Baltimore riots

Debating with the enemy

Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #91
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
My brothers friend is a little over 40 and he is a retired firefighter getting over 100k per year for the rest of his life. He started when he was 17 as a vol in training or something. somehow getting a double pension. whole family are retired fire fighters.

hard to argue guys who run into fires to save the public dont deserve public money though. but to be retired and paid over 100k for the rest of your life and to be able to go work and do another job .... is a dream.
I asked a volunteer firefighter buddy of mine about this. (We are in North Carolina.) Basically he thought that 100k was a lot for a pension, but he could understand if the guy was a chief, or even "just" a captain of a large company(station) or higher, given wages are higher in say New York, compared to Raleigh. Retiring at 40 does sound awfully young to him.... Had to be unionized, he said. Great benefits and they don't cross train as much as non-unionized firemen do.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #92
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
I asked a volunteer firefighter buddy of mine about this. (We are in North Carolina.) Basically he thought that 100k was a lot for a pension, but he could understand if the guy was a chief, or even "just" a captain of a large company(station) or higher, given wages are higher in say New York, compared to Raleigh. Retiring at 40 does sound awfully young to him.... Had to be unionized, he said. Great benefits and they don't cross train as much as non-unionized firemen do.
yeah my brother said he started real young as a vol under 18 even, whole family of fire fighters. hes in his 40s, not 40, but i was shocked. earning a double pension thing to me i dont understand. the math doesnt work. maybe he is not retired bc he seems to go to the station a lot still. can you get pension and still work?

thanks for worrying about me but im good. i make good money. i lived on st charles street in the garden district of new orleans 2 years ago.

just made a poor decision when we picked this spot. bad block in a borderline part of town. we have the whole floor w cathedral ceilings and what not but ...... that fucking rat. i must find that fucking rat. half the time im at home im just moving things around, checking all the floor boards, checking all the traps. is driving me insane.

i can do flying cock roaches, lizards and mice but i cant do juvenile rats. they just dont know how to act in a house.

july 1st we are gone.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #93
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

My next door neighbor is an FF here in Collier County, Fl
Many if not most have another occupation on the side as it is to hard to make it on F-mans pay. They get pretty good medical and other bennies (county emps) but the county has been making noises about cutting bennies and retirement perks as a budget cutting move. It is prompting many including my NDN to start looking for another occupation........
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #94
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

A seperate note. I am sitting in a pizza hut in Ellicott city. Near me are two tables full of people celebrating the end of a girls basketballcs team season. A lot of laughing happy people everyone singing happy birthday to one of the adults. Its a very happy scene.

Why do I bring it up? You may have guessed. Its a group of 40 people, blacks whites Indians and they all are in harmony. Just makes me sad that so much strife exists over race.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:47 AM   #95
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
yeah my brother said he started real young as a vol under 18 even, whole family of fire fighters. hes in his 40s, not 40, but i was shocked. earning a double pension thing to me i dont understand. the math doesnt work. maybe he is not retired bc he seems to go to the station a lot still. can you get pension and still work?

Just some info ,here in Maryland the rules on FF are broken down to full time and volunteer and all so by the county you work in /live in .A very good friend of mine was a volunteer for over 30 years and now gets a small pension and the closest union Fire department I know of is in DC ,not saying there aren't any in MD I just don't know of them .Another fact is some guys work two jobs ,full time at one place and as a volunteer at another .You are right ,I admit that these still either working or not all still hang at the station .
Old 05-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #96
Hog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
A seperate note. I am sitting in a pizza hut in Ellicott city. Near me are two tables full of people celebrating the end of a girls basketballcs team season. A lot of laughing happy people everyone singing happy birthday to one of the adults. Its a very happy scene.

Why do I bring it up? You may have guessed. Its a group of 40 people, blacks whites Indians and they all are in harmony. Just makes me sad that so much strife exists over race.

Sent from my S6 Edge
Racist MF..r
African Americans.......Native Americans......(or possibly Indian Americans?)
and other asundry...xxxxxxxx/Americans
Old 05-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #97
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
July 1st we are gone.
good deal. Glad to hear it.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #98
JPPT1974
Special Teams

First there was Ferguson, then NYC, now Baltimore. You would think we would learn from those. Guess not?!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #99
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The Baltimore Sun

I think its finally time to admit the Mayor, PD, and the entire administration has loss control of the city.

My question is why are so many folks dying up there?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #100
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:

thanks for worrying about me but im good. i make good money. i lived on st charles street in the garden district of new orleans 2 years ago.

just made a poor decision when we picked this spot. bad block in a borderline part of town. we have the whole floor w cathedral ceilings and what not but ...... that fucking rat. i must find that fucking rat. half the time im at home im just moving things around, checking all the floor boards, checking all the traps. is driving me insane.

i can do flying cock roaches, lizards and mice but i cant do juvenile rats. they just dont know how to act in a house.

july 1st we are gone.

Where I used to live in Southern California I knew quite a few fireman and County Sheriffs. At the time all of them said their pension was based on an
average of their 3 highest paying years. Cashed out vacation and sick time at the end of employment counted toward that amount and they earned 10 sick days, plus holidays and vacation was 2 weeks at a year, 3 weeks at 5 years and 4 weeks at 10 years. You could retire at 50% pay after 20 years, 2/3rds at 25 years and 75% at 30 years. You could use the sick days anyway you wanted. As you can see a person who rarely called in sick and just took off holidays and a week's vacation a year could have a huge chunk of money
to spike his last year's pay in unused sick and vacation days. Combine that with working a lot of overtime any two other years and you can game the system and actually get more money for life a year in retirement than you did if just working a 40 hour week.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #101
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The Baltimore Sun

I think its finally time to admit the Mayor, PD, and the entire administration has loss control of the city.

My question is why are so many folks dying up there?
Drugs, easy availability of illegal firearms, a police force under siege, corrupt local officials, destruction of the local middle class ...

It goes deep and requires hard honest answers/conversations from/between the police and African-American community, the African-American and white community, and all holding the powers that be accountable for the systemic corruption in all departments/divisions of the City's government.

In other words, it's going to continue to get worse.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #102
Hog1

As you well know, these are not unique problems, but are rather commonplace in many large cities in this country. One event away from a Bmore repeat.
BUT, while I agree with J about the "Honest" conversations that need to held. I would be......charitable if I said, that level of honesty does not exist in our leadership nor does anybody want to hear it at this time.....or in the foreseeable future.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #103
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
As you well know, these are not unique problems, but are rather commonplace in many large cities in this country. One event away from a Bmore repeat.
BUT, while I agree with J about the "Honest" conversations that need to held. I would be......charitable if I said, that level of honesty does not exist in our leadership nor does anybody want to hear it at this time.....or in the foreseeable future.
Maybe we need to remember the names of these victims, 43 known in May, as much as we remember the name Freddie Gray. Make a big deal about this. It's not everyone that's shooting and looting, it sounds like criminals. (I wonder how many cases are self-defense.) Thought black lives mattered, even when it's criminals not cops doing the killing.

Last edited by HailGreen28; 06-03-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #104
over the mountain
Playmaker

Baltimore seeks more federal aid in face of murder surge

Baltimore ... I dont think you are going to get all the special Federal and State grants and aides you have become dependent on. Fed govt is tightening up. The Mayor has publicly criticized the new Md Gov Hogan who already has pulled back earmarked State funding. He did give balt something like 20 mil from the states rainy day fund.

Now the Police Union wants to investigate the chain of command during the riots. im guessing to hit back at the mayor and State Atty office. Showing that the officers were put out to serve as nothing more than pinattas and target practice for 13 year old w rocks. then the union can claim a boat load more in workers comp and early pensions for all the officers that dont want to return to the force anyway. might as well get paid going out the door and take er easy for year or so on the balt city dime. at this point i dont blame them.

Mosby now doesnt want anything disclosed to the media to not taint the trial or perceptions ..... of course she requested the gag order right after she gave her one sided red meat "press conference" .....

-------------------------------------

Marilyn Mosby Claims Hacker ‘Favorited’ Anti-Cop & Anti-White Tweets From Her Personal Twitter Acct. | LibertyNEWS.com

she is also going to be a ring leader for the circus coming to town. true story.

get your face and name out there by any means necessary.

-----------------------

some teenagers just randomly decided to throw rocks at my lady and our 3 year old daughter on saturday. when i confronted them they ran to the housing project Perkins Homes.

so yeaaaaahhhhh .... go baltimore!!!

Last edited by over the mountain; 06-08-2015 at 04:51 PM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #105
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Documentary captures Baltimore's pain, inspires hope

Need more stories about these killings, and work on preventing them. And no I am not saying just play the blame game towards black residents, the way the blame game has in fact been played against police and whites in general. Work on solutions, like bringing in businesses (jobs) and rec centers (that actually provide alternatives to gangs), and I'm sure many other initiatives I don't know off the top of my head.