Positives - What Positives You Ask?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #91
Coff
Impact Rookie

Re: Positives - What Positives You Ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
My issue with the offense is this. RG3 is clearly more comfortable running what we are doing right now vs a more traditional type of scheme. Everyone wanted the Shanahans to adjust the system to suit RG3 rather than force him into something, right? So here we are.

Do you risk a drop in production/points to keep him from getting hit? Or do you turn him loose and let him do what he does best?

I don't like seeing him get hit either, but I'm enjoying what he's doing production wise.
One has to wonder if the Shanahans are adjusting just to suit RG3 or if they're just adjusting, period. Considering how bad the line is - an issue compounded against Cincy with the injury to Trent - Kyle didn't really have the option (no pun intended) to run a traditional scheme.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #92
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
One has to wonder if the Shanahans are adjusting just to suit RG3 or if they're just adjusting, period. Considering how bad the line is - an issue compounded against Cincy with the injury to Trent - Kyle didn't really have the option (no pun intended) to run a traditional scheme.
Look at it this way, would we be running the option or pistol with Grossman or Cousins?

Cleary this is a RG3 offense.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #93
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Look at it this way, would we be running the option or pistol with Grossman or Cousins?

Cleary this is a RG3 offense.

Yeah, there is going to be a leaning curve for both sides (coaches and QB) until they figure out what works on an NFL level.

I was thinking during the Bengals game during those option-only drives how I can see that the option isn't run at the pro level because of the speed of the defenses compared to college. Griffin had to make MUCH quicker decisions on the pitch and he was getting punished. 99/100 college QBs do not have the speed or the quick-decision making to be able to run the option at the pro level, but I think RGIII might be that 1/100. It was working. I loved how we'd bring Banks into the backfield as a ball carrier and as a decoy. We'd also split our FB out as a WR. We saw so many new formations and because of Griffin's abilities. the defense has to respect everything.

I've noticed in the 3 different games, we've seen three different offenses. Against the Saints, it was the screen game. Against the Rams we took a lot more shots down the field. Against the Bengals, we ran a lot of options. Morris and the running game were strong in all three games.

It's almost like the Shanshans are trying everything out to test the defenses, like they're building our offense week-by-week. So far, everything is working but we need to mix things up and keep defenses guessing. I also do not believe we'll run the option as much as we saw in Week 3 despite it's surprising success. We'll use it when we need to come back and absolutely need a TD. It seemed to be unstoppable except for that errant pitch. We may be the first modern team to run a true option in the NFL with success...but we can't overuse it or Griffin will get killed.

I like what I'm seeing on offense. All of the completely-different looks that has resulted in us being the highest-scoring team in the league. It just seems to be that we're seeing an evaluation period early in this season to see what works for RGIII. The answer...everything works! We're not used to seeing this many TDs...red zone trips that result in TDs so often and best of all, almost no turnovers. Our D is getting plenty of TOs too, so if they can just stop giving up the big plays, we're going to win games.

Despite our record, it's an exciting time to be a Redskins fan and our future is bright. In the past week, I've had Ravens, Giants, Seahawks, Raiders fans all come to me saying how much they love watching RGIII and how exciting it must be to be a Redskins fan right now...they're right.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #94
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
My issue with the offense is this. RG3 is clearly more comfortable running what we are doing right now vs a more traditional type of scheme. Everyone wanted the Shanahans to adjust the system to suit RG3 rather than force him into something, right? So here we are.

Do you risk a drop in production/points to keep him from getting hit? Or do you turn him loose and let him do what he does best?

I don't like seeing him get hit either, but I'm enjoying what he's doing production wise.
I totally agree with you about the scheme. I think Kyle is doing an excellent job of both maximizing Gryphon's strengths and bringing him along in terms of experience.

I just hope that Gryphon tries a little harder to protect himself in the scheme we have.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #95
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I totally agree with you about the scheme. I think Kyle is doing an excellent job of both maximizing Gryphon's strengths and bringing him along in terms of experience.

I just hope that Gryphon tries a little harder to protect himself in the scheme we have.
Honestly, he can't.

Aside from the intention al headshots and hits out of bounds, he's doing what he can. Pretty much every run, he heads to the sidelines and beats everyone to the white stripe. (they're still hitting him, extra 15 yards if they call it right)

On the option plays, the pro defenders penetrate faster than the college defenders, so he's going to get hit a lot and is going to have to make quicker decisions. The Bengals were hitting him whether he kept the ball or not and if we're running the option, really, they're entitled to do that as long as it's not blatantly late. It's a risk we're taking and that's not going to be avoided on those kinds of plays.

I think he's being smart on his runs. He's not trying to run over anyone and he seems to always be ending his runs out of bounds or in the endzone.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #96
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
I like what they did by putting BB in the backfield. Teams were starting to say screw it, we'll let Morris beat us. But with Banks back there they have to respect his speed and can't just key in on RG3.
I thouroughly enjoyed seeing banks in the backfield too. My god the speed of him and rg3. I was calling banks a waste of a roster spot until that.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #97
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Kat Dennings' tits
Not to go too far astray, but according to this amazing website, ...
Kat Dennings - Boobpedia - Encyclopedia of big boobs !!NSFW!!
she a 32H. H???

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 09-25-2012 at 01:25 PM.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #98
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Boobopedia?
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #99
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You called it two years ago

"Id like to see him in the backfield or at least in the slot"

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...tml#post754609
trying to tell you SS, Kyle is slow. :cheeky-sm

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #100
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Definitely not her face.
focusing on the positives. face can be in the smackdown thread, i actually could work with it, she's kinda cute (but would make her fix the strahan teef)

He Gets Us
Old 09-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #101
RGIII

Quote:
I think you're on to something. I think there has been too much "tailoring" this offense to RGIII's talents as a scrambler as supposed to RGIII's potential as a dropback QB.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #102
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Not to go too far astray, but according to this amazing website, ...
Kat Dennings - Boobpedia - Encyclopedia of big boobs !!NSFW!!
she a 32H. H???
have to check that out at home, looks like a refreshingly active site

He Gets Us
Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #103
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Great, another thread to get shut down.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #104
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Yeah, there is going to be a leaning curve for both sides (coaches and QB) until they figure out what works on an NFL level.

I was thinking during the Bengals game during those option-only drives how I can see that the option isn't run at the pro level because of the speed of the defenses compared to college. Griffin had to make MUCH quicker decisions on the pitch and he was getting punished. 99/100 college QBs do not have the speed or the quick-decision making to be able to run the option at the pro level, but I think RGIII might be that 1/100. It was working. I loved how we'd bring Banks into the backfield as a ball carrier and as a decoy. We'd also split our FB out as a WR. We saw so many new formations and because of Griffin's abilities. the defense has to respect everything.

I've noticed in the 3 different games, we've seen three different offenses. Against the Saints, it was the screen game. Against the Rams we took a lot more shots down the field. Against the Bengals, we ran a lot of options. Morris and the running game were strong in all three games.

It's almost like the Shanshans are trying everything out to test the defenses, like they're building our offense week-by-week. So far, everything is working but we need to mix things up and keep defenses guessing. I also do not believe we'll run the option as much as we saw in Week 3 despite it's surprising success. We'll use it when we need to come back and absolutely need a TD. It seemed to be unstoppable except for that errant pitch. We may be the first modern team to run a true option in the NFL with success...but we can't overuse it or Griffin will get killed.

I like what I'm seeing on offense. All of the completely-different looks that has resulted in us being the highest-scoring team in the league. It just seems to be that we're seeing an evaluation period early in this season to see what works for RGIII. The answer...everything works! We're not used to seeing this many TDs...red zone trips that result in TDs so often and best of all, almost no turnovers. Our D is getting plenty of TOs too, so if they can just stop giving up the big plays, we're going to win games.

Despite our record, it's an exciting time to be a Redskins fan and our future is bright. In the past week, I've had Ravens, Giants, Seahawks, Raiders fans all come to me saying how much they love watching RGIII and how exciting it must be to be a Redskins fan right now...they're right.
I wouldn't call an average of 30 points a game, and 2nd in the league in rushing "not working". That's just me.

There are coaches, and then there are fans. It's called gameplanning, and just because you see something one week, doesn't mean we will use it the next.

HTTR
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #105
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I just found five bucks.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote