Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Right Tackle

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who should start at RT in place of Jansen?
Heyer 54 39.71%
Wade 82 60.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #61
Bully Worm
Camp Scrub

Re: Right Tackle

I think it is Wade's job to lose. He has played the position since he was on the pee-wee team and has the right size and build to play the position. I think Heyer played a great game against the Dolphins but he is only a rookie. I think he'll give us quality as at a backup for both left and right tackle giving us some depth we haven't had in awhile. But I think our line should be ok as long everyone else can stay healthy. I feel so sorry for Jansen and hopefully this injury doesn't mark the end of his career which it very well could.
Bully Worm is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #62
Monksdown
The Starter

Why is this injury, which is nearly the same as the one suffered by our starting right guard Randy Thomas, going to end Jon's career. Did your mom tell you that?
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 PM   #63
GMScud
Swearinger

Wade has started 86 games at tackle in the NFL. Heyer? ZERO. Go with experience. Campbell's health is too important to groom a project at this point. Heyer is already a pleasant surprise. No need to throw him to the wolves and risk his confidence and our season.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #64
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

I chose Heyer. The guy played well enough to earn another chance to see if he's the real deal.

I'd say activate Wade, then get him ready if Heyer starts to fall apart. If all hell breaks loose, then pull Heyer and put Wade in.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #65
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I chose Heyer. The guy played well enough to earn another chance to see if he's the real deal.

I'd say activate Wade, then get him ready if Heyer starts to fall apart. If all hell breaks loose, then pull Heyer and put Wade in.
Wade should undoubtedly be the starter. Wade is a solid vet who, according to coaches and players, is better than Jansen at pass-protection and is good in the run game. We're paying him like a starter and he should earn his pay.

Heyer is a nice find, considering he's an undrafted rookie free agent. I know we (myself included) love undrafted free agents and root for the underdog, but I have seen nothing which leads me to believe that he should start. He got flat out beat by Kiesel in the preseason and allowed Jason Taylor to beat him for a sack. Heyer's presence, or Wade's absence, on the line also forces coaches to keep Cooley in to block more often. Don't get me wrong, I like Heyer and want to see him develop, but he's just not ready yet.

As GMScud said, why experiment at RT with Heyer when we have a solid RT in Wade and when such experiments could lead to an injury to Jason Campbell? What would people say if Heyer was left one-on-one with a DE, the DE beat Heyer, and JC was injured? My guess is they'd ridicule Gibbs for letting Heyer start despite the Heyer-Keisel-Campbell incident.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #66
jgalecpa
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown View Post
Why is this injury, which is nearly the same as the one suffered by our starting right guard Randy Thomas, going to end Jon's career. Did your mom tell you that?

I personally think that sadly, this will be the last time Jon is in a Skins uniform.

The management's current 'Flight to youth', and the history of injury combined with age conspire against him.

Gotta play Wade, IMHO (actually, my momma told me to say that)

J-Dawg
Old 09-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #67
Cowell
Impact Rookie

Yeah, Jon Jansen is getting old. I'm not sure how much he has on his contract left but I can almost guarantee you when his contract his up he won't be wearing a Skins uniform.
Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote