Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Thread Hell

A Signing Already?!

Thread Hell

Old 01-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #61
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: A Signing Already?!

So we hear all this bitching and moaning about how all the team does is sign overhyped, overpriced free agents and now we sign (for virtually nothing) a young DE very, very early in the offseason and everyone (hyperbolically speaking of course) wants to lambast this move.

Yes, he may be undersized at 240. But...he can bulk up, he can move to LB, heck maybe he'll even move to S. We have him for all the mini-camps, OTAs, we could even send him to NFL Europe.

But anyway, I'll ask my cousin about him. He's a columnist in Canada covering the CFL beat so he can give some inside scoop on this kid.

Advertisements
Old 01-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #62
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
I'll ask my cousin about him. He's a columnist in Canada covering the CFL beat so he can give some inside scoop on this kid.
Well, since the conclusion has already been reached that was just the Skins' FO being ignorant again - actual, relevant information from an individual who has seen him play is unnecessary
Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #63
paulskinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, since the conclusion has already been reached that was just the Skins' FO being ignorant again - actual, relevant information from an individual who has seen him play is unnecessary

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-w...tml#post146749

Hmmmm, lets see Joe, wasn't it you that said how CFL players were CLEARLY inferior to NFL players? Boy, you don't talk out of both sides of your mouth do ya?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #64
paulskinsfan

Is it hard being a full time hypocrite Joe, or is that just a part time gig for ya? This is the perfect example of a kool aid drinker, whatever the FO and beloved Gibbs does is full of roses and sunshine.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #65
jsarno
Franchise Player

Well, I look at it this way...it couldn't hurt.
Does anyone know the terms of the deal? If it's low enough, it might not even affect our cap.
We've taken chances on big name DE's and they haven't worked out, so why not get a no name and see what kind of production he can give us?
It's thinking outside the box. Heck, when Kurt Warner was signed, everyone said "WHO?", he was an MVP for the Rams. If This kid can get us even close to 10 sacks we'll look like a genius!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #66
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskinsfan View Post
Is it hard being a full time hypocrite Joe, or is that just a part time gig for ya? This is the perfect example of a kool aid drinker, whatever the FO and beloved Gibbs does is full of roses and sunshine.
If you paid any attention at all to Joe's posts over the past few years you'd know that what you're saying is a bunch of bull. He offers very balanced, well thought analysis praising the Redskins when deserved and critiquing them when necessary.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #67
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Well....considering one of our best players and "core Redskins", Mike Sellers palyed in the CFL, I dont see why we can't give this kid a shot. Its not like we just signed him to start for us in the Super Bowl; he is going to try out for the friggin team...who cares!?!?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #68
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Easy folks...

I'm afraid I agree with the "Let's not go all crazy over a signing that means very little" sect. Obviously the FO was impressed by the DE, and we'll get the chance to find out why. If they're wrong, the implications surely aren't drastic.

If he's a bust... so what? Their Job is to evaluate talent, and talent does sometimes come from the C.F.L. Let's be critical when it makes sense to be.

Joe Horn, Jeff Garcia, and Brendon Ayanbadejo all came from the C.F.L.

Let's not all go crazy yet... damn.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #69
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Easy folks...

I'm afraid I agree with the "Let's not go all crazy over a signing that means very little" sect. Obviously the FO was impressed by the DE, and we'll get the chance to find out why. If they're wrong, the implications surely aren't drastic.
They've been wrong A LOT...so I have little faith this kid work out...but like I said, it's can't hurt.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #70
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Hmmmm, lets see Joe, wasn't it you that said how CFL players were CLEARLY inferior to NFL players? Boy, you don't talk out of both sides of your mouth do ya?
Man, you had to do some digging for that one. First, here's the quote referenced:

Quote:
I used to watch the CFL back when they had a team in Baltimore. Maybe times have changed, but I could tell the talent difference easily. The CFL'ers were a clearly a beat or two slower. The window's of opportunity were larger in the CFL: QB's had more margin for error, the holes were slightly bigger for RB's, etc. The speed and power of the NFL players was just so clearly a cut above the CFL guys.
I stand by this statement - In general CFL players are definitely a cut below the generic NFL player. At the same time, I believe the NFL just inducted someone named Warren Moon into their hall of fame. Hmmmm, where did he start his career? What about that Garcia guy up in Philly? Didn't he come from the same league. Not saying Mr. Wilson is in that class at all, just saying to every rule there are exceptions. Further, in case I haven't been clear, I don't think Mr. Wilson is a good signing, I just don't think it is a given that it's a bad signing. In fact, I put in the class of "so-what" signing.

Quote:
1) Don't call me a hypocrite. I have NEVER asserted that this was some brilliant move by our FO - I have just consistently said it's no big deal one way or the other. 2) While I am firmly in the Gibbs camp, I am not so much that I blind to the personnel errors in the past - particularly this past year (Duckette, Archuletta, Lloyd, Pierce, Clark). But I also recognize their successes (Taylor, Washington, Moss, Cooley, Griffen, Springs). Finally,
I am no fan of Cerrato - and I think that as long as he is the prism through which Gibbs sees talent, there will be problems.

Now tell me, why does a near meaningless signing of someone who is likely to be a practice team player have you so damn pissed off?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #71
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
If you paid any attention at all to Joe's posts over the past few years you'd know that what you're saying is a bunch of bull. He offers very balanced, well thought analysis praising the Redskins when deserved and critiquing them when necessary.
Ahhhh, shucks <kicks dirt and blushes>

So will you take me to the prom?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #72
JoeRedskin

Page 5 and counting.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #73
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Ahhhh, shucks <kicks dirt and blushes>

So will you take me to the prom?
paulskinsfan can drive us to the dance
Old 01-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #74
paulskinsfan

Well, I'll say this. If we signed a Canadian it means someone, somewhere in the organization spent scouting time and resources in Canada rather than evaluating the upcoming draft and free agency. They didn't just sign him sight unseen, resources were expended here, and clearly those resources could be better utilized evaluating people who are have NFL level talent. Nice Canadian picks by the way, all QBs. And by the way, Joey, you hurled the first insults so don't act all surprised when someone gets a little ticked off with your tone.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 PM   #75
Redskin
Impact Rookie

Yea i mean who would think dan snider waiste dmoney researching a canadian, im intrested to see what this kids got.
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?