do you speed?

Parking Lot

Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #91
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: do you speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
All I know is it's up to the police to monitor and enforce traffic, not some tough guy who thinks he rules the road. In the end your passive aggressive behavior is no better than the all out road ragers and it only contributes to the problem. But hey have fun playing traffic cop.
No it doesn't. It slows people down. And that's safer every day of the week.

The less the speed differential between cars on the road, the safer the road. Someone said it earlier, an elderly dude going 45 when everyone else is going 65 is just as dangerous as someone going 85 when everyone else is going 65.

The speed differential is what limits reaction times. Eliminate that differential and you have a safer road.

Come on, argue the logic. You're all tied up in the fact that I'm a combative jerk. Cool your heads and debate. Explain to me how I'm wrong? GMScud said this point could be argued the other way, well I still haven't heard anyone argue it.

Advertisements
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #92
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
What if it was someone with a legit emergency that was flashing their lights? Granted 99% of the time it's just probably some a-hole, but what if it's that one time where someone has a legit reason?

To me it's just easy to move over and let them go. Sooner or later they're going to get theirs.
I know, I know. Sometimes I count on karma to take care of people, but sometimes people are just such assholes that I can't help myself and that's one my faults. I DO remember one occasion where a car was BLOWING up the highway with their flashers on and they got right up on me. For me, that was definitely a signal I needed to move. The person in the passenger seat looked like they were unconscious or something. Like you said, 99% of those situations someone will be a total asshole, but sometimes it could be serious.

Maybe people in emergency situations don't have the presence of mind at the time to turn on their flashers, but I would for sure get out of someone's way who had those on.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #93
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
No it doesn't. It slows people down. And that's safer every day of the week.

The less the speed differential between cars on the road, the safer the road. Someone said it earlier, an elderly dude going 45 when everyone else is going 65 is just as dangerous as someone going 85 when everyone else is going 65.

The speed differential is what limits reaction times. Eliminate that differential and you have a safer road.

Come on, argue the logic. You're all tied up in the fact that I'm a combative jerk. Cool your heads and debate. Explain to me how I'm wrong? GMScud said this point could be argued the other way, well I still haven't heard anyone argue it.
The simple logic is you're NOT A COP dude. It's not your job to monitor and enforce traffic flow.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #94
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod View Post
What would you have suggested I do in my situation? I was in a differnet state. I raced home to be beside my child in her time of need. As I said before, i don't speed, but I think I had a legit reason that day.

I wonder if your child was having a medical emergency if you would feel the same way.

"abrassive personality" , Thats putting it mildly.
If you were to go 85 or 95, how much time would it save you? In case you're not a math person, over the course of a 120-mile trip, it would save you 9 minutes.

I have no idea of the nature of the emergency. Hopefully someone called 911 so professionals could be on the scene. But I still don't see the logic in endangering the lives of drivers around you to save 10 minutes.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #95
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
The simple logic is you're NOT A COP dude. It's not your job to monitor and enforce traffic flow.
Why is that relevant? If you can break the law by going 95, why can't I break the law by blocking the left lane?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #96
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
What if it was someone with a legit emergency that was flashing their lights? Granted 99% of the time it's just probably some a-hole, but what if it's that one time where someone has a legit reason?

To me it's just easy to move over and let them go. Sooner or later they're going to get theirs.
To be fair, if I saw blinking hazards I'd move over. Like TMC said it would probably signal me that something's up.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #97
saden1
MVP

This thread is degrading to "my roulette system works" level. BTW, if cops wouldn't approve of your actions you probably shouldn't do it.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #98
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I agree with S10 about justify driving fast becasue of an emergence, doesn't make sense even if it was my son. I am not a DR I am going there to give him my support, in all reality the medical team is probably already there with him. Why should I endanger myself and the publics, would getting in an accident help the stituation? No. You should always ask someone to drive you in a stituation like that, if possible.

Also if the accident occured in front of you and you feel you must rush this person to the hospital you are better off calling 911 for an ambulance. Yes you may make it there quicker to the hospital but remeber the ambulance is going to adminster care as soon as they get to the scene. I learned this the hard way when my son had an extreme case of the flu, I figured it would be easier to drive him there and quicker. Guess what happen he started puking in the car and need my help. I had to pull over help him and call the ambulance to meet me on the road (try explainin them to exactly where you are, not fun). He was three months old at the time and didn't know how to clear his mouth of vomit so he would start choking on it and I need to clear it. Never again will I try to rush him to the hospital.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #99
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
This thread is degrading to "my roulette system works" level. BTW, if cops wouldn't approve of your actions you probably shouldn't do it.
I think if people just cool off and debate, it will be fine.

And to your second point which I bolded, exactly my sentiments: don't speed. Ask any cop which is more dangerous/less advisable:

A) Speeding at 20+ mph over the speed limit (aka reckless driving)
B) Blocking traffic in the left lane by going a steady 75.

I think they'll choose A, and I think I can say that pretty safely. If I can do something to make the road safer, I'm going to do it, and until I get pulled over for it I'll keep doing it.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #100
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
If you were to go 85 or 95, how much time would it save you? In case you're not a math person, over the course of a 120-mile trip, it would save you 9 minutes.

I have no idea of the nature of the emergency. Hopefully someone called 911 so professionals could be on the scene. But I still don't see the logic in endangering the lives of drivers around you to save 10 minutes.
What if you're Ryan Moats's wife and those 9 minutes are the difference between having one final moment with your mom...or not?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #101
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
This is a generalized post not entirely directed in response to Matty's post above:

- To Matty's point. If you have an emergency, call friggin 911! What the hell are you doing trying to drive somewhere yourself? That's why they have sirens and flashing lights.

- Just because it's an "emergency" and you're driving, doesn't make excessive speeding any less illegal.

- Glad to hear there is at least one other person on this site who's willing to stand up for safe driving. TMC makes great points. The most significant of which is basically: if you're speeding excessively or driving aggressively, you have no right to criticize the legality of blocking the left lane. If you can break the law by speeding, you can't get mad at me for blocking the left lane. How is one more legal, or justifiable, than the other?

- I see that my abrasive personality, combined with my combative stance against speeders, has pissed off more than one person on this site. I say good. I love you for being a Redskins fan, but slow down. Instead of getting caught up in battling me because I'm an asshole, I ask you to address the purpose of this thread and give me one, ONE rational reason why you need to go 95 mph on the road?

If you're going 85 I really don't care all that much. But if you're going 95, bring it, start actually debating this. Why do you need to go that fast?
Has anyone here said they regularly travel 95mph and defended as much?

Speeding is not more legal or justifiable than becoming a highway vigilante like yourself. So I guess we're all just hypocrites then.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #102
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What if you're Ryan Moats's wife and those 9 minutes are the difference between having one final moment with your mom...or not?
Well he was detained by a cop, so that's different.

But in the world of the hypothetical, I guess put on your flashers. Like I said, that would probably signal me that something's up.

But you really shouldn't be driving if you're in a tough emotional state like that, regardless of the speed you're going.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #103
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

I would not be shelfish enough to endanger others so that ?I could spend the last 9 minutes with my mom. Nothing justifys endanger other people's lives or your own by driving reckless and fast.

My cop friend always says the most dangerous weapon you can give someone is an automoblie. I tend to agree with him.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #104
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Quote:

the last thing on my mind was how much time I would save by going 95. The only thing on mind was I needed to be with my child ASAP. And I was flashing my lights and had my hazards on and all I know is he was acting just like you.

All I'm saying is 2 wrongs don't make a right. And the major point is you don't know why a person might be speeding.

Hypothetical scenario: Lets take the Ryan Moats situation and change it up a bit. Lets say he got a call saying a family member was dying and he needed to come now. He follows the speed limt and gets to the hospital only to find out he was 5 minutes too late. I would bet if you were in this situation you would drive as fast as you could to be beside a loved one who was dying.

In my situation I was 22 years old and my wife was 20. Our daughter was having a serious medical issue and while 911 was called, It was my responsibility to be there. You are right, endangering the lives of others is never a good thing but at the time, I did what was necessary and someone like you was just being an asshole vigilante traffic cop.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #105
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Well he was detained by a cop, so that's different.

But in the world of the hypothetical, I guess put on your flashers. Like I said, that would probably signal me that something's up.

But you really shouldn't be driving if you're in a tough emotional state like that, regardless of the speed you're going.
Come on man. Be realistic. Put yourself in his shoes. If your wife's mother was just minutes from death, you both would be upset and emotional about it. Would you tell your wife, sorry honey, I'm too sad to drive us to the hospital?