Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Bucs Postgame

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #76
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Bucs Postgame

Why is everyone acting like Heineken is some fragile oft injured quarterback who is 5-6 and 131 lbs?

Lets look at his injury history.
College - zero injuries.

NFL - 1) elbow injury in a game he threw 55 passes. He was let go without ever having a chance to prove himself there. Why? Because he was undrafted out of ODU.
2) concussion - again let go because when you are undrafted out of ODU and get injured you also get thrown away.

Last night the O line was atrocious and the guy got banged around so much he needed to go to the locker room - most big strong tough real nfl quarterbacks would come back out with a baseball cap on - he came back out and almost won the game for us.

Quarterbacks get injured guys. Outside of Eli Manning I cannot think of that many who are always healthy. Taylor Heineke having injury issues is a bunch of crap.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #77
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
For those blaming the defense, we played a pretty good QB who has great weapons and good line in front of him. Brady had a power running game helping him. Tampa defense is also no joke. Despite all of that, we had the ball down by 5 or 6 late in the 4th quarter with plenty of time and could not score. PERIOD. The defense played well enough to win against a very good team.

Heineke looks great. We finally have QB that has the brain, foot work, accurate arm and can scramble. He loves and plays well in our system. He has command of our system. What a concept! I really like this kid. He had no running game and was running for his life.

We need to keep investing building the lines in the draft. It has served us well so far on defense. We need that on offense. Please, no more reaching for a QB or WR. If we had a running game today, we would have won.

It is NOT the defenses fault.

The secondary was terrible. They had guys running wide open all night. That isn’t because Brady is great right? That is because our secondary was crap.
We were getting gashed by Fournette. Dude had his best game of the season.
We gave the goat more time than he needed. The pass rush was non existent for the most part.

Our defense is supposed to be the strength of the team. It is where all our resources have gone. Last night it underperformed and the offense over performed.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:04 AM   #78
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
For those blaming the defense, we played a pretty good QB who has great weapons and good line in front of him. Brady had a power running game helping him. Tampa defense is also no joke. Despite all of that, we had the ball down by 5 or 6 late in the 4th quarter with plenty of time and could not score. PERIOD. The defense played well enough to win against a very good team.
Heineke looks great. We finally have QB that has the brain, foot work, accurate arm and can scramble. He loves and plays well in our system. He has command of our system. What a concept! I really like this kid. He had no running game and was running for his life.
We need to keep investing building the lines in the draft. It has served us well so far on defense. We need that on offense. Please, no more reaching for a QB or WR. If we had a running game today, we would have won.
I think if we play the run stronger, put them in longer 3rd downs...maybe stops a scoring drive or 2. They kinda got gashed.

I see 3 areas on the team where we will see a complete overhaul, Linebackers and Wide Receivers. TE as well. From those 3 position groups I’d say only Logan Thomas, Cole Holcomb and Terry are coming back. It’s gonna be like 10 new guys total between those 3 position groups.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:04 AM   #79
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
There is no way in hell the league was letting Us win last night. The refs were so one sided it was insane

Why do all you guys think that the league has it in for the WFT? Lol. Seriously what is in it for them?
Also is the theory that the commish is paying the refs to fuck us over?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #80
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I think if we play the run stronger, put them in longer 3rd downs...maybe stops a scoring drive or 2. They kinda got gashed.

I see 3 areas on the team where we will see a complete overhaul, Linebackers and Wide Receivers. TE as well. From those 3 position groups I’d say only Logan Thomas, Cole Holcomb and Terry are coming back. It’s gonna be like 10 new guys total between those 3 position groups.

TE is an area of need over secondary or o line? Nah. We probably need a tight end to pair with or back up Logan but it is far from a problem. O line, WR, mLb, and secondary. We better tighten those for areas the fuck up.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #81
GridIron26
Playmaker

The game went better than I expected, I thought we would lose badly. The defense didn't do much to support the team although they did prevent Bucs from scoring TDs in red zone, which is not easy considering the offense weapons Bucs have. The Dline excluding Payne was dominated by Bucs Oline.

We should bring Heinicke back for next year and have him compete for the starter spot. At this point, we have no idea who our QB will be so we definitely will need to have a QB competition during the training camp. I'm having hard time seeing Ryan and Stafford being released by their teams so I think we will have limited QB options so we need to look everywhere to find QBs to compete with Heinicke. I would absolutely love to keep Heinicke as back up if he doesn't win the starter spot.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #82
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

Bottomline for me
Defense could have played a bit better and we win
Offense could have played a bit better and we win
Coaching needed to be better for us to win.

In the end we were a 7-9 team with a QB off the street and new head coach that made a damn good showing and will make real noise next year in an improved division.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #83
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
The game went better than I expected, I thought we would lose badly. The defense didn't do much to support the team although they did prevent Bucs from scoring TDs in red zone, which is not easy considering the offense weapons Bucs have. The Dline excluding Payne was dominated by Bucs Oline.

We should bring Heinicke back for next year and have him compete for the starter spot. At this point, we have no idea who our QB will be so we definitely will need to have a QB competition during the training camp. I'm having hard time seeing Ryan and Stafford being released by their teams so I think we will have limited QB options so we need to look everywhere to find QBs to compete with Heinicke. I would absolutely love to keep Heinicke as back up if he doesn't win the starter spot.

Sorry you spelled dominating wrong. It’s spelled “held all night and never called”. It was blatantly obvious all night. The pics are on here.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #84
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Bottomline for me
Defense could have played a bit better and we win
Offense could have played a bit better and we win
Coaching needed to be better for us to win.

In the end we were a 7-9 team with a QB off the street and new head coach that made a damn good showing and will make real noise next year in an improved division.

Yeah. Anyone complaining about last night just needs to take a deep breath and compare where we are now compared to the end of last year. With the weirdest offseason ever because of covid.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #85
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
Sorry you spelled dominating wrong. It’s spelled “held all night and never called”. It was blatantly obvious all night. The pics are on here.
I saw Payne getting held some, but Sweat and Young they just seemed to be less dominant. That could be because the middle of the pocket didnt collapse as much but I know Chase was definitely not in the play as much as in other games.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #86
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Why do all you guys think that the league has it in for the WFT? Lol. Seriously what is in it for them?
Also is the theory that the commish is paying the refs to fuck us over?
Well it seems like we always get screwed by refs and last night there were some awful calls against us and some blatant holding that wasn’t called,BUT the 2 instant replay reviews definitely could have went the other way but we got the call,I was surprised they both went our way
Old 01-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #87
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
TE is an area of need over secondary or o line? Nah. We probably need a tight end to pair with or back up Logan but it is far from a problem. O line, WR, mLb, and secondary. We better tighten those for areas the fuck up.
I don’t think the secondary or the Oline is terrible. I like our depth at Oline and Charles and Ismael are kinda waiting in the wings to compete on the left side.

Reaves, Curl, Collins, Fuller, Moreland all coming back. I’d like to see Darby back as well.

Logan Thomas is the only thing at TE, and we can’t play 12 man package (2 tight) We need to add talent here so we can add this to the playbook. Helps the offense substantially, especially running the ball.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #88
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I've tried to write this as a critical analysis and not some homeboy coloured piece. I couldn't stay up late this morning and watch the game live, so I watched the game after I got up this morning, so maybe it's because it was the cold light of day and not the heat of the moment, but I can only agree with some of what's been written already.

But suffice to say, I'm proud to call myself a fan of WFT today.

O
First of all Heinicke exceeded expectations and then some. Was he great? No, he was very very good. He made a few mistakes and got lucky on 1 or 2 throws (and unlucky on the INT), but he put the ball up there and gave us a chance. We certainly didn't lose because of him. Is he starter material? From the small sample size I have to say no, but he's a potential reliable backup; based on what I've seen it's obvious his injury history is why he was out of the league, not his ability. But as some have alluded to, durability is a big factor in an NFL QB and I'm not sure he has that. I mean, TB is 43, still playing close to the top of his game and a good part of that is largely staying healthy. I'd definitely re-sign him but he's not our answer to QB1 at this point.

RB's - the running game sucked but against this D we really should have known it would. The Buccs play D as a unit, while they have a few star players, they have a lot of good players that play as a solid team, each owning and executing his responsibility. Our D is almost there (I'd say 2 good LB's and a top CB away), and should look to the Buccs D for inspiration. To complain about the run game isn't giving credit to a fantastic run D. I was a little disappointed to see a lack of screen passes, but to bitch at the backs for lack of involvement in the passing game belies the Buccs scheme; our backs were covered very well coming out of the backfield.

WR's - McLaurin aside, who I didn't see do anything less than expected of him, I was again impressed by Cam Sims. He's not a #2 starter, but he is the 2nd best in a poor corps. But he and Steve Sims dropped key passes. In a playoff game. Regardless of what happens with Harmon and AGG (who haven't proven anything yet), we have to upgrade our #2 and maybe #3 positions and give whoever is QB next year more options. Last night underlined what we already know there. The only 2 I would say a this point have nailed on roster spots in '21 are Terry and Cam.

TE - Thomas had a good game but got lost at times and again proved he needs more work on his run blocking. He might be our Goedert to an future Ertz, but proved we need a top prospect TE who can help the running game not just the pass. He's the only one I'd say has a lock on a roster spot.

OL - Again, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here, they have played well, maybe above their collective unit ability, but this was THE best run defence in the NFL and by some margin. Expecting to move them off the line and gain chunk yardage? Nope. But pass blocking was definitely above average. Heinicke had time to throw and didn't face a constantly collapsing pocket as we've seen before. We have to sign Scherff as he's clearly a leader on that unit, and has the capability to be a perennial all pro with some more support around him. I'd bring them all back next year, but we have to draft an LT and try to upgrade LG. Maybe even look for an upgrade to Moses.

DL - again, it's easy to critique a lack of pressure but TB's bread and butter is quick read/release passing. You have to have top coverage on the back end to force him to stay in the pocket long enough to reach him. Tie that to a good OL (Wirfs looks like a monster), and we were never getting DeAngelo Hall's 10 sacks. And run D we already know needs reinforcement, though frankly that's down to a below average LB corps more than the DL. Next year bodes very well for these guys.

LB's - aside from Holcomb I'm not expecting anyone else to be starting next year, or maybe not even on the team. Bostic had a couple of good plays but was otherwise invisible. We have to upgrade here. The Brate had a good game for this very reason; we don't have coverage LB's.

DB's - aside form a couple of breakdowns they played well. Evans, Godwin and Brown and 3 VERY dangerous receivers, and Brady was putting a lot of those passes on the money. It might have been worse had they not had a few drops, but overall they kept Brady close to 50% completion and only a few big plays. There have to be 1 or upgrades here, but its a solid core and I'd definitely bring our end of season top 5 back. Upgrading LB coverage will also help here, allowing our S's to be more rangy and get picks.

ST's - Hopkins needs competition but he wasn't a negative factor factor last night, and Way gave us good field position on punts time and again. But Sims was a liability as punt returner, and I'm surprised we have nobody better on the team. And nothing against Johnson, his sole return was a solid 31 yards, but a faster, more dynamic returner would probably have broken that one big. We need more threat to change field position in the return game and last night showed it. And someone slap Apke for not knowing the rules on a muffed punt; even if it did hit the returner (and film seems to show it did) you should know you can't advance it unless it's a fumble. That's just plain dumb.

Coaching - I think Turner didn't make many bad calls, some were just not executed, but to me he's not as good a play caller as his father; he seems to be a 'stick with the scheme' guy rather than dialling up plays to make the most of the best talent he has on the field. Why was McLaurin repeatedly on crossing routes when we needed big gains (2nd or 3rd and long)? I don't know that even upgrading the skill positions, is going to make him able to use those players best. And I agree the squib kick was questionable at best. I suspect they saw something in the return team they could exploit, but to me you do that down 3+ scores, not in a tight game. And I said it last week, we needed more blitzes, though I suspect the inability of LB's to cover probably made that too risky. We didn't seem to be trying very hard to surprise Brady. But I will say, whether it was something RR did consciously or just having a lets go for it attitude, we came out much better to start with than previously this season. I honestly believe that's something about having a QB that wasn't hobbled physically or by his skill set. The fact we went deep early and often was good and something we should have done more of this year (had we been able to?).

Overall we played well and I think we did the best we could with what we had. Showed me we are only a piece or three away from being a top 10 team. We're certainly set up to dominate the East for 2-3 years if we can get a QB1.

But I do agree with one thing that the more I think about it and re-watch some plays, the more I think it was factor - the officiating. The missed PI wasn't egregious though it stopped a drive dead, but the missed holding calls were horrendous. And I believe I saw a clear hands to the face that was missed too. We got lucky on the horse collar tackle that wasn't, but overall we had to overcome a subpar crew that helped Tampa out on at least 3-5 plays (including that punt that should have been a muff). In the regular season that would be annoying, but in the playoffs its unforgivable. Must do better NFL.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #89
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yeah I was saying this last night as well. Dude played great and I want to keep him around to compete but he’d have to really hit the weight room and bulk to a size like a Romo was. His arm is comparable to a Romo as well, but Day 1 starter? No way lol. If he competes with a rookie and wins the job fine but I’d still rather have a Stafford or Matt Ryan for 2 years.
Let's please don't consider Matt Ryan. He's far to inconsistent and not worth the huge contract he'll ask for. Is he better than what we have? Sure, but he is just not the answer.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:06 AM   #90
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I saw Payne getting held some, but Sweat and Young they just seemed to be less dominant. That could be because the middle of the pocket didnt collapse as much but I know Chase was definitely not in the play as much as in other games.

There was another one where the center grabbed and threw down Allen. Sweat and Chase were being held a fair amount as well. Just is what it is. What sucked even more was the totally phantom holding call on Scherff on Heinike’s first down run.