DWOC's International Burn a Koran Day

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #76
saden1
MVP

Re: DWOC's International Burn a Koran Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
There you have it! Fundamentalist nutjob muslims win by a landslide.
This may cast some doubt on the Olive branch project. On the bright side only half will draw and fire. The other half might take the Olive Branch.....not a problem
You wanna put operation "An Eye For An Eye" into effect?

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 09-09-2010 at 02:51 AM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #77
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You wanna to put operation "An Eye For An Eye" into effect?
I......wanna do what makes sense. If the Olive branch will work, I'm on it.
If it will not we need to use the tools at our disposal as is necessary. If you look to some of our brothers and sisters in Europe, they are having some fun with the muslim communities. I would hate to have that dilemma....plague the USA.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #78
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

This needs derailed.

Can we all now agree that the best solution for all involved is to remove all religion? No more muslims, christians, hindu, jews, you name it, no mas. We can gather all of the holy books together and have a big pig roast (the now ex-muslims would love this, as they would get the chance to see that pork is delicious). We'd certainly have less to bitch at each other about. Then we could divide society down important lines, like Redskins fans vs. Cowboys fans. And Eagles fans, or as they would be known in this future utopian society, the homeless.
:FIREdevil:headbange:FIREdevil:headbange:FIREdevil :headbange

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #79
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
I get the mistreatment of christians but what I fail to understand is what you base 35 to 40 percent figure on. I would be shocked if you can find a poll that supports your claim that that many support the killing of americans.
Keep in mind I said the 35-40% was NOT the percentage that would actually become jihadists, but that support Fundamentalist Islam (sharia, etc).

This Pew poll towards the bottom has a section with % that support or justify suicide bombing.

Obama More Popular Abroad than at Home, Global Image of U.S. Continues to Benefit - Pew Research Center

This report from U of MD (Testudo Rules) is pretty interesting in the support for violent acts against civilians is fairly low (however estimating 5% of 1.2B Muslims worldwide is 60M, that's a large amount of potential jihadists), but what is concerning is the percentage that would impose strict sharia law. The Brookings Institute also had a hand in this, so it's not from Fox or Heritage

Printable Version
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #80
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
This needs derailed.

Can we all now agree that the best solution for all involved is to remove all religion? No more muslims, christians, hindu, jews, you name it, no mas. We can gather all of the holy books together and have a big pig roast (the now ex-muslims would love this, as they would get the chance to see that pork is delicious). We'd certainly have less to bitch at each other about. Then we could divide society down important lines, like Redskins fans vs. Cowboys fans. And Eagles fans, or as they would be known in this future utopian society, the homeless.
:FIREdevil:headbange:FIREdevil:headbange:FIREdevil :headbange
Says the guy with the PJ5 avatar.....J/K

If we did that then we would look like India's caste system with the Cowpuke fans on the bottom of the totem pole, slightly below the Iggles fans.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #81
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Come on, think big, think First Emperor of the United States of America!
The first emperor of the United Empire! When do u disband the senate?
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #82
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Well, I am not generally an advocate of such things but if we did, would muslims then conclude that it was just a small violent faction of Americans responsible and not the majority who are peace loving?
Who gives a shit? Do we lower our standards because "that's what them damn muslims do..?" Of course not. I don't particularly love any culture that basis itself upon religion, especially when said religion involves placing wholly illogical restrictions and consequences on my favorite 50% of the population, but- This whole "I don't like you so I'll burn something you feel is important" thing is juvenile at best. What adult that you know converses in such a manner? Of course, the undeveloped mind does tend to flock to this sort of thing. It's not like this is a group of Rhodes scholars we are talking about.

Thomas Paine
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #83
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
BTW.......it's Quran
not Koran as in Korea
It has been transliterated in several different forms, your example being one of them. I believe that the most "accepted" as far as beliefs/accuracy goes is "Qur'an" but I could be mistaken.

lol @ Koran as in Korea.. where were you going with that?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #84
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

BTW...Quran is one of the currently accepted spellings of the Koran....allegedly.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #85
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
It has been transliterated in several different forms, your example being one of them. I believe that the most "accepted" as far as beliefs/accuracy goes is "Qur'an" but I could be mistaken.

lol @ Koran as in Korea.. where were you going with that?

Add one "e" and it's "Korean" maybe? Side note, Firstdown spells Quran with at least two f's, one z and possibly a j.

Thomas Paine
Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #86
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

yeah lol just figured if he thought that was our mixup it was very obvious.. or no reason to really post it as most of us know how to spell Korea.. maybe he thought that we thought that it was Qurea or something

I believe firstdown spells Quran "blazfimmy!"
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #87
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Who gives a shit? Do we lower our standards because "that's what them damn muslims do..?" Of course not. I don't particularly love any culture that basis itself upon religion, especially when said religion involves placing wholly illogical restrictions and consequences on my favorite 50% of the population, but- This whole "I don't like you so I'll burn something you feel is important" thing is juvenile at best. What adult that you know converses in such a manner? Of course, the undeveloped mind does tend to flock to this sort of thing. It's not like this is a group of Rhodes scholars we are talking about.
You bring up an interesting point about adults behaving like juveniles, because as it pertains to religion, logic and rationalization tends to be suspended in favor of raw emotions, usually fear and anger, and feelings. There's nothing logical about burning a Quran. And there's nothing sane about running two commercial line planes into the Twin Towers either, although the men who comitted the act were college educated. But Marx was certainly on to something when he said "religion is the opiate of the people".

What we have here is a classic example of extremism vs. absolutism. In both cases, the actions of a fringe element don't properly represent or reflect the values and teachings of the respective religions. Islam has been so westernized and politicized following the events of 9/11 that most Americans really don't know what the Quran actually teaches or to whom it applies. So just as it's wrong to condemn one religion with a vile and dispicable act, I also believe it's wrong to throw out the baby with the bathwater and say that all religion is evil because of the actions of a minority. I guess one could also make an argument about the difference between faith and religion, but I'm not here to fight that battle, nor do I care to.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #88
12thMan
MVP

BleedBurgundy, the entirety of my post wasn't directed at you. Just some general sentiments of my own mixed in there.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #89
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Keep in mind I said the 35-40% was NOT the percentage that would actually become jihadists, but that support Fundamentalist Islam (sharia, etc).

This Pew poll towards the bottom has a section with % that support or justify suicide bombing.

Obama More Popular Abroad than at Home, Global Image of U.S. Continues to Benefit - Pew Research Center

This report from U of MD (Testudo Rules) is pretty interesting in the support for violent acts against civilians is fairly low (however estimating 5% of 1.2B Muslims worldwide is 60M, that's a large amount of potential jihadists), but what is concerning is the percentage that would impose strict sharia law. The Brookings Institute also had a hand in this, so it's not from Fox or Heritage

Printable Version
I looked through the poll and it seems quite interesting...the summary combines suicide bombing "often justified and somewhat justified" responses but the full report doesn't (there are really eye catching oddities in the responses which they touch on).

If you ask Americans in a broader context outside of Islamic terrorism as to whether suicide is ever justified I am sure you will get some takers. The real issue is whether the killing of civilian is ever "somewhat justifiable" and to this I point to you the views of most Americans on dropping two H-Bombs on Japan or their views on collateral damage... they are necessary evil.

Given the level of mistrust and apprehension of the United States and Israel and hopelessness in the face of their mighty armies you are more likely to see support for suicide bombing in these countries than you would in the west. As for suicide bombing itself it is not a fundamental part of Islam as some would have us believe; it is a nothing more than a desperate act that is justifiable by anyone (see Japanese kamikaze pilots).

Now as to Sharia law, it's a broad subject matter that spans cultures and multiple facets of Islam. There is more to it than you hear on the radio and tv which is too often washed down to make it appear more sinister than it is (picky and choosy while ignoring the similarities to the old testament). Like the biblical scripture the Qur'an is open to interpretation and each culture/society makes its own laws based on what it thinks the holly book tells it (the Turks are very lax while the Saudis are very strict but not as super crazy strict as the Taliban). Just because you find Sharia law appealing it doesn't mean there is something wrong with you and one can equate these people to American Conservative Christians.

Quote:
Sharia can be divided into five main branches: ibadah (ritual worship), mu'amalat (transactions and contracts), adab (morals and manners), i'tiqadat (beliefs), and 'uqubat (punishments).

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 09-09-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling and grammatical mistakes
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #90
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Add one "e" and it's "Korean" maybe? Side note, Firstdown spells Quran with at least two f's, one z and possibly a j.
Its chourann. Its funny now the president is getting involved.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote