Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Expected to Release Coles

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #91
dirtbag2112
Special Teams

Re: Redskins Expected to Release Coles

I am totally fine with releasing anyone who doesnt want to be a redskin.

Ramsey will silence the critics this year.

Let's get a solid #2 wideout via free agency and draft Williams or Edwards if theyre still around at #9. We'll be fine.
dirtbag2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-21-2005, 10:28 AM   #92
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Remember guys it's the schemes & coaches that win the big one, not 1 or 2 guys. The Eagles have proved that over & over failing to win the big one 3 years in a row.

I say to Coles, go & play elsewhere, you have been injuried the majority of your tenure & we are spending enormous money on your contract, plus he is undersized for what Gibbs considers a true WR.

I think we will get some good out of this. Lets see where Gibbs takes us in the next few months approaching the draft.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:33 AM   #93
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag2112
I am totally fine with releasing anyone who doesnt want to be a redskin.

Ramsey will silence the critics this year.

Let's get a solid #2 wideout via free agency and draft Williams or Edwards if theyre still around at #9. We'll be fine.
I do like the positive outlook. It's been a long long time since we've seen a stable Redskin coaching staff promote a WR from within, and I'd like to think that Taylor Jacobs can produce a little something if given the shot. This will be his 3rd year, and the 3rd year is often the charm for many WRs.

And remember, WRs are important to what Gibbs is trying to do with the offense, but getting Portis to a 4.0 or higher rushing average will be one of the things that makes the deep passing game click. But, as we all know, the most important part of getting that passing game in gear will be Ramsey's accuracy on the deep balls.

I'd like to see us get Derrick Mason and let Taylor Jacobs play the #2 role. We're always talking about how the Patriots are the model how they build their program through the draft and develop their players in-house. I do think we need a WR through free agency, since we're losing our top 2 starters, but sometimes you just gotta give the youngn's a shot and see what they can do!
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:05 AM   #94
firstdown
Living Legend

If he wants to go let him. The main concern I have is that we recoup the total 5yrs of his signing bonus. If we do not I will come to conclusion that Dan and our front office are worthless. This is Coles decision and it should not cost us a penny.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #95
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
If he wants to go let him. The main concern I have is that we recoup the total 5yrs of his signing bonus. If we do not I will come to conclusion that Dan and our front office are worthless. This is Coles decision and it should not cost us a penny.
I agree. Canuck, what will this do to our immediate cap situation?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #96
maxknee
Camp Scrub

lets just hope we can get something good for gardner as well and a majority of our money back too. its aggrivating because, coles had the ability of a great wr but then kept getting injured. its not his fault but if any team had the same amount of coaches in the past 10+ years as the skins any team would look as paltry as the skins.
maxknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #97
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
I do like the positive outlook. It's been a long long time since we've seen a stable Redskin coaching staff promote a WR from within, and I'd like to think that Taylor Jacobs can produce a little something if given the shot. This will be his 3rd year, and the 3rd year is often the charm for many WRs.

And remember, WRs are important to what Gibbs is trying to do with the offense, but getting Portis to a 4.0 or higher rushing average will be one of the things that makes the deep passing game click. But, as we all know, the most important part of getting that passing game in gear will be Ramsey's accuracy on the deep balls.

I'd like to see us get Derrick Mason and let Taylor Jacobs play the #2 role. We're always talking about how the Patriots are the model how they build their program through the draft and develop their players in-house. I do think we need a WR through free agency, since we're losing our top 2 starters, but sometimes you just gotta give the youngn's a shot and see what they can do!

as usual, another good post. I agree that it will be a good idea to look at mason, hes a great receiver thatw ill definitly be available. The Titans have some depth at that position. This definitly frees up a ton of money for 2006.

I agree its good to be optimistic, this does give us a lot more money... Its not like having Coles made us win. Hes a great recevier but with 90 catches he only brought one in for a score. from portis no less.

Heres where gibbs has to prove that he can make a system win without real big names.

You know what really pisses me off, im a huge madden fan and coles had 99 speed. The really the most intangable thing that you can get to change about a player in the game. none of the free agents, or draft picks are going to have that kind of speed, so sad.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #98
DCopper04
Camp Scrub

Releasing Coles is not going to give us extra room under the cap. Reports are that he is going to repay half of the signing bonus, which will decrease our cap room for this coming year, albeit by a minimal amount. Regardless of the cap ramifications of this move, this will not change what our team is looking for in free agency and the draft. Gibbs and Co. have known for a while that Coles would be gone in the near future (L.C. reportedly requested a midseason trade last year, which was denied.) The team has known this would happen all along, just the fans didn't know. Gibbs has been preparing all along for next season without Coles.
DCopper04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #99
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
You know what really pisses me off, im a huge madden fan and coles had 99 speed. The really the most intangable thing that you can get to change about a player in the game. none of the free agents, or draft picks are going to have that kind of speed, so sad.
LOL it's funny, I love Coles in Madden too and he's always my go to guy, but now that he wants out I just have a bad taste in my mouth with him. I'm gonna deal him away my next offseason.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #100
skin4Life28
Special Teams

Man this is good stuff. All I could do was laugh when I read this. So we definelt know we are drafting a WR. We are trying to trade Gardner also, so we are looking at our draft pick and thrash or Jacobs as a starter. *Not including a free agent pick-up.* Man this team gets better and better.
skin4Life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #101
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCopper04
Releasing Coles is not going to give us extra room under the cap. Reports are that he is going to repay half of the signing bonus, which will decrease our cap room for this coming year, albeit by a minimal amount. Regardless of the cap ramifications of this move, this will not change what our team is looking for in free agency and the draft. Gibbs and Co. have known for a while that Coles would be gone in the near future (L.C. reportedly requested a midseason trade last year, which was denied.) The team has known this would happen all along, just the fans didn't know. Gibbs has been preparing all along for next season without Coles.

youre right, the fans didnt know he wanted a trade...which bring up an interesting question...how did you know. YOU MUST NOT BE A FAN!!!! GET UM BOYS!! lol, you have any other inside info that you can give to us
Old 02-21-2005, 11:52 AM   #102
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

oh, and welcome to the site, I dont think I have seen or welcomened you yet.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:58 AM   #103
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
youre right, the fans didnt know he wanted a trade...which bring up an interesting question...how did you know. YOU MUST NOT BE A FAN!!!! GET UM BOYS!! lol, you have any other inside info that you can give to us
I do remember hearing some grumblings during the season that Coles was unhappy, but I think like anybody I just shrugged it off thinking he was just frustrated like everyone else. Frustrated with the offensive struggles, frustrated with losing, etc.

Who knew how serious this really was?! I guess we just found out!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #104
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
I agree. Canuck, what will this do to our immediate cap situation?
I posted this previously, here is your answer:

So, the question is what happens next? I'm a financial analyst, so I'll hit you with the salary cap ramifications: Coles signed a 7-year deal with a $13 million bonus, meaning that bonus counts $1.857 million against the cap each year of the deal. He's played out 2 years of the deal, so the unallocated portion of his bonus would amount to 5 year's worth, or $9.286 Million. If he gives back all of that $9.286 Million, his bonus will clear off of the books, and his cap number in 2005 will decrease by $1.857 million. Plus we won't be paying him his base salary of $1.5 million, so that would go to savings, meaning we would save a total of $3.357 million in 2005.

We need to find out how much of his bonus he'll be giving back. The formula to find the effect on our salary cap if we cut him is this:

(9.286 - The Amount He Gives Back) - 3.357

If the number comes up negative, that means our cap goes down. If it comes up positive, it means his current 3.357 cap hit will get bigger.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #105
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I am pretty sure that signing bonuses can only be spread out over six year. Your math is for 7. Its 2.16 million per year if it is spread out over six. Im not positive, but im pretty sure.

Thats acutally a good thing becuase it means more of it has already been accounted for.

As far as a post june 1st cut, that pushes most of it onto the 2006 books. Which is going to be a tough year for us salary cap wise. But if he gives back half of his bonus money, as rumored, thats 6.5 million back. That means that 3.25 million will be on the books for 2006, as opposed to 4.3 million if we cut him prior to june first.