Tax bill

Debating with the enemy

Old 12-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #91
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Tax bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Example. Firm currently pays 100 in taxes to China, and 20 in the US.

Now with the new rate, the firm shifts its base to the US. Now the 20 it was paying to the US goes down to 12, it stops paying the 100 to China, and instead pays 80 to the US.

Add that up. Before, corporation paid 120 in total. Now it pays 92.

Before, the US collected 20. Now it collects 92.

Corporation benefits, US benefits, China loses. This is a simplified illustration but that’s the concept.
See this is the difference between you and me.While I do believe you believe that what you have posted is 100% accurate ,I believe in your example that the Firm will stay in Chine due to Labor cost and not taxes .It is why many CEO's have admitted the tax bill break will be use to pay dividends to investors's "not to create jobs".
Example, Tax rate goes down but trump and daughter Ivanka still will have their clothing line made in China,nothing has moved back to the United States but trumps company make more money.

Found this and it was interesting ........

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/tax-reform-2

Last edited by Giantone; 12-22-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #92
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
See this is the difference between you and me.While I do believe you believe that what you have posted is 100% accurate ,I believe in your example that the Firm will stay in Chine due to Labor cost and not taxes .It is why many CEO's have admitted the tax bill break will be use to pay dividends to investors's "not to create jobs".
Example, Tax rate goes down but trump and daughter Ivanka still will have their clothing line made in China,nothing has moved back to the United States but trumps company make more money.

Found this and it was interesting ........

Oh my God. Honestly, you're either too stupid, too ill informed, or possibly both, to continue with this conversation.

When companies say they won't bring the money home, they don't mean they would physically move their operations out of China. It means they will route their profits through the US instead of China. In my Apple example, when did I ever say Apple actually makes its iPhones in Ireland?

Physical assets will not move, but the money will. This corporate tax reduction is not about creating jobs, it is about making sure that profits generated actually get taxed by the US. It creates tax revenue, not jobs.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #93
Schneed10
A Dude

I don't understand why so many Americans form opinions about things they don't understand.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #94
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't understand why so many Americans form opinions about things they don't understand.
especially with so many resources available to them. With G1, it really comes down to one thing...this is a GOP presented legislation...if this would have been similar Dem tax bill he would be arguing for it.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #95
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
especially with so many resources available to them. With G1, it really comes down to one thing...this is a GOP presented legislation...if this would have been similar Dem tax bill he would be arguing for it.
You're assuming again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEP1acj29-Y
Old 12-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #96
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
No, he's using past experiences and "discussions" with you as a basis for forming an opinion.

Personally, I only will interact with you to a certain degree because you have never displayed much of an ability to use critical thinking skills, and you often use false dilemnas and other pitfalls to move what you think your argument is.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, because you are a good poster here in the football arena, BUT
when it comes to the debating topics, I really wish you would look at that link and work on your debate skills.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #97
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm certainly guilty of this on some gut belief type things, maybe even the following reply, .

Amuricans have access to a ton of divergent views, we mostly read those
articles which fit our narrative (or are blatantly anti- our opinion which gives a negative feedback loop of reinforcing our belief), so we become more convinced that our opinion holds value against other stated opinions.

Second, we've all heard there are no stupid questions, which is supposed to encourage multiple points of views, but the fact is that while maybe no question is stupid, it's doesn't mean that there are not some anwers which are wrong, or right. (flat earth questions aren't stupid the first time an 8 year old asks it, but if you are still asking it at 22, then you aren't really looking for true answers), which leads us to the final and most important reason

Like I said to G1, most US citizens have basic critical thinking skills at best. It should be a 9th to 10th grade class, maybe younger, and with lots of reinforcement training. but it's not
Old 12-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #98
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
No, I would not.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #99
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think a lot of the opponents of this are arguing semantics. 80% of the public will see positive numbers from this for the next 7 years. That seems like a good thing.

Further, I doubt that the 20% that see "pain" will see overarching NEW federal tax burdens killing them.
  • it's funny to me that the ones who may see the most pain are the ones who have the highest state taxes, simple solution, vote in local legislatures that will reduce state outlays - I'm looking at you CA and NY)
  • also funny, the high tax states like NY, NJ, CA, DC, OR, or CT, how many voted for Trump or Republicans? Is it really THAT shocking that they see the least benefit or are going to receive the least consideration.
  • Here is a map of the senate election results - geography quiz - how many republican senators were elected from NY, NJ, CA, DC, OR, or CT?
  • geography quiz #2 - how many high tax states have a plurality of Republicans in Congress? again, here is a map of the House votes by party holding plurality in each state to help you out
To the bold section. I think that was designed to directly target high state taxes by removing the federal deduction to fit congressional republican agendas. High state taxes allow states to provide essential services and rely less heavily on the federal government. Most federal money takers are low tax states. I think this causes a push towards less state reliance and decreased state taxes and will cause the states to rely more on federal funds to meet essential needs which is what congress wants imo.

To the italicized section. That was also a slight towards "blue states" Not having a voice since the republicans basically eliminated the democrats from the conversation. Is that because of an agenda to push those states into turmoil in order to gain political influence or partisan politics as usual?
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #100
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
To the bold section. I think that was designed to directly target high state taxes by removing the federal deduction to fit congressional republican agendas. High state taxes allow states to provide essential services and rely less heavily on the federal government. Most federal money takers are low tax states. I think this causes a push towards less state reliance and decreased state taxes and will cause the states to rely more on federal funds to meet essential needs which is what congress wants imo.

To the italicized section. That was also a slight towards "blue states" Not having a voice since the republicans basically eliminated the democrats from the conversation. Is that because of an agenda to push those states into turmoil in order to gain political influence or partisan politics as usual?
to the first bolded part, that's an interesting take - you think Republicans want to push states to rely on more federal spending by reducing the power of state exemptions to federal tax.

on the second bolded part: Blue states are going to use attacks on Trump to gain more local power so I doubt Republicans are trying to push those states into turmoil (personal bias belief: most Blue states already are in some turmoil from years of Democratic agendas being implemented and failing). I think it's more likely a nod from Republicans that Democratic voters in those states are not going to switch, so why try to appease them when the base that has won the Republicans both state and federal elections can be strengthened by reducing things like State and Local deductions.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #101
dmek25
MVP

credskinsrule, is this what this board has come to? you personally attacking another member? if you dont think giant1 is up to your level as far as some topics, why not skip over it? no need to try and embarass someone here. we are supposed to be amongst friends
Old 12-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #102
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
credskinsrule, is this what this board has come to? you personally attacking another member? if you dont think giant1 is up to your level as far as some topics, why not skip over it? no need to try and embarass someone here. we are supposed to be amongst friends
Wait. As I said G1 is a good poster in the football threads. I was pointing out IN RESPONSE TO HIS COMMENT TO CHICO that his debate skills aren't very good. I tried to make it constructive criticism, and I didn't bring my d*** size into it.

If you felt it was over the top I am sorry for that, but G1 has been on the board for a long time and has shown a particular ability in debate topics. Chico didnt need to assume to know G1s opinions and I don't feel its particularly inappropriate to encourage critical thinking skills at any point in time.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #103
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Wait. As I said G1 is a good poster in the football threads. I was pointing out IN RESPONSE TO HIS COMMENT TO CHICO that his debate skills aren't very good. I tried to make it constructive criticism, and I didn't bring my d*** size into it.

If you felt it was over the top I am sorry for that, but G1 has been on the board for a long time and has shown a particular ability in debate topics. Chico didnt need to assume to know G1s opinions and I don't feel its particularly inappropriate to encourage critical thinking skills at any point in time.
Post #64 I was responding to Schneed10 not you.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #104
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Post #64 I was responding to Schneed10 not you.
My comment was also about Schneeds posts not yours.

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 12-23-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #105
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
My comment was also about Schneeds posts not yours.
I apologize if I was incorrect ,I just never saw his name in the comments.