Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Samuels about to Retire

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #91
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Re: Chris Samuels about to Retire

In semi related news on the injury front. I did not know both Westbrook and Blades needed surgery. More IR to come..?

ESPN.com

IR for Samuels; surgery for 2 others

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels is out for the season, and linebacker H.B. Blades and cornerback Byron Westbrook are recovering from knee surgery.

The Redskins made the expected move of placing six-time Pro Bowl lineman Samuels on injured reserve Saturday. Samuels has a chronic spinal condition and will decide in a few months whether to return next season or retire.

Spokesman Zack Bolno also confirmed that Blades and Westbrook had knee operations this week. Both were injured in the Monday night loss to Philadelphia and will miss next week's game at Atlanta at least. Coach Jim Zorn is expected to update the status of both players Monday.

The Redskins have a bye this weekend.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 AM   #92
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Yeah.. 2 weeks out both of those guys were already doubtful.

Samuels just needs to hang it up; I know that he still has the spirit but it's just not worth it, especially considering that the NFL still doesn't have in place a solid system for handling post-playing health issues, though I believe that they are making those steps, as evidenced by the recent actions by Goodell. He could help us, but really it's our fault for expecting him to last 15 years or whatever.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #93
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I hate to say this, but Samuels needs to retire. He's in danger of being paralyzed, and it seems that even if that doesn't happen, he'd probably get injured again regardless. I'm sure competitors like Samuels would hate to leave the league not in their own terms, but I think it'd be stupid for him to jeopardize his health.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #94
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
In semi related news on the injury front. I did not know both Westbrook and Blades needed surgery. More IR to come..?

ESPN.com

IR for Samuels; surgery for 2 others

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels is out for the season, and linebacker H.B. Blades and cornerback Byron Westbrook are recovering from knee surgery.

The Redskins made the expected move of placing six-time Pro Bowl lineman Samuels on injured reserve Saturday. Samuels has a chronic spinal condition and will decide in a few months whether to return next season or retire.

Spokesman Zack Bolno also confirmed that Blades and Westbrook had knee operations this week. Both were injured in the Monday night loss to Philadelphia and will miss next week's game at Atlanta at least. Coach Jim Zorn is expected to update the status of both players Monday.

The Redskins have a bye this weekend.
Well maybe we will activate our 3rd pick CB Kevin Barnes this week against the Falcons. Boy what a wasted 3rd pick a CB.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #95
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Good read by Peter King on Samuels in his MMQB

Brett Favre elated he came back and that Vikings are winning - Peter King - SI.com

Two very good tackles -- Chris Samuels and Walter Jones -- are nearing the end, and that shouldn't be something just in small type this weekend.

Jones has been a better player, Samuels a better leader. I'm writing about them because I think we -- fans, media, people in the game -- are so inured to players near or at the end of their careers that we turn the page with no regard to the person who has to walk away. That's life. But each has been such an honorable player and person in the game that I think a few paragraphs need to be written about them.

Jones, who turns 36 in January, couldn't come back from microfracture surgery on his knee. He's going to try again in 2010, but the history of microfracture is such that anyone with that much wear on his tires, and at that age, is doubtful to return. "It's too early for a career eulogy,'' said Seattle coach Jim Mora, "but Walter's level of consistency, his level of excellence, is unmatched. In a world in which there's so much boastfulness now, and self-promotion, Walter's gone about his business in a very respectful and dignified way.''

Jones was dominant at the point of attack in the run game, and he had the feet to swing outside and latch onto the top pass-rushers. From this era, he and Jonathan Ogden will go down as top-10 tackles of all-time.

Samuels was drafted by the Redskins third overall in 2000 to be their left tackle for a decade. He almost made it. He's started 141 of 150 games, playing through painful shoulder, knee, ankle, back and neck injuries. But now, having been advised he risks his long-term health if he continues to play with a neck injury, he'll sit the rest of the season. Many of his teammates think he's played his last game.

I followed Samuels in 2000 during the run-up to the draft and through training camp -- in part because SI wanted to do a you-are-there story on a top prospect as he prepared to leave the cocoon of college and enter the pressure of playing right away in the NFL, and in part because of the rise in importance of left tackles. Michael Lewis tells the tale of the value of a left tackle superbly in The Blind Side, and I credit him for seeing what the game has become. Tackle has joined quarterback and pass-rusher as the three most important cornerstone positions for NFL teams.

But as I followed Samuels, I saw not only a good player but also a compelling and conscientious person. The day before the draft, at the Marriott Marquis Hotel on Broadway, he twice turned away the housekeeper who wanted to make up the room. "It's OK,'' he said. "I got it.'' He'd already made his bed, tidied the room and straightened up the bathroom, hanging the towels neatly on the rack.

In training camp, Bruce Smith and Dana Stubblefield took it upon themselves to school the rook and make his life miserable on and off the field. He took the taunts and the hazing through mini-camps, but determined he wouldn't take it once the real practices started. It took just one practice for Samuels to fight back, taking Stubblefield on a wide rush and, when Stubblefield popped him in the forehead, Samuels cold-cocked him with a roundhouse right to the neck, just below the helmet. He knew as the cornerstone of the offensive line, he had to be a fighter and defend not only his turf but his peers'. He became one of the go-to guys on the team.

When Sean Taylor died senselessly, Samuels vacillated between outrage, fury and leadership -- knowing he had to be there for the grieving, mostly younger guys in his locker room, which he was.

"I've been here six seasons,'' Chris Cooley told me, "and three of those six seasons we've had some significant turmoil. But I never saw guys quit or try less, and part of that is because of Chris. He set such a great example with his work and his play. Part of being a leader is just showing up every day and working hard, and that's all he's ever done.

"It's just so unfortunate that we lose him. He's been the solid rock of the Redskins for 10 years. Cherished by the community. So respected by everyone in the locker room. He's the kind of guy who would have made a great Hog. That's about the greatest thing I could say about him -- he would have fit in with those great Redskins of the past.''

If Samuels and Jones are forced to retire, the league will be diminished without them, and without players like them.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #96
MTK
\m/

damn, just makes you realize how important he was off the field as he was on it. I hope it won't be long before they put his name and number up in the ring of honor.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #97
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Great Stuff from King on Samuels. Don't discount how athletic Chris was as a left tackle. I found a YouTube clip of Santana Moss highlights, and the 2nd and 3rd plays (starting at 0:25) are Samuels at his best, first using pure athletic ability to get to the edge and seal it on the key block of an 80 yard WR screen TD, then pass protecting to perfection, without any help from the TE or RB. Samuels was probably the best draft pick of the Snyder era - I wish we could get players like him every year.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #98
mlmdub130
Playmaker

i just wanted to bump this thread and give everyone a heads up and fyi, tonight on nbc4 news at 11 lindsay czarniak is doing a sit down with chris and they are talking about his injury and his plans for the future. i'm sure it won't be any breaking news but it looks like a good watch she is visiting him at his home.

my personal opinion, i hope he never takes another snap in the nfl, not worth it, and as much s as i have givin him over the years he will go down as one of the greatest redskins ever, a solid lineman that could always be counted on

side note lindsay is freakin hot

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #99
mlmdub130
Playmaker

the report is starting now

ST21
Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #100
53Fan
Franchise Player

That's a great article by Peter King. Thanks for sharing it SS. I agree Matty. Once he retires I'd put him in the Ring of Honor right away. He deserves it.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #101
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
That's a great article by Peter King. Thanks for sharing it SS. I agree Matty. Once he retires I'd put him in the Ring of Honor right away. He deserves it.
totally, how long has he been an anchor holding up the left side. There was a stretch when we could only run to the left side because thats where the holes were thanks to Samuels.

A truly great player who belongs in Redskins lore.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #102
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
the report is starting now
He maintained he's optomistic about being able to return and play again. That he does not want to think of his career in past tense.

I can understand his love of the game, but he's flirting with an incessant condition which could cause him permanent paralysis. He's much too young to be paralized for the remainder of his life. He's faced with a decision he should think long and hard about.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #103
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
He maintained he's optomistic about being able to return and play again. That he does not want to think of his career in past tense.

I can understand his love of the game, but he's flirting with an incessant condition which could cause him permanent paralysis. He's much too young to be paralized for the remainder of his life. He's faced with a decision he should think long and hard about.
after watching that replay during the peice when he got the last stinger at the panthers game, i would say time to call in quits. if you watch it you just see his whole body go numb, all it takes is one more hit and it will stay numb

tried to find a vid of the injury but found this, might have to watch it twice to see it

ST21
Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #104
Monkeydad
Living Legend

^^

Haha...I DID have to watch exactly twice to see it...wasn't sure what I was looking for and somehow missed it compeltely the first time. Hilarious.

Watched it a third time for a second laugh!