Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How will our defense hold up next year?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #76
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Motivated? How about more rested? 2 turnovers a game by their own QB is about the worst thing the Defense had to deal with. I'd temper the expectations for RGIIi as a rookie though. There are going to be growing pains.
Rest is a minor factor compared to playing with the lead. After all, if 2 extra minutes of playing is already exhausting your players....something is amiss.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #77
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
2011 Reg Season:
32nd defense - Green Bay Packers
31st defense - New England Patriots
27th defense - New York Giants
24th defense - New Orleans Saints
13th defense - Washington Redskins

2011 Offenses
1) New Orleans Saints
2) New England Patriots
3) Green Bay Packers
8) New York Giants
16) Washington Redskins

2011 Defense Rankings

Okay, clearly there's always talk about defense winning championships. And defense is clearly important and we need to address this. BUT before we get carried away, our defense was GOOD ENOUGH to compete with the top teams in the league above.

The more important point is, our offense is traditionally what has lost games. And the risky moves for #1 picks and overpaying WR's -- I believe they were well spent for high risk-high reward franchise QB and #1-2 WR. I would say that RG3-Garcon will do more for our team than the best secondary in the planet. For example, if we became the best defense in the league, we'd give up 8 less points per game. If we became the best offense in the league, we'd score 17 more points per game, much more impact.

* Baltimore, San Francisco and Denver had great defenses, but inevitably collapsed
very good point.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #78
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanarchist View Post
Are questions like this intended to gauge devotion, and loyalty? And then when you infer that I'm disloyal does my voice lose all volume? Seems like a very domineering approach to human interaction.
Lol nothing gets by you does it?

PS

Viva la revolucion!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #79
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
2011 Reg Season:

2011 Offenses
1) New Orleans Saints
2) New England Patriots
3) Green Bay Packers
8) New York Giants
16) Washington Redskins

2011 Defense Rankings

Okay, clearly there's always talk about defense winning championships. And defense is clearly important and we need to address this. BUT before we get carried away, our defense was GOOD ENOUGH to compete with the top teams in the league above.

The more important point is, our offense is traditionally what has lost games. And the risky moves for #1 picks and overpaying WR's -- I believe they were well spent for high risk-high reward franchise QB and #1-2 WR. I would say that RG3-Garcon will do more for our team than the best secondary in the planet. For example, if we became the best defense in the league, we'd give up 8 less points per game. If we became the best offense in the league, we'd score 17 more points per game, much more impact.

* Baltimore, San Francisco and Denver had great defenses, but inevitably collapsed
Pittsburgh and Houston.

Avg Points per game given up:
Green Bay - 19th
New England - 15th
Giants - 25th
Saints - 13th
Redskins - 21st

And the Giants barely made it, helped out by a certain Dallas Cowboys team.

Despite the fact we gave up fewer yards than them, we did not do better than most of them in giving up points either.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #80
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
2011 Reg Season:

2011 Offenses
1) New Orleans Saints
2) New England Patriots
3) Green Bay Packers
8) New York Giants
16) Washington Redskins

2011 Defense Rankings

Detriot , N.O. and GB all had 5,000 plus yards passing , and were 0-3 in the playoffs , just saying . I hope we focus on OL and , yes Defense from here on out .... as I want to put .... Romo , Vick and Eli on the ground very often .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #81
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
Detriot , N.O. and GB all had 5,000 plus yards passing , and were 0-3 in the playoffs , just saying . I hope we focus on OL and , yes Defense from here on out .... as I want to put .... Romo , Vick and Eli on the ground very often .
Yeah but two of those teams won the SB recently by throwing a lot.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #82
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanarchist View Post
Are questions like this intended to gauge devotion, and loyalty? And then when you infer that I'm disloyal does my voice lose all volume? Seems like a very domineering approach to human interaction.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #83
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

regarding hall, at this point, i think its more likely they restructure his deal than release him. he's heads and shoulders above anything else on the market now. He's not a BAD corner. He's an average, starting caliber corner with big play potential. He's worth keeping, just not at his current cap figure. I'd be all about keeping him and extending/restructuring his deal to lower his cap hit.

Then again, every corner on the market this year got vastly overpaid (in my opinion), so maybe hall is getting paid fair market value.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.

Last edited by BigHairedAristocrat; 03-16-2012 at 10:09 AM.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #84
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
regarding hall, at this point, i think its more likely they restructure his deal than release him. he's heads and shoulders above anything else on the market now. He's not a BAD corner. He's an average, starting caliber corner with big play potential. He's worth keeping, just not at his current cap figure. I'd be all about keeping him and extending/restructuring his deal to lower his cap hit.

Then again, every corner on the market this year got vastly overpaid (in my opinion), so maybe hall is getting paid fair market value.
I've often thought about how best to use Hall's great ability. I always thought he could be a great corner. Since college he's drawn the title overated, and I always thought it was his lack of focus & attention to the details. He wants to make the 1 big play more than many small plays that matter.

He wouldn't be a good FS cause he wants to gamble all the time, but is there a nicke/dime package where he could be like a 3rd safety in the middle of the field? Blache used to have the "Cobra" w/3 safeties. Don't know if that's what I'm thinking, I just see Hall being best used to roam towards the ball, not cover per se.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #85
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

if we have an offense that can actually score points, we can afford to have a more aggressive, gambling defense.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #86
RGIII

I think what we have to hope for is that this team plays greater than the sum of it's parts. There will be some stars recognized as a result of solid play and above all, 10+ wins. Drafting one of the top QBs in this year's draft is probably the biggest addition to this defense. It's cliche, I know.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #87
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
I think what we have to hope for is that this team plays greater than the sum of it's parts. There will be some stars recognized as a result of solid play and above all, 10+ wins. Drafting one of the top QBs in this year's draft is probably the biggest addition to this defense. It's cliche, I know.
Cliche but true. Griffin should make everyone else on the roster look better.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #88
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
RGIII certainly is confident.
Skinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #89
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Yeah but two of those teams won the SB recently by throwing a lot.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Yes , they did . While I happen to like much of what the F/O has done , I feel more confident that a team built around O-Line and Defense will put us in the hunt more often ( say over ten yrs w/ RG111 ) . But , if we win a SB or two with teams like NO or Indy ......... I'm on board with that too !
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #90
Monksdown
The Starter

Defensive Power Rankings: Texans, Niners elite - NFL.com

Middle of the pack?
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote