Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 02-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

mike or anyone - have you found any pliny or RR on line? or know a local home brewer who sells a clone?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

OTM (or anyone in MoCo for that matter): Downtown Crown got a few cases of Manor Hill Citra Splendor, a helluva DIPA. Worth a try if you haven't had it.

Had a can of Hopslam last night. Completely different flavor from what I had on draft. Much sweeter. It wasn't offputting, but certainly will make me think twice before chasing it in cans next year.

Here's a list of what I've had lately, well since my last post: BP Pineapple Sculpin (muted Sculpin) and Watermelon Dorado (strange beer), Alpine Pure Hoppiness, Sam Adams Rebel IPA (not bad for a "mass-produced craft brew"), Oskar Blues IPA (on draft), Diamondback Omar's OPA (I do not recommend), Red Shedman Lunatic Fringe (Belgian IPA, better than FD's), Boulder Shake Chocolate Porter, Union Snow Pants, 4 Hands Alter Ego Black IPA, FD Rum Aged Gonzo Imperial Porter (2016), Cold Press Coffee Porter and Tropical Stout, Troegs Nugget Nectar (I felt this year's on draft was quite tasty), Tree House Julius, Ska Brewing Autumnal Molé Stout, Burley Oak Sour Trip, Cigar City Jai Alai, 3 Stars Citra and Lemon Peel Saison (will be my go-to summer beer), DFH Burton Baton, Clown Shoes Galactica (awesome DIPA), rar Northeast Nectar, New Belgium Citradelic (nice starter IPA for those wanting to make the leap), Sixpoint Resin

Now before you all go...damn he's an alcoholic...a good amount of these are shared, meaning I had a taste off a 12 oz or a nice pour off a 16/22 ounce. I get together with friends every other week and we share stuff we've collected. I'll have 1-2 beers a night depending on how I am, how hard the day was, etc. Last night, a buddy of mine dropped of a mixed 6er of New Holland Mad Hatter (2), White Hatter (2), Dragon's Milk and FW's new Luponic Distortion 001. But I'll save a good bit of it to share with those who haven't had them...except the Luponic. That sucker is mine.

I'm heading to the beach this weekend solo...told the wife that I've been balls to the wall for several weeks and needed to unwind (she gets her fair share of time away by herself). So I'm hitting a few places in Lower Slower DE on Saturday then Sunday my buddy got me and him into the OC Food/Bev Trade Show, where just about all the breweries, wineries and spirit makers will be. I've been forewarned that I should plan on taking my time getting home...which is fine since rar is on my way home.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Ballast Point Watermelon Dorado Double IPA and Oskar Blues Deviant Dale Imperial IPA

We are talking hops folks. The watermelon Dorado is dangerous, first it pours and has the body of a white ale and its 10%....but it's in freakin tasty. Awesome beer.

I couldn't avoid Deviant Dales any longer, it cornered me in the beer store once I found out the beer I went for, Smartmouth's Notch 9 was out. Fairly decent, heavy beer worth a try.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Couldn't get into the Watermelon Dorado. Deviant Dale's is like the on OB beer I haven't had.

Had a helluva weekend 2 weekends ago. Hit up a few key spots in DE on Saturday (Fins Raw Bar, Mispillion River, Pickled Pig Pub, Crooked Hammock), then was able to sample 30+ beers at the OC Trade Expo. Hit Burley Oak and rar on my way home. Nothing really sticks out as epic from that weekend. I was able to talk to a few of the reps from local and national breweries. I grilled the FW rep about the hop lineup for Batch 001 of Luponic, but no dice.

My buddy's Round 2 of his quest to clone Julius/Sip of Sunshine should hit the keg this weekend. So I'll be helping empty the keg of Round 1.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 03-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Couldn't get into the Watermelon Dorado. Deviant Dale's is like the on OB beer I haven't had.

Had a helluva weekend 2 weekends ago. Hit up a few key spots in DE on Saturday (Fins Raw Bar, Mispillion River, Pickled Pig Pub, Crooked Hammock), then was able to sample 30+ beers at the OC Trade Expo. Hit Burley Oak and rar on my way home. Nothing really sticks out as epic from that weekend. I was able to talk to a few of the reps from local and national breweries. I grilled the FW rep about the hop lineup for Batch 001 of Luponic, but no dice.

My buddy's Round 2 of his quest to clone Julius/Sip of Sunshine should hit the keg this weekend. So I'll be helping empty the keg of Round 1.
To be honest, Deviant Dale was a bit of a let down. Their line up is so strong, was a little surprised.

You guys mention RaR a lot...the beers awesome? Is their brewery worth the trip up to MD?

He Gets Us
Old 03-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #6
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
You guys mention RaR a lot...the beers awesome? Is their brewery worth the trip up to MD?
Right now, it's my favorite brewery in MD. Their IPA Nanticoke Nectar is up there with just about anything you can get in the state in my opinion. I live about 2 hours away, so it's not something i can just up and go do. But any chance I get, I'll get over there.

If you're going to make your way up from Richmond, there are plenty of other breweries and brewpubs to visit between here and there to make your trip worth while. The only downside is there really isn't much around rar. Salisbury is 30 minutes away and has Evolution and 3rd Wave (in Delmar). OC/Berlin has several places to check out. But between Cambridge and the Bay Bridge, there isn't much. You'd be planning a Baltimore and/or DC trip and making a side journey down to rar.

Speaking of brewery journeys, a friend of mine is planning a MA/CT trip for next month. He's earmarked Two Roads, New England, Tree House (his crown jewel and the reason for the trip), Jack's Abby, Lord Hobo, Trillium, and Cambridge as the places we're hitting. Going to camp 2 nights and stay in Boston one night. I'm looking forward to it as it's 2 states I've never been to and hitting some quality breweries in the process.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
over the mountain
Playmaker

Im not a big Rar fan. ive only had naticoke and chopdank but (if i remember correctly) it had an overly resiny sticky sweet thick unbalanced finish to it (not in a piney kind of way). i need to try it again though.

i amazed at how i dont quite like a sixer the first go around, then months later try it again and really like it.
-----------------------------------------

MTK - nice heady topper score. havent gotten my mitts on a can yet.

------------------------------------
i drank an imperial from manor hill (citra splendor) and i drank a 16 oz can and for some reason after i finished my glass i poured the empty can into my glass and at least 1-2 oz of thick whiteish glueey yeast finish poured out. ive never seen that much before. is this yeast active? is this yeast still breaking things down? the can dob was from mid feb.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Reports: Deschutes brewery going to Roanoke

McAuliffe to make 'major' announcement in Roanoke Tuesday, possibly about Deschutes Brewery - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Latest-news-ap

Looks like we got the Deschutes's East Coast Brewery in Va. Ive heard great things...think I tried one of these but it was a long time ago. Looks like we will be getting them on a regular rotation on the east coast...hoorah beer!

He Gets Us
Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Awesome, only 45 minutes down the road! This whole area is getting more breweries than I could have ever imagined 5-7 years ago.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

That's awesome. Fresh Squeezed and Pinedrops IPA are awesome. Can't wait to try more of their wares.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
over the mountain
Playmaker

Maine Dinner is being released at 7 pm today and I plan on following twitter and then clinking on the shops tweeting it and hope they deliver. its a long shot.

The online shipping france44 has surly's todd the axeman right now ..
---------------

made a run to rodmans this morning, nothing too spectacular unfortunately ... but did get a super fresh sixer of nanticoke nectar w a dob of 3-23-16.

also, ballast point now puts the dob on the bottom of their bottles and dont do that hard to find white ink julian date stamp on the label that was always blurred anyway .. took me about 2 months and looking at a zillion bottles to figure it out.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Going to a Grimm and Maine tapping this weekend. On the menu: Grimm Afterimage, Grimm Vacay, Maine A Tiny Beautiful Something, Maine Another One IPA.

Giddyup!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:25 AM   #13
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Really really enjoying the fat tire coming to the East coast. Good shit.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
over the mountain
Playmaker

Got my hands on some maine beer I and III. The 'I" was awesome, one of my favorite beers excluding dipas/imperials.

highly recommend if you can find it. the III was like a better version of founders breakfast stout.
--------------------------------

what did you all think of enjoy by 4.20.16? I found this one to be really boozy tasting. normally stone does a great job of hiding the 9.8 abv.

is "enjoy by" an always evolving beer? every batch is slightly different?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #15
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Sometimes I prefer tasting the "A" in higher "ABV" beers. There's something the burn does to the palate that adds to the experience for me.