2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-28-2022, 09:36 AM   #856
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: 2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
What a whiner… That article is a waste of internet space.

Why let each of your competitors know you now “have” to trade him?
When did they say they “have” to trade him? All they said is they do not expect to offer him an extension. They don’t “have” to trade him.

Why haven’t they been trying to trade Daron Payne earlier in this 2022 offseason…?
Well, they did let teams know weeks ago that he could be had in a trade.

If they had traded Payne earlier, could they have not kept both Ioannidis and Settle?
Maybe, but it appears they didn’t want to go that route. Those guys were purely depth. Matty I did NOT look the same after his injury, and Settle only played 20-30% of the time. Who knows if he would even be productive with a bigger role. Sometimes I think we value depth guys too much. They are valuable, but not irreplaceable.

Has there been much of a plan this offseason? Is it just me, or does it seem there are reactions rather than direction and vision?
They planned to upgrade the QB position – Check.
Early on they identified three players by name who they really wanted to bring back (C Sims, JDM, and B McCain) – Check.
They let someone else overpay for Scherff, and brought in Norwell and extended Leno.
Signed a quality kicker.
Exercised Sweat’s option.
Resigned or brought in 8-10 other dudes for depth along O-line, D-line, LB, and secondary.

Yeah, no plan, no direction, no vision – all reactions. Sounds like your run of the mill jaded Washington fan...

Some people just like to complain…
I agree with your overall point, and I do think this offseason (depending on the draft, and if we add a couple of decent LBs or not) has been quite smartly managed so far.
But I don't think it's crazy to be worried that the supposed strength of this defense will no longer be after we lose 3 of our 4 interior DL guys. And I don't think it's unfair to think we may have been better keeping either Ioannidis or Settle, neither of whom signed crazy expensive contracts.

Now, a good draft, a solid vet MLB, and you won't hear me bitch about Payne not having been extended, they did need to be smart with the cap after Wentz trade.

Advertisements
Old 04-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #857
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://twitter.com/Commanders/statu...vHBJSfhF8GaZ8A

LOL
Old 04-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #858
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
What a whiner… That article is a waste of internet space.

Why let each of your competitors know you now “have” to trade him?
When did they say they “have” to trade him? All they said is they do not expect to offer him an extension. They don’t “have” to trade him.

Why haven’t they been trying to trade Daron Payne earlier in this 2022 offseason…?
Well, they did let teams know weeks ago that he could be had in a trade.

If they had traded Payne earlier, could they have not kept both Ioannidis and Settle?
Maybe, but it appears they didn’t want to go that route. Those guys were purely depth. Matty I did NOT look the same after his injury, and Settle only played 20-30% of the time. Who knows if he would even be productive with a bigger role. Sometimes I think we value depth guys too much. They are valuable, but not irreplaceable.

Has there been much of a plan this offseason? Is it just me, or does it seem there are reactions rather than direction and vision?
They planned to upgrade the QB position – Check.
Early on they identified three players by name who they really wanted to bring back (C Sims, JDM, and B McCain) – Check.
They let someone else overpay for Scherff, and brought in Norwell and extended Leno.
Signed a quality kicker.
Exercised Sweat’s option.
Resigned or brought in 8-10 other dudes for depth along O-line, D-line, LB, and secondary.

Yeah, no plan, no direction, no vision – all reactions. Sounds like your run of the mill jaded Washington fan...

Some people just like to complain…
Can't disagree with any of that.

My take on Settle? I'd be surprised if they didn't talk to him but they most likely said we'll talk after the draft if you're unsigned. Like you say he wasn't beating out Payne for playing time so can only be viewed as 2nd string. Not worth chasing. If we do trade Payne before/during the draft, likely they'd look at replacing him with a rookie. If we get no good offers, we keep Payne and let him walk for the comp pick. I'd actually be surprised if someone doesn't offer a better return than an equivalent 3rd rounder. I'd say a decent 2nd and 3rd/4th might be enough to pull the trigger.

I'm not ecstatic about their moves so far, but neither am I cussing them out. Nothing they've done is a WTF move, and especially picking up a veteran QB made sense because it freed up the draft to go after BPA/need rather than forcing in a rookie unknown quantity at QB (though I'd like to have kept that 2nd rounder if possible).
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:41 PM   #859
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Yup , like I said it feels like they are making it up as they go along

Good way to put it.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:49 PM   #860
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Here's the real problem with the AJ Brown trade - Eagles gave him 4 years, 100 mil, 57 million guaranteed. Assuming you think Terry Mac is on his level the Eagles just reset the WR extension market.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:56 PM   #861
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Here's the real problem with the AJ Brown trade - Eagles gave him 4 years, 100 mil, 57 million guaranteed. Assuming you think Terry Mac is on his level the Eagles just reset the WR extension market.
Pay Terry 101 and 58 million.

He is absolutely everything you want from a football player, and plays a key position.

And our team needs him.

McLaurin on O and Allen on D. Amazing leadership on both sides.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #862
MTK
\m/

Quote:
TM should get something very similar, maybe a little more, possibly a little less. But that's the framework.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:36 AM   #863
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I mean if this was the case…I’m good with it.

But shit, you let Settle walk for peanuts.
I still don't understand why they didn't renegotiate Wentz's contract. Free up some space this year and let us work around Payne.

I also question Payne's value on the open market. Yes he's a former first rounder - counterpoint he's not an elite pass-rushing DT that can eat up double teams to free up edge rushers. I question whether we would get a third rounder comp pick for him at all, that might be his ceiling.

So the question now becomes - do we trade him for a day 2 pick today? Or trade him for a day 2/3 pick next year? No way we're getting a first rounder for him even if it is a 2023.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:41 PM   #864
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

No way we're getting a 1st round pick. I agree with you. He should be worth a 3rd or 4th round pick, which is ok...but maybe the best bet is let him play out the season and not worry about replacing him just yet.

I would be ok either way - trade him now or let him walk after the season is over. But if they are willing to trade him now, they better have a plan to replace what he brings.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:43 PM   #865
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I still don't understand why they didn't renegotiate Wentz's contract. Free up some space this year and let us work around Payne.

I also question Payne's value on the open market. Yes he's a former first rounder - counterpoint he's not an elite pass-rushing DT that can eat up double teams to free up edge rushers. I question whether we would get a third rounder comp pick for him at all, that might be his ceiling.

So the question now becomes - do we trade him for a day 2 pick today? Or trade him for a day 2/3 pick next year? No way we're getting a first rounder for him even if it is a 2023.
D tackle is thin this year, if you are gonna let him walk nothing less than a 3rd. If not, then take the expect comp and keep him

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:50 PM   #866
EdmundDorf
The Starter

I wonder whether they already have a FA DT lined up if they can trade Payne. It is the only way it makes any sense to me
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:05 PM   #867
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
TM should get something very similar, maybe a little more, possibly a little less. But that's the framework.
Yep. $26M per year is 4% more than Brown. $24M per year is 4% less. We're talking percentage points, just try to give him the same thing. If he asks for $26M say yes and be done w it.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:29 PM   #868
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:

wentz is a year to year deal (team option). why lock yourself in to him? he's not going to agree to touch the contract unless you add MORE money and deadcap (if he doesn't work out).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:35 PM   #869
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
wentz is a year to year deal (team option). why lock yourself in to him? he's not going to agree to touch the contract unless you add MORE money and deadcap (if he doesn't work out).
Don't have a link but somewhere Ron apparently said they look at Wentz as the multiyear solution - not just a 1 year tryout qb which is what his salary suggests (correct me if I'm wrong but his guaranteed money is huge this year and then very manageable in 2023).

I'm still trying to figure out why we are so tight up against the cap. Where is the money going?
Old 05-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #870
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Washington is signing former Steelers’ free-agent guard Trai Turner to a one-year, $3 million deal, per source. Turner previously played for Ron Rivera in Carolina.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote