Biden will provide plenty of justifiable things for us to criticize him for and I will be commenting on all of them.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
You always put so many words into my mouth that I didn't say. The thread will be created. You don't have to participate in it. I didn't call anyone looney and I didn't say it was all unjustified.

Biden will provide plenty of justifiable things for us to criticize him for and I will be commenting on all of them.
I know I do SD, I do feel like Im kinda an asshole to you sometimes. Im a good bit more critical of you and I do apologize .. but youre the only person I can counter post on here. Just remind me or call me out when Im being an asshole.

Most of us dems on here agree to the same things (because were the smartest people in the room) and Chico is a firestarter running around with gasoline and matches.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

No worries SS.

In regards to switching parties. This was a long time coming. I was hoping with Trump and a Republican Senate that there might be some actual progress on lowering government spending and having a balanced budget. I don't recall it ever being a discussion even pre-dating COVID. In hindsight I should've known better. I don't think either of the 2 parties give a shit about the yearly deficits/debt.

So I didn't register as a libertarian because of Trump, but his administration was the final straw. The Republican party has not represented me for a long time. The Democrats don't either. Libertarian or independent were really my only 2 choices.

In regards to China, man, there are no good answers. No real way to compete against mass production of goods made by practical slave labor. I would really need to read more about the positive and negative effects of the tariffs. But the status quo wasn't working either. I don't know what the answers are. But all of D.C. needs to figure out a way to give American manufacturing the best chance of success. I also think it will take a massive shift in citizens being proud to buy American and looking to buy American, even if it means paying more for goods. Problem with that too though, is there are millions of Americans that can't pay more and are barely getting by. Tough sledding to find solutions in a global economy.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
SunnySide
Playmaker

Senate races are going to be equally as impactful and watched.

If one party can control both, buckle up. If its split, then good old gridlock comes in like we saw during Obamas presidency (which honestly may be the best thing for this country to calm down a bit vs either party having complete power like we saw the past 4 years).

-------------------------------------------

HOUSTON (AP) — A federal judge on Monday rejected another last-ditch Republican effort to invalidate nearly 127,000 votes in Houston because the ballots were cast at drive-thru polling centers established during the pandemic.

The lawsuit was brought by conservative Texas activists who have railed against expanded voting access in Harris County, where a record 1.4 million early votes have already been cast. The county is the nation’s third largest and a crucial battleground in Texas, where President Donald Trump and Republicans are bracing for the closest election in decades on Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-rej...203516056.html
^^ this always seemed to be a long shot to not have the votes counted

The anticipated challenge to federal Court in PA re counting votes mailed on or before Nov 3 but received after Nov 3 is going to be very contentious if the election is close.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Senate races are going to be equally as impactful and watched.

If one party can control both, buckle up. If its split, then good old gridlock comes in like we saw during Obamas presidency (which honestly may be the best thing for this country to calm down a bit vs either party having complete power like we saw the past 4 years).

-------------------------------------------

HOUSTON (AP) — A federal judge on Monday rejected another last-ditch Republican effort to invalidate nearly 127,000 votes in Houston because the ballots were cast at drive-thru polling centers established during the pandemic.

The lawsuit was brought by conservative Texas activists who have railed against expanded voting access in Harris County, where a record 1.4 million early votes have already been cast. The county is the nation’s third largest and a crucial battleground in Texas, where President Donald Trump and Republicans are bracing for the closest election in decades on Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-rej...203516056.html
^^ this always seemed to be a long shot to not have the votes counted

The anticipated challenge to federal Court in PA re counting votes mailed on or before Nov 3 but received after Nov 3 is going to be very contentious if the election is close.
I don't think it's even a possibility for Republicans. But this time around, I'd prefer that whoever wins, controls the House and Senate too. Even moreso if Biden wins. I want Democrats to have the 4 years to do whatever they want and see how it works out. Then in 2024 we could have a normal election between a non-Trump Republican candidate vs. Kamala Harris/Her Running Mate. No way Biden runs for a 2nd term.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
SunnySide
Playmaker

Good morning warpath

hey, maybe things wont be a complete shit show
Old 11-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Good morning warpath

hey, maybe things wont be a complete shit show
From you keyboard to God's screen.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
SunnySide
Playmaker

More than 96 million Americans have voted nationwide with one day left until Election Day, according to a survey of election officials by CNN, Edison Research and Catalist.   
These votes represent more than 45% of registered voters nationwide. Eighteen states and Washington, DC, have seen more than half of their registered voters cast ballots already.

Nationwide, the more than 96 million ballots already cast represents 70% of the more than 136.5 million ballots cast in the 2016 presidential election.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/02/polit...ion/index.html

Half the registered votes already voted.

I dropped off my ballot this morning at Long Reach HS in Columbia MD and there was no line. Everything was quiet and normal. I do wish I had just voted in person since I decided to wait until today to actually put my mail-in ballot in a drop box and I was right there with no line to wait (8 am).

My driver license is expired (thanks covid) so that really was the deciding factor for me.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #11
SunnySide
Playmaker

However, after the American Revolution, the boozy fruit-and-spice cake became better known as Election Cakes, after women would bring the baked goods to polling places for the white men, who were allowed to vote at the time, to eat.

The first recorded recipe for the patriotic confection was written in 1796 by Amelia Simmons in her second edition book, "American Cookery," according to Bon Appetit. The recipe required 30 quarts of flour, 10 pounds of butter, 14 pounds of sugar and three dozen eggs, among spices, alcohol and 12 pounds of raisins. Several different recipes for Election Cake have since been logged, calling for different ingredients, though all seemingly have the same yeast base.
https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/e...ican-tradition

We have an election cake? I know its America and we go big ... but dang, 10 pounds of butter? 12 nasty ass pounds of raisins?
Old 11-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #12
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I hope everyone votes today and be safe.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I hope everyone votes today and be safe.
A vote for Bigly is a vote for freedom.

A vote for Biden is a vote more government control in your life.

It’s not a even close, Bigly for me

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Vote Kanye!

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #15
SunnySide
Playmaker

Before Kanye was Kanye and was an unknown, Talib Kweli let him be one of the opening acts. kayne stopped his show miday through because the crowd wasnt giving him the right energy. talib told him never stop the damn show.

Im not a fan of Kanye but his beats pre-fame were amazing.

https://youtu.be/W3mtcIyBmRY

^^ if you never heard the 'Get By" remix .. its one of the best hip hop songs ever.

I think Kanye produced 'Sunshine" by mos def as well. Kanye was the Beatles of beats right up there with DJ Premiere .. then he got all weird.