MLB 2012 (random postings/events)

Other Sports

Old 06-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #91
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: MLB 2012 (random postings/events)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Seemed like a whole lot of nothing; if anything the fan was in the wrong.
Agreed. A whole lotta nothing...but he should walk away because fans can be very stupid and often look to start trouble

Advertisements
Old 06-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #92
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Seemed like a whole lot of nothing; if anything the fan was in the wrong.
The author points this out.

Quote:
I will grant him that the contact itself was gentle and obviously caused no injury to the fan involved. I've even heard it described as more of a soft slap. So yes, it certainly could have been a much uglier situation all things considered, but the problem for Morgan is that he made completely unnecessary contact with a paying customer that was well within his rights as a fan. And he did so with pretty clear intent.

Had the fan reached over the wall to disrupt the play, you might be able to find some justification in Morgan's actions. Had the fan clearly grabbed Morgan, yes, gain separation by any means necessary. But Morgan knew where he was. He even understands what the fan was doing.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #93
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Morgan was trying to make a play on the ball. He wasn't headed for the stands purposely looking to get into it with this guy
Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #94
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Morgan was trying to make a play on the ball. He wasn't headed for the stands purposely looking to get into it with this guy
I don't think the author insinuated that. (nor I)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #95
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Yeah that's weak. You're trying to crucify a guy for trying to get an out for his team? If I was that fan I'dve let Morgan catch the ball, then hope he's nice enough to toss it to me (which most players do in those kinds of situations). You're acting like he was in the wrong for trying to do his job.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #96
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I don't think the author insinuated that. (nor I)
"but the problem for Morgan is that he made completely unnecessary contact with a paying customer that was well within his rights as a fan. And he did so with pretty clear intent."

To me that implies a belief that Morgan intended to make contact with the fan, not just incidental contact while trying to make a play on a ball
Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #97
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Yeah that's weak. You're trying to crucify a guy for trying to get an out for his team? If I was that fan I'dve let Morgan catch the ball, then hope he's nice enough to toss it to me (which most players do in those kinds of situations). You're acting like he was in the wrong for trying to do his job.
Well, considering this was a road game, I doubt that you would have given a visiting team a opportunity to make a out on your team. That said, I agree with the author of the article and he's 100% right.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #98
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
"but the problem for Morgan is that he made completely unnecessary contact with a paying customer that was well within his rights as a fan. And he did so with pretty clear intent."

To me that implies a belief that Morgan intended to make contact with the fan, not just incidental contact while trying to make a play on a ball
I'm quite positive he's reflecting on that slight shove, not the actual contact from trying to catch the ball. The first contact I'm quite positive was incidental, the second not so much. That is the point he's trying to make. No matter how small it seemed, (and he notes it was indeed small) it shouldn't have been made period.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #99
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Much ado about nothing in my opinion. I disagree with the author and he's 100% wrong
Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #100
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Well, considering this was a road game, I doubt that you would have given a visiting team a opportunity to make a out on your team. That said, I agree with the author of the article and he's 100% right.
No, I doubt I would have tried to interfere with a player trying to do his job period. Opposing team or not. I'm there to spectate. Fans should not get in the way of players trying to do their job.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #101
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
No, I doubt I would have tried to interfere with a player trying to do his job period. Opposing team or not. I'm there to spectate. Fans should not get in the way of players trying to do their job.
Most the time the fans aren't trying to "interfere" with the player. They are just trying to catch the ball, just like the player is. Leaning over the wall grabbing at balls is probably something I wouldn't do though. I would however give the home team a chance to make a out if he could. That's part of the game though. That out could be crucial.

Ask Steve Bartman.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #102
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Yee haw...watching the Yankees/White Sox game last night with my wife. She's a Yanks fan, I'm a ChiSox fan.

Bottom of 8th, Tex hit a HR to give the Yankees a 3-1 head going into the 9th.

9th Inning, 3-run, GW homer from Viciedo for a White Sox win. They REALLY miss Mariano.

That was fun.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #103
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I know about the Bartman incident. If it were me sitting that close to the wall though, I would try to be aware of foul balls headed my way so if a player gets close enough to catch one, he would have the space needed to do his job. I get that the fan was preoccupied trying to catch a foul ball, but I don't fault Morgan for getting annoyed that the fan got in his way.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #104
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

These guys hauled ass....lol

Texas Thunder: Lightning strike sends Rangers and Twins scurrying for safety | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

Can't blame them.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #105
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

the baseball allstar game is a the best. Home Run derby effing rocks...now if we could only get rid of Berman....

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote