Fresh Start Political Thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #781
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah…I think it’s safe to say these aren’t conservative run cities and haven’t been maybe ever? It’s not really about politics IMO. I mean the legacy of gentrification in San Fran is evident tho.

This is a really good article from a person who has lived in Portland since the 90s. It’s not left or right perspective:

https://reason.com/2021/03/22/the-dr...d-in-portland/

Lol…what, I didn’t see this (bold) originally…but I tried to blow up what? Lol

Classic response “to” a trumper who ….
Meaning Portland or some liberal city that is “burning to the ground and unsafe, escape from new york like snake pliskin type of shit” , when its really not, always comes up after some Trumper tries to blow something up.
Wasn’t talking about you. You resurfaced and so u are clearly not the one who attempted this. Unless you have access from the cell? Who knows?
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #782
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
60,000+ Afgan refugees coming to the states!

Quick Reminder for Conservatives:
All lives matter.
Jesus would welcome them with open arms.

We can give back anyone who was at the Capitol in a red hat for starters. Id feel 1000 percent safer with them here and all the whack jobs reading q anon sites and buying guns for the “revolution “. Even swap.
Could some of the 60 k be bad people. Of course. Can they be worse ? No. Chances are extremely high that they are not all on par with domestic terrorists.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #783
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
What qualifies as a refugee from Afghanistan? I imagine 90% of them hate the Taliban but are too scared and/or don't have the power to do anything about it.

There are 30+ million people there. How do we choose who gets to leave? Millions of them probably want to get out of that shithole.

Were all the ones who were on our side and their families included in that number? If so than they qualify. I guess anyone else who does what they need to do to get here the right way….if they are able. Hopefully any decent person there who wants a better life for themselves because the one they have there is not humane gets out.
That should be every Americans hope. But im sure the far right and their mouth piece is already in the war room coming up with ways to spin it into “Biden welcomes Afghan criminals and warlords to America posing as refugees “.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:35 PM   #784
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Fresh Start Political Thread

Quote:
What qualifies as a refugee from Afghanistan? I imagine 90% of them hate the Taliban but are too scared and/or don't have the power to do anything about it.

There are 30+ million people there. How do we choose who gets to leave? Millions of them probably want to get out of that shithole.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cSG?li=BBnb7Kz

"According to a U.S. official involved in the effort, the U.S. is currently evacuating mostly U.S. citizens, green card holders, and the spouses and children of those individuals. Afghans who were employed by the embassy or other U.S. agencies in Afghanistan haven’t yet been evacuated in significant numbers."

"Mr. Price added that the administration was working to expedite the screening process for Afghans, but cited the “rigorous vetting” required before admission to the U.S.

“That vetting, by and large, is taking place [in] third countries,” he said."
Old 08-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #785
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cSG?li=BBnb7Kz

"According to a U.S. official involved in the effort, the U.S. is currently evacuating mostly U.S. citizens, green card holders, and the spouses and children of those individuals. Afghans who were employed by the embassy or other U.S. agencies in Afghanistan haven’t yet been evacuated in significant numbers."

"Mr. Price added that the administration was working to expedite the screening process for Afghans, but cited the “rigorous vetting” required before admission to the U.S.

“That vetting, by and large, is taking place [in] third countries,” he said."
Curious how the U.S. vets Regular Joe that lives in Afghanistan. Does Afghanistan keep actual records of people?
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:18 PM   #786
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Curious how the U.S. vets Regular Joe that lives in Afghanistan. Does Afghanistan keep actual records of people?
I would assume Afghans that assisted American forces - either through translating or through helping via some other manner - IE helping build bases that we lived on or supported projects that we financed - would also be prioritized. I would also think the military would keep track of these people that were cleared to assist them so that they could be helped via green card/etc. later.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:46 AM   #787
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I would assume Afghans that assisted American forces - either through translating or through helping via some other manner - IE helping build bases that we lived on or supported projects that we financed - would also be prioritized. I would also think the military would keep track of these people that were cleared to assist them so that they could be helped via green card/etc. later.
Did we have 60,000 translators or other type assistors (for lack of a better word) to America? I'm all for all of them and their families coming here. Their lives are on the line.

But I imagine that's maybe 20,000, and that's probably on the high side.

Who are the other 40,000? How are they vetted? And how are they picked? Millions of Afghanees would come here if it was an option. And this is true we'll before 2021.

A terrorist organization runs their country now. Literally everyone that isn't in the Taliban would seem to me to qualify as a refugee.

Asylum seekers and refugees are a very hard thing to define. Not including Afghanistan right now, because this is a very special circumstance. But it seems like that if anyone that lives in a country that is worse than America (that's every country in the world), they should be allowed to come here, and you're just a scared whitey if you disagree. There are literally billions of people in the world that live in oppressive countries, should they all be allowed in?

Having questions about immigration and the actual amount of people we can take in, doesn't make you an asshole.

Note - the part in bold isn't directed at you specifically, that is just a general discussion based on the conversation in the thread.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:04 AM   #788
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Did we have 60,000 translators or other type assistors (for lack of a better word) to America? I'm all for all of them and their families coming here. Their lives are on the line.

But I imagine that's maybe 20,000, and that's probably on the high side.

Who are the other 40,000? How are they vetted? And how are they picked? Millions of Afghanees would come here if it was an option. And this is true we'll before 2021.

A terrorist organization runs their country now. Literally everyone that isn't in the Taliban would seem to me to qualify as a refugee.

Asylum seekers and refugees are a very hard thing to define. Not including Afghanistan right now, because this is a very special circumstance. But it seems like that if anyone that lives in a country that is worse than America (that's every country in the world), they should be allowed to come here, and you're just a scared whitey if you disagree. There are literally billions of people in the world that live in oppressive countries, should they all be allowed in?

Having questions about immigration and the actual amount of people we can take in, doesn't make you an asshole.

Note - the part in bold isn't directed at you specifically, that is just a general discussion based on the conversation in the thread.
I imagine several were just fleeing. The Taliban is helping regulate control to airport outside of gate: https://www.democracynow.org/2021/8/..._kabul_airport

So it looks like there is a series of vetting starting with Afghanistan and then inside the airport as well.

To answer your question about refugees and who should be considered? I really don't know. All I know is with decreased social-political and climate stability we are going to have way more people knocking on our door.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #789
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

We have records of people here. What good does it do? Will be another domestic terrorist attack in 3…2…
Old 08-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #790
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Herschel Walker running for U.S. Senate in GA.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #791
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Herschel Walker running for U.S. Senate in GA.
As a trumpette republican.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #792
nonniey
The Starter

Most Americans in general don't grasp this. You'd think someone who is President could (unfortunately the last two don't/didn't) Good explanation on what we were doing in Afghanistan and why leaving was an idiotic mistake.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ar_146300.html
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #793
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Most Americans in general don't grasp this. You'd think someone who is President could (unfortunately the last two don't/didn't) Good explanation on what we were doing in Afghanistan and why leaving was an idiotic mistake.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ar_146300.html
There was no finite game of war for us to win, declare victory, and return from. Our mission in that mountainous, tribal, quasi-nation-state that fostered terrorists was never to achieve a victory and head home. It was to maintain the minimum military presence necessary to ensure order and stop violent terrorists. It was not an “endless war” but an infinite game.

^^^ conclusion from the article you cited.

I can see the benefit of that but after the ANA folded and bribed away, learning that the 300k army we were paying for was actually 100k, the level of funds mismanagement, cost of all these contractors and "friendlies" .. plus the annual cost of just paying aid to afghanistan govt

Was it worth continuing the charade?

I say no.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:09 PM   #794
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
There was no finite game of war for us to win, declare victory, and return from. Our mission in that mountainous, tribal, quasi-nation-state that fostered terrorists was never to achieve a victory and head home. It was to maintain the minimum military presence necessary to ensure order and stop violent terrorists. It was not an “endless war” but an infinite game.

^^^ conclusion from the article you cited.

I can see the benefit of that but after the ANA folded and bribed away, learning that the 300k army we were paying for was actually 100k, the level of funds mismanagement, cost of all these contractors and "friendlies" .. plus the annual cost of just paying aid to afghanistan govt

Was it worth continuing the charade?

I say no.
It certainly appears like we are paying an enormously higher price (Prestige, trust, lives and yes probably treasure too(which you were highlighting)) in leaving than we would have if we stayed. In other words it certainly looks like it was worth staying. Due to this surrender, we've already payed more in lives than we had in the last 18 months and frankly I'm sure other Americans have already been killed there that we don't know about yet and more will killed due to our surrender of Afghanistan to the Taliban.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #795
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
It certainly appears like we are paying an enormously higher price in leaving than we would have if we stayed. In other words it certainly looks like it was worth staying. We've already payed more in lives than we had in the last 18 months and frankly I'm sure other Americans have already been killed there that we don't know about yet and more will killed due to our surrender of Afghanistan to the Taliban.
I am really torn, overall I supported exiting Afghanistan, but at the same point we still have troops in Europe 75 years after WWII. The main difference I guess is that Europe had functioning governments that chose to stay connected not puppet governments. If people in any country choose not to defend themselves and create a stable form of government, then we can't count that cost of exiting as anything but the acceptance that we are not an empire, world police organization, or dictatorship; and we should have left long ago.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote