Reaction to Draft: exceeds, meets, or meh

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #76
los panda
Pro Bowl

Re: Reaction to Draft: exceeds, meets, or meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushead View Post
I don't get how people split hairs about 6th and 7th round choices when they almost never make a difference. If you mention Alfred Morris, i'll research every 6th and 7th pick for the skins from the past 10 years.
i don't think dion bailey, or whoever the kicker was that we drafted, will have a successful nfl career.

why can't we sign a punter who can kickoff touchbacks?

Advertisements
Old 05-16-2014, 03:21 AM   #77
Skins4L
Impact Rookie

Im OK with our selections. Murphy looks like Triple H...nah Kane.. I dunno But anyway... I hope he pans out I really do.

I wanted Louchiez Purifoy.. fell because of some off field stuff. He went undrafted. Colts nabbed him we should have gotten a steal.

I think we got some value for no 1st rounder. We might have walked away with 3 or 4 impact guys I trust Gruden.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #78
Skins4L
Impact Rookie

We've had shitty kickers here for awhile.... gruden knows that.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #79
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Breeland:“I want to improve my tackling technique and coverage, and I want to be a real coachable guy for my coaches. In any situation, I would want them to want to call my number or call my name.”

I love this pick already.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #80
skinsfan69
Living Legend

The kicker would have been there to sign as an UFA. I know everyone here was high on Skov and I think that would have been the perfect pick for for us as a 7th rounder. It certainly fits a need. That was really my only issue. Never draft a kicker. However they seem comfortable at ILB after minicamp when no one has pads on. SMH...
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #81
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The kicker would have been there to sign as an UFA. I know everyone here was high on Skov and I think that would have been the perfect pick for for us as a 7th rounder. It certainly fits a need. That was really my only issue. Never draft a kicker. However they seem comfortable at ILB after minicamp when no one has pads on. SMH...
I definitely had Skov on my mind starting with Round 6. I thought that Skov would have had a chance to make the team. I find it hard to count out a player with his production and intagibles. His super-slow forty time really hurt him. I wish him good luck with the 49'ers.

I thought they'd be more likely to draft a punter than a kicker. I was hoping that the Skins would draft Pat O'Donnell in the 7th but he went to Chicago in the 6th.

As the draft was in progress, I was thinking Skov in the 6th and O'Donnell in the 7th.

On the other hand, I can't go along with your dismissing some of the veteran ILB's because they haven't done any hitting since they've been with the Skins. These guys are pros who have already played in the NFL. The Skins know how they play with the pads on.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #82
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I definitely had Skov on my mind starting with Round 6. I thought that Skov would have had a chance to make the team. I find it hard to count out a player with his production and intagibles. His super-slow forty time really hurt him. I wish him good luck with the 49'ers.

I thought they'd be more likely to draft a punter than a kicker. I was hoping that the Skins would draft Pat O'Donnell in the 7th but he went to Chicago in the 6th.

As the draft was in progress, I was thinking Skov in the 6th and O'Donnell in the 7th.

On the other hand, I can't go along with your dismissing some of the veteran ILB's because they haven't done any hitting since they've been with the Skins. These guys are pros who have already played in the NFL. The Skins know how they play with the pads on.
I'm not dismissing them, I just heard Gruden say he was happy with the group after mini camp. I just didn't get that comment cause they're not in pads. I would've added another young guy in the draft and put him in the mix. I've never really been all that I impressed w/ Riley and Robinson hasn't played much.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #83
MTK
\m/

Was a 7th rd LB really going to come in and have an impact or push for a starting job? Really doubt it.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #84
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Breeland:“I want to improve my tackling technique and coverage, and I want to be a real coachable guy for my coaches. In any situation, I would want them to want to call my number or call my name.”

I love this pick already.
He might be my favorite pick of the draft. With him we now have good size at the corner position along with Amerson. If both of these young guys can develop into starters we might have some good corners for the next X amount of years.

After that I really like the entire draft process. Not many "wow" picks, however everyone is gushing over Moses in the third, I believe it was more of a "filling needs" draft. Not only selecting players that are capable back ups and fill-ins but also players who can contribute on special teams (which we definitely needed.)

I really only see a couple starters from this draft, Long and Moses, this year. But the potential for future starters is high, and until then we at least helped out our special teams.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #85
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Was a 7th rd LB really going to come in and have an impact or push for a starting job? Really doubt it.
Maybe not this year. But in the 2nd and 3rd years? Absolutely. I think ILB is a weakness and was one of the reasons the defense stunk.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #86
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Maybe not this year. But in the 2nd and 3rd years? Absolutely. I think ILB is a weakness and was one of the reasons the defense stunk.
I agree we rolling the dice with Robinson but the free agent ILBs were picked to hedge the bet.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #87
SouperMeister
Playmaker

I take a show me approach, especially when we trade down from our first pick. When we traded out of the first round with Atlanta in 2008, we got two 2008 second round picks (#34-Devin Thomas) (#48-Fred Davis), 2008 fourth round pick (#103-William Hayes), while Atlanto got our first round pick (#21-Sam Baker), 2008 third round pick (#84-Harry Douglas), 2008 fifth round pick (#154-Kroy Biermann). Atlanta came away with a starting OT and a solid #3 receiver - they won that trade.

I feel that Shanahan did especially poorly trading out of the #10 pick in 2011 for the #16 (Kerrigan) and #49 (which was traded down further to net Hankerson, Gomes, and M. Hurt. Getting more bodies can be good, and Kerrigan is a very good player, but we could have had either J.J. Watt or Robert Quinn at #10, both of whom are elite defenders now. Too often when teams get cute and trade down in the first round, they miss on elite talent. Regarding Watt and Quinn, read this and weep: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...175558487.html
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #88
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I take a show me approach, especially when we trade down from our first pick. When we traded out of the first round with Atlanta in 2008, we got two 2008 second round picks (#34-Devin Thomas) (#48-Fred Davis), 2008 fourth round pick (#103-William Hayes), while Atlanto got our first round pick (#21-Sam Baker), 2008 third round pick (#84-Harry Douglas), 2008 fifth round pick (#154-Kroy Biermann). Atlanta came away with a starting OT and a solid #3 receiver - they won that trade.

I feel that Shanahan did especially poorly trading out of the #10 pick in 2011 for the #16 (Kerrigan) and #49 (which was traded down further to net Hankerson, Gomes, and M. Hurt. Getting more bodies can be good, and Kerrigan is a very good player, but we could have had either J.J. Watt or Robert Quinn at #10, both of whom are elite defenders now. Too often when teams get cute and trade down in the first round, they miss on elite talent. Regarding Watt and Quinn, read this and weep: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...175558487.html
Yeah, Kerrigan is a solid player but not on their level. Hindsight is 20/20.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #89
Irrefutable
The Starter

Redskins cut Tommy Rees

Sign:

S Ross Madison 6-1 200 4.53 Toledo

DB Courtney Bridgett 6-3 176 4.55 6 BP
CB Blake Sailors Georgia 28 tackles in 4 seasons
DT Frank Kearse Alabama A+T 6-4 315 5.3

if these are the best of the unsigned players it was a weak group

Last edited by Irrefutable; 05-17-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #90
Bucket
Playmaker

Making a call right now.

If Orakpo gets hurt this year. He will NEVER win his job back from Murphy. The guy is going to be great. I don't make predictions very often, but this is one I will make.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote