Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

The 2012 London Summer Olympics Thread

Other Sports

Old 08-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #91
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: The 2012 London Summer Olympics Thread

Luxury lifestyle for North Korean winners, losers may fear fate - Yahoo! News

You have to feel for athletes that are representing countries like North Korea. You fail, and it could mean ending up in a prison camp. Much like the stories we heard with Iraqi athletes.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #92
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

The U.S. Already Had Gold Locked Up After This Floor Disaster From Russia's World Champion, So NBC Didn't Show It To You

I think NBC has done a piss poor job with how they've handled their broadcasts, between now showing the big events during the day to the spoilers that have aired moments before races. I've used the Live Action app on my iPad, and the experience is just ok (no commentary for the events, some of the events desperately need the commentary), just wish they would stream the primetime feed.

They blatently skewed their broadcast last night knowing that the US Women had pretty much secured gold before stepping foot onto the mat for their floor routines.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #93
Monkeydad
Living Legend

It's NBC, what do you expect? They skew everything.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #94
firstdown
Living Legend

All of the coverage from the net works, internet, sports stations, radio, etc... keep just blabbing out the results before the event is aired. Last night my wife sat down to watch the Olympics as she opened up her lap top MSN had all the results right on their main page. Ruined it for her. I don't care if they want to post the results just warn us first.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #95
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

There are hundreds of camera shots you don't see at any event, I don't really see what the big deal is. What I saw last night (and again this morning) on NBC did show the Russians reacting, just not that exact shot.

Commentary would be great but sometimes that's just not the most cost effective thing to do. Not across the board at least.

I do believe though that more events should have been offered live online. Even if repeated on TV later in the day the ratings still would have been record breaking
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #96
FRPLG
MVP

I swear to god. Everyone needs to get over it. Seriously. The GD games are on the other side of the earth and the events all take place during the day (here). Get the eff over it people. NBC is damn if they do and damned if they don't. They cannot, no matter how much people would like, reverse the the static effects of the space-time-continuum nor can they stop everyone and their brother from reporting on results. They are a business that has to try and make money. If you didn't know that the women had already won then did it matter that they presented the event in a way to make it more exciting to the viewer? Why does anyone care? They didn't change the results.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #97
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well they probably didn't need to run a promo touting an interview with "gold medal winner Missy Franklin" right before her race. That probably could have been scheduled better.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #98
Monksdown
The Starter

i care more about the results, than i do about seeing it happen. I certainly dont get upset about it. I dont expect them to keep the results from me. As they shouldnt expect me to have an increased desire to watch the event. It's a fair trade.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #99
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well they probably didn't need to run a promo touting an interview with "gold medal winner Missy Franklin" right before her race. That probably could have been scheduled better.
They need to move the broadcast to ESPN in 2016.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #100
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Me personally, I don't visit ESPN unless it's the NFL page, nor do I scan other news related stuff if I plan on watching the Olympics. I had no idea last night about the women's gymnastics winning gold before I watched it. Made it that much better!
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #101
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
They need to move the broadcast to ESPN in 2016.
We tried. I had the joy of co-chairing the Olympics Digital Media committee for ESPN. Do you know how hard it is to build out a 20 year Olympics plan? Damn near impossible. Anyhow, we put together what we thought was a fair offer. But alas did not get it.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #102
JPPT1974
Special Teams

NBC is getting even huge ratings than the Beijing Games. Beijing had the better Opening Ceremonies. But still London games are great!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #103
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

My only problem with NBC was their removal of the Brits tribute to those killed recently in a terrorist act. Shows very little class.

NBC coverage: Outrage by claiming 7/7 tribute in Olympic Opening Ceremony 'wasn't tailored to U.S. audience' | Mail Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
NBC is getting even huge ratings than the Beijing Games. Beijing had the better Opening Ceremonies. But still London games are great!

Better? Depends on what aspect you are judging it by. The reason I liked London's opening ceremonies so much is because they paid tribute to their history, their cultural, and to their politics. I don't recall seeing China give a nod to communism or to their health care like the Brits did. Visually? I think the Chinese put on a performance that has blown away any other Olympic opening ceremonies I've seen. My favorite part was probably the drummers, which was awe inspiring to say the least.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #104
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
They did that last night with Lochte right before his race!

They said "Watch Ryan Lochte tomorrow, who already has a silver and 2 golds..." right before his race. Idiots. Thanks for spoiling it for me.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #105
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I swear to god. Everyone needs to get over it. Seriously. The GD games are on the other side of the earth and the events all take place during the day (here). Get the eff over it people. NBC is damn if they do and damned if they don't. They cannot, no matter how much people would like, reverse the the static effects of the space-time-continuum nor can they stop everyone and their brother from reporting on results. They are a business that has to try and make money. If you didn't know that the women had already won then did it matter that they presented the event in a way to make it more exciting to the viewer? Why does anyone care? They didn't change the results.
I don't have a problem with them giving the results just give people a warning or make them click a box before doing so. Its much better to watch when you don't know the results and right now its near impossible to go all day without hearing them.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote