Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

MLB 2014 Season

Other Sports

Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #91
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: MLB 2014 Season

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #92
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Well when you have Laroach, Werth and a guy making a ton of money sitting on the bench (Zimmerman) as your primary middle-of-the line up guys you will never win in the playoffs. Nats fan need to be rooting for a trade of Zim and Laroach, they suck ass
I think LaRoche is gone this offseason, both him and Werth were nonexistant this series (pretty much everyone not named Harper or Rendon were too). Zimmerman will probably slide over to first next year so he can stay in the everyday lineup. Talk about a lack of hitting, they made Peavy/Hudson/Vogelsong look like Scherzer/Verlander/Price. Can't understand how your entire lineup (minus 2) goes into a slump at the start of the playoffs.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #93
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think LaRoche is gone this offseason, both him and Werth were nonexistant this series (pretty much everyone not named Harper or Rendon were too). Zimmerman will probably slide over to first next year so he can stay in the everyday lineup. Talk about a lack of hitting, they made Peavy/Hudson/Vogelsong look like Scherzer/Verlander/Price. Can't understand how your entire lineup (minus 2) goes into a slump at the start of the playoffs.
Hudson and Vogelsong were terrible the second half. Hudson was one of the worst starting pitcher in the league the last 2 months. There is no excuse, Williams got outcoached big time.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #94
RFKRat
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Hudson and Vogelsong were terrible the second half. Hudson was one of the worst starting pitcher in the league the last 2 months. There is no excuse, Williams got outcoached big time.
Honestly, I think again, for the 3rd year in a row now, the Nationals were way overhyped. Maybe not overrated, but pretty close. You can look great beating up on the weak NL East down the stretch but against seasoned playoff teams like SF or StL you're going to run into trouble. How many errors, mental mistakes did the Nats make vs. the Giants? How many composure breakdowns, etc. How many guys like LaRoche and Werth who are veterans, again failed to deliver?

I'm hoping the Nats don't spiral into the pattern of death the Redskins and Capitals are in. The Wizards the jury is still out on. They won one playoff series over a banged up Bulls team and suddenly they're a conference contender...uh huh. But the Redskins and Caps have failure in the blood, in the DNA.

The Nats are still young enough to hopefully avoid that, but this is three straight years now of disappointment. Great regular seasons but playoff chokes. Just like the Caps of 2008-2012 or whatever. Sounds exactly like the Nats. Young, talented, bright future, winning division titles, being the favorite, and failing to get out of the first round of the playoffs.
RFKRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #95
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Yeah I dont know about loser DNA or that stuff, but Nats and Wiz have good young talent. I think the best is yet to come. With the Nats, the concerns are the dumb contracts and a good number of young guys coming due. I think you need to move Werth or Zim...get Stras, Rendon, Ramos, and Bryce secured into long term deals. Ian Desmond and Fister need to stick around too. Gio is locked up which is good.

RFK you sound a lil like Czaben.

He Gets Us
Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #96
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The Nationals, like the Caps, have basically rendered their regular season meaningless for me. I don't care what they do from April-September. I just want to see them do something next October
Old 10-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #97
over the mountain
Playmaker

nats have a solid group.

amazing SP and they have legit MLB bats.

the undoing was the bullpen and lack of timely hitting. this team will grow together and figure it out. youd think w laroche, werth and zimm they would already have a vet presence and ready to produce in the postseason though ..

i hope nats fans can cheer for the Os. i know a lot of Os fans were pulling for the nats.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #98
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
nats have a solid group.

amazing SP and they have legit MLB bats.

the undoing was the bullpen and lack of timely hitting. this team will grow together and figure it out. youd think w laroche, werth and zimm they would already have a vet presence and ready to produce in the postseason though ..

i hope nats fans can cheer for the Os. i know a lot of Os fans were pulling for the nats.
I'll be rooting for the O's. My here-on-out rooting interests look like:

>O's
>Royals
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>meteor
>
>
>
>Giants
>Cardinals

I know most Nats fans probably hate the Giants more than the Cards right now, but I despise the Cards. Even Giants fans that were talking shit can't make me hate them as much as I hate the Cards.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #99
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKRat View Post
Honestly, I think again, for the 3rd year in a row now, the Nationals were way overhyped. Maybe not overrated, but pretty close. You can look great beating up on the weak NL East down the stretch but against seasoned playoff teams like SF or StL you're going to run into trouble. How many errors, mental mistakes did the Nats make vs. the Giants? How many composure breakdowns, etc. How many guys like LaRoche and Werth who are veterans, again failed to deliver?

I'm hoping the Nats don't spiral into the pattern of death the Redskins and Capitals are in. The Wizards the jury is still out on. They won one playoff series over a banged up Bulls team and suddenly they're a conference contender...uh huh. But the Redskins and Caps have failure in the blood, in the DNA.

The Nats are still young enough to hopefully avoid that, but this is three straight years now of disappointment. Great regular seasons but playoff chokes. Just like the Caps of 2008-2012 or whatever. Sounds exactly like the Nats. Young, talented, bright future, winning division titles, being the favorite, and failing to get out of the first round of the playoffs.
It is hard to say they were overhyped. While the MLB schedule is division heavy, the Nats were solid against some very quality teams. I think much like the Cincinnati Reds of the last 5 years or so they put together great regular seasons but just don't have the pieces for the playoffs. I would even put the current Pittsburgh Pirates roster in that conversation too.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #100
over the mountain
Playmaker

heading home now .. the city better be rocking.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #101
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

I'm an O's fan before I am a Nats fan since I grew up on O's baseball and then the Nats got their home team. (I really really love both teams though)

I rarely ever want to see Baltimore be better than Washington at anything, but in this case, I'll be thrilled to see the Orioles in the WS.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #102
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'm pulling for the O's but hard to root against the royals.

He Gets Us
Old 10-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #103
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

The O's are breaking my heart. Bud Norris and Darren O Day (and I f'ing love O Day), have several seats.

The hitters are doing all they can to keep them in the game but the pitchers and the bullpen have absolutely blown and last night the O's went through every single reliever except Brach.

Meh.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #104
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Sucks for the O's. They need to invest in a no 1 starter, team is solid everywhere else

He Gets Us
Old 10-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #105
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Well that weekend in Baltimore was depressing. If the O's win one game this series I hope it is the one Guthrie is starting.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote