Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Not at 8AM on a Sunday morning.
400,000+ viewers for Sundays is not that impressive
Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #79
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Re: Darrell Green does not support Redskin name change

The comments on yahoo just made my sour Monday a little sweeter, Bob better be careful he may get scalped .

Y! SPORTS

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #80
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

sadly enough the name will be changed IMO, eventually Dan will just get worn out by the negative pub
Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #81
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
sadly enough the name will be changed IMO, eventually Dan will just get worn out by the negative pub
If they want to ruin the league, then change the name. Everyone knows Redskins vs Cowboys is the best rivalry in the NFL, that will go away forever and a great way to ruin the league and a team.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #82
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I Agree SF but the media wont stop until the name is changed, and when they do change the name they will lose a bunch of fans across the country. The only name I would take would be Braves. The outcry is getting ridiculous though and eventually Dan will cave in. It's inevitable.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #83
tdSKINS1
Impact Rookie

I've kept mute about the Redskin name change but after hearing Costas last night I've about had it with the media and this issue. I understand the name has been controversial for the past however many years but the media Bob Costas included have just launched this into utter ridiculousness. Costas who has done Sunday Night Football coverage for however long I don't think has ever mentioned his defiance against the Redskins' name. To use Sunday Night Football as a soap box and almost lecture viewers who are tuned in to watch a huge rivalry and tradition is ubsurd. Still don't know what needs to be said about the name its not racist it never was and people are making something out of absolutely nothing IMO. This country has way more problems then a NFL football name.
#21 Never Forget
HOKIES!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #84
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Does anyone know if the NFL / Goodell / the owners or anyone else can actually force Snyder to change the name? Lets say the owners decide our team's name is bad for the NFL's brand. Can the owners vote to force a name change?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #85
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Does anyone know if the NFL / Goodell / the owners or anyone else can actually force Snyder to change the name? Lets say the owners decide our team's name is bad for the NFL's brand. Can the owners vote to force a name change?
They can't. The only way the name would change is if the government stepped in or enough advertisers backed out, thereby forcing a change. Even Snyder alone couldn't just say he's going to change the name and change it. The way the league and licensing rights are structured he'd have to get buy in from the rest of the owners because a name change could cost millions that will be felt across the league.

This isn't as simple as a HS saying they're going to drop the name Redskins, we're talking about a billion dollar organization in a multi-billion dollar league.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #86
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I Agree SF but the media wont stop until the name is changed, and when they do change the name they will lose a bunch of fans across the country. The only name I would take would be Braves. The outcry is getting ridiculous though and eventually Dan will cave in. It's inevitable.
I agree Braves would be the only name since it was the original. In my opinion, the league is losing fans and will lose many more if the name is changed.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #87
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

True
Old 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #88
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
They can't. The only way the name would change is if the government stepped in or enough advertisers backed out, thereby forcing a change. Even Snyder alone couldn't just say he's going to change the name and change it. The way the league and licensing rights are structured he'd have to get buy in from the rest of the owners because a name change could cost millions that will be felt across the league.

This isn't as simple as a HS saying they're going to drop the name Redskins, we're talking about a billion dollar organization in a multi-billion dollar league.
Since that's the case, I don't think there is anything to worry about as neither are going to happen in the near future. This whole thing is just the first really well organized, big push in creating national awareness of the issue. The seeds have been firmly planted but at the end of the day that's all that has happened.

Even if Snyder wanted to change the name I feel like he's financially "stuck" with the Redskins. Not only would the value of the brand would take a huge hit but the merchandising and rebranding costs would be massive. He would alienate his customer base and lose fans (hes not the most beloved owner to begin with). And the structural and administrative costs would be a nightmare.

Im thinking a name change could only coincide with a financial change down the road. Id imagine funds for a new stadium could be contingent upon a new name. Or if Dan ever wanted to (or was forced to) sell ownership in the team, that could trigger naming negations.

Either way, no way would Dan ever absorb the costs of a name change. Id suspect he would even need to be significantly incentivized to change the name. So until the NFL or a government wants to pay for it, we have nothing to worry about it.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #89
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Since that's the case, I don't think there is anything to worry about as neither are going to happen in the near future. This whole thing is just the first really well organized, big push in creating national awareness of the issue. The seeds have been firmly planted but at the end of the day that's all that has happened.

Even if Snyder wanted to change the name I feel like he's financially "stuck" with the Redskins. Not only would the value of the brand would take a huge hit but the merchandising and rebranding costs would be massive. He would alienate his customer base and lose fans (hes not the most beloved owner to begin with). And the structural and administrative costs would be a nightmare.

Im thinking a name change could only coincide with a financial change down the road. Id imagine funds for a new stadium could be contingent upon a new name. Or if Dan ever wanted to (or was forced to) sell ownership in the team, that could trigger naming negations.

Either way, no way would Dan ever absorb the costs of a name change. Id suspect he would even need to be significantly incentivized to change the name. So until the NFL or a government wants to pay for it, we have nothing to worry about it.
First on a serious note: When the Washington Bullet's changed their name to the Washington Wizards, what was the cost to the individual team and or the the league? While the team does not have near the following as their NFL sister, did they lose a significant number of fans?

On the other side: I have the new team name - Washington "Shutdowns". The team motto could be "No one does anything in our house." (sorry, my anti shutdown joke is now complete).
Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #90
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
First on a serious note: When the Washington Bullet's changed their name to the Washington Wizards, what was the cost to the individual team and or the the league? While the team does not have near the following as their NFL sister, did they lose a significant number of fans?

On the other side: I have the new team name - Washington "Shutdowns". The team motto could be "No one does anything in our house." (sorry, my anti shutdown joke is now complete).

1) I dont think the Bullets had any fans to lose.

I was a little young when the Bullets changed their name, but id speculate that Pollin changed the name partly because it made good financial sense (at the time). I understand Pollin sites his friend or family member getting shot as the reason, but if it didnt make sense financially, i cant imagine he would have done it. The Bullets sucked and attendance and revenues were awful, changing the name was a way to generate some excitement in DC basketball.

2) Your joke sucks. Apology not accepted.