Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #76
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Re: Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

my one and only real thought is that cutler cut up our secondary like it was butter, it was my biggest concern coming in to this season and looks like it will remain that way. i really hope morris can get them playing together better.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #77
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
-RG3 actually didn't play a bad game in my opinion. Two of the sacks he had no control over and the fumble play was hardly his fault with a blind man coming right at him. He had one bad throw (Niles Paul has to catch that checkdown pass), but otherwise had a composed game and was just getting more and more involved as it went on. Encouraging stuff from a rookie QB in his second game.

-Cedric Griffin was a joke from day one. I remember criticizing this signing and getting a lot of heat for it, because it was a "low risk signing". Look when you sign a guy who was one of the worst CBs in the league last year to go along with the already incompetent DHall.. You'll have a problem. Hopefully they do what's right and cut him NOW instead of waiting.

-Our oline was horrible. Fortunately the pressure was coming from the right side most of the first half and we already know that our second team is starting at LG, RG and RT. Still hated Monty in this game. He was essentially getting pushed back on every play.

-Kirk Cousins looks eerily similar to John Beck. Fortunately he isn't completely incompetent as a quarterback and looks to be paving his way for a trade in the coming years.

-The runningbacks can't be judged from this game. Alfred Morris was impressing just to get a yard on certain plays. The run blocking seemed to get worse and worse in the first half.

-Ryan Kerrigan was terrific all night and all signs lead to him having a monster year. (I think he's better than Orakpo going forward and have been saying this since the day we drafted him).
A. I agree on everything u said about both griffins.. Cedric is a scrub.. our secondary plain out sucks! Hall is our only decent db.. Wilson sucks to imo.

Kirk cousins is a very good QB, I liked the pick when we drafted him just because he is trade bait. Anyone who thinks he's in our plans to start is crazy unless Griffin goes down.

I love kerrigan dude is a baller, and yes I will agree I'm starting to think he's better than rak.

Oline is bad other than Trent Williams whom again showed y he's so good, he pushed Peppers around at times last night.

Running backs are all avg guys imo, none will scare anyone this year. Maybe helu maybe

Overall this team will be better much better but not a playoff team just yet
Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #78
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
...I think if there was anything "rookie like" was him potentially underestimating how fast NFL players are. The guys in the booth noticed it and I agree. Still, so refreshing to see someone that young keep his eyes down-field trying to make a play.
There was a play where Griff stumbles then gets tackled by Isreal Idoneje (sp?) and Joey T said something about Griff not being able to run away from the guys in the NFL.
I completely disagree, if Griff doesn't stumble/slip he was off to the races no one was gonna beat him to the edge.
Griff is gonna be able to out run most of the defensive players he faces.
He's just gotta be more aware of the bodies around him and protect the football.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #79
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am pretty sure the 91 team went 0-4 in the preseason. Good coaches use the games to learn what their players can, and cannot, do, and plan their regular season accordingly.

Looking forward to next week now!
And Spurrier went 4-0 so go figure. All of it is meaningless until the Skins suit up for the regular season.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #80
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
And Spurrier went 4-0 so go figure. All of it is meaningless until the Skins suit up for the regular season.
If I recall correctly, Manning threw two redzone picks last night... Yep, it's just the pre-season.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #81
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I am happy RG3 had a game like this. He needed to see that defenses are alot faster in the NFL and running will not always work. He adjusted as the game moved forward. He has a quick release and he needs to learn to adjust in the pocket then get the ball out of there.

Niles Paul has shown me nothing to warrant him replacing Cooley or Paulsen. I hope he is really the TE we are trying to trade, behind the scences.

Alfred Morris Looks great. he gashed the Bears 1st team defense in the start until the line started to falter.

Hopefully Cousins continues to look good and earns the Number 2 spot. I don't want Grossman to see the field this year during the regular season.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #82
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
A. I agree on everything u said about both griffins.. Cedric is a scrub.. our secondary plain out sucks! Hall is our only decent db.. Wilson sucks to imo.

Kirk cousins is a very good QB, I liked the pick when we drafted him just because he is trade bait. Anyone who thinks he's in our plans to start is crazy unless Griffin goes down.

I love kerrigan dude is a baller, and yes I will agree I'm starting to think he's better than rak.

Oline is bad other than Trent Williams whom again showed y he's so good, he pushed Peppers around at times last night.

Running backs are all avg guys imo, none will scare anyone this year. Maybe helu maybe

I think the situation will play itself out. It's just too early to tell if either is going to be elite, good, average or busts. I will say this, in pro sports, and especially in the NFL, we see guys that were drafted in lower positions, and end up outplaying the more highly drafted guy. It happens all the time. Next week I want to see RG3 get 20-25 throws. He's a rookie and needs the reps.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #83
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I am happy RG3 had a game like this. He needed to see that defenses are alot faster in the NFL and running will not always work. He adjusted as the game moved forward. He has a quick release and he needs to learn to adjust in the pocket then get the ball out of there.

Niles Paul has shown me nothing to warrant him replacing Cooley or Paulsen. I hope he is really the TE we are trying to trade, behind the scences.

Alfred Morris Looks great. he gashed the Bears 1st team defense in the start until the line started to falter.

Hopefully Cousins continues to look good and earns the Number 2 spot. I don't want Grossman to see the field this year during the regular season.
Personally I don't think that was nearly as bad as some of the struggles he'll have in the regular season.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #84
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Next week I want to see RG3 get 20-25 throws. He's a rookie and needs the reps.
Agree 100%.
I feel 2 different sentiments coming out of the Ashburn:

o Griff will not be treated like a rookie QB in pre-season, he'll be treated like the true starter

then there's

o Griff is a rookie that needs a lot of reps

Imo Griffin hasn't had the chance to get into a good rhythm because he hasn't thrown enough passes.
He's thrown fewer passes then some veteran starting QBs.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #85
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Agree 100%.
I feel 2 different sentiments coming out of the Ashburn:

o Griff will not be treated like a rookie QB in pre-season, he'll be treated like the true starter

then there's

o Griff is a rookie that needs a lot of reps

Imo Griffin hasn't had the chance to get into a good rhythm because he hasn't thrown enough passes.
He's thrown fewer passes then some veteran starting QBs.
And I think that's a mistake that the coaches are making.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #86
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
And I think that's a mistake that the coaches are making.
Meaning what.. Could you elaborate?

My take on last night is that we looked exactly how we should have been expected to look.. The Bears defense is going to make a lot of teams look bad this year, even with their starting lines healthy. We came in starting 3 backups (Polumbus, Hurt and Gettis) and a dinged up Williams not to mention 2 rookies in the backfield in Griffin and Morris.. Not making excuses at all for the performance but we need perspective about the status of things. We did some things on offense good, but left lots of room for improvement.

On defense, I'm HOPING we were experimenting with some things in coverage, if not then YIKES it's going to be a long season. Cedric Griffin looked S L O W! Not only on the Marshall completion to start the game but on the play on the sidelines as well. I'd rather see Jones or even Barnes (I never thought I'd say that) out there. No Fletcher surely didn't help..

End of the day, it's the preseason, hope Rak and Merriweather are back soon and looking forward to the RG3 home debut.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #87
GusFrerotte

Orakpo and Merriwether should be the biggest concerns. Brian probably will be Ok, but Merriweather might be done. Did they get MRIs yet?
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #88
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
heath meet bob
gus meet kirk
gus stop telling kirk to head butt the wall

I will never be able to downplay that!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #89
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
For anyone saying that RGIII looked like a rookie, can you specify? Not being a dick, just curious because he was fairly accurate on almost everything. Not only that, we haven't had someone with that type of scrambling ability ever. I think if there was anything "rookie like" was him potentially underestimating how fast NFL players are. The guys in the booth noticed it and I agree. Still, so refreshing to see someone that young keep his eyes down-field trying to make a play.

Now, next week if we lay an egg for the game teams supposedly game-plan for, then I'll be getting a little nervous.
I said he looked like a rookie because of a couple of plays.

First, when he fumbled I thought he should have secured the ball in traffic and taken the sack. I think that showed some lack of awareness of the pass rush in that instance. Also, his fumble occurred deep in Redskins territory where he should be extra careful with the ball.

Second, on another pass play he ran around like Fran Tarkenton and didn't seem to have any idea what to do when nobody was open and he was cornered. A veteran probably would have simply thrown the ball out of bounds.

I think he needs to learn when he can make a play and when he probably can't make one in the NFL. Even a player with his ability needs to play smart and manage the game.

I also said that I wasn't worried about his development. He will learn but he is a rookie. We need to remember that.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #90
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

We won't be getting rid of Cousins. Grossman will go before Cousins. Cousins shows promise, while we know what we get with Rex. Why go down a whole 2 notches at QB if Robert gets killed due to the ad hoc o line we have. Can you imagine what could happen if Andre Ware or any of the Giants D linemen get a blindside hit on Robert? He might be a goner, and then you are stuck with Grossman? Shoot you would be better throwing Gus back there. Gus threw too mant INTs during his stint here, but he knew how to get into the endzone as well. Grossman is just well... plain gross!