Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Potential Government Shut Down

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #61
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Yeah I can but I'm gonna hold onto it. If we get to a week in then I'm gonna go into it. I'm sitting on 47 hours right now. I'm usually a very optomistic person but this shit is really starting to scare me now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #62
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I agree. Compensating soldiers with an IOU to stare the barrel of the enemy gun seems OK to me. Carry on.
I don't see why they should be classified differently than any other government employee. No pay for everyone!

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #63
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I don't see why they should be classified differently than any other government employee. No pay for everyone!
That's the spirit.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #64
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
It's a shame we depend on the government so much. How did this happen?
Its because people depend on the goverment so much.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #65
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
National parks require things like maintenance and security for people and animals.
The woods need maintenance? Thats new. You mean we turned them into parks so they now need maintenance. Security? are parks that dangerous? Sounds like the federal government has turned something free and cheap into something expensive to run. I know it sound dumb but I'm trying to make the point of how we drive up the cost of even the simple stuff.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #66
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
The 20 yr. olds in Iraq / Afghanistan with a wife and/or child at home that are worried about car payments, house/rent payments, food, utility payments I'm sure agree with you.

I wonder why the President, Congress, and also welfare recepients still get their checks while young military families living paycheck to paycheck, with their lives on the line for the defense of this nation, see a disruption in pay.....when that issue could be fixed with a stroke of Obama's pen (see previous gov't shut-downs). Obama is the C in C and uses these kids as pawns in a politcal game....Disgusting!
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #67
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The woods need maintenance? Thats new. You mean we turned them into parks so they now need maintenance. Security? are parks that dangerous? Sounds like the federal government has turned something free and cheap into something expensive to run. I know it sound dumb but I'm trying to make the point of how we drive up the cost of even the simple stuff.
Yes, the woods need maintenance in terms of tree health care. Then there are the roads and trails through the woods. There are also efforts to prevent the poaching of endangered species.

As for security, perhaps you are unaware that drug gangs have been turning some national parks into marijuana farms. Sometimes these gangs are armed. There are a million other things that could happen.

Notice that the government did not create any of these problems. Government is required to deal with them, however.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #68
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
The 20 yr. olds in Iraq / Afghanistan with a wife and/or child at home that are worried about car payments, house/rent payments, food, utility payments I'm sure agree with you.

I wonder why the President, Congress, and also welfare recepients still get their checks while young military families living paycheck to paycheck, with their lives on the line for the defense of this nation, see a disruption in pay.....when that issue could be fixed with a stroke of Obama's pen (see previous gov't shut-downs). Obama is the C in C and uses these kids as pawns in a politcal game....Disgusting!
I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that Capitol Hill people of every political stripe are also using them as political pawns because they are being driven by ideology rather than substantive issues.
We won more with Vinny
Old 04-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #69
saden1
MVP

Quote:

As do the 22+ yr. olds who work for the government who may or may not have bills to pay.

-Jenkins
Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #70
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Well my contractor told me not to come in on Monday !

I'm pretty sure there will not be a shut down but IF there is. I'll be getting my Black Ops up !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #71
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
As do the 22+ yr. olds who work for the government who may or may not have bills to pay.
The 22+ yr. olds that work in other areas of the gov't don't face the choice of getting shot at or going to Leavenworth. Both Reagan and Clinton made sure the military did not see a pay disruption in the last two shut-downs.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #72
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that Capitol Hill people of every political stripe are also using them as political pawns because they are being driven by ideology rather than substantive issues.
If they want to fight over funding for Planned Parenthood vs. Defense acquisitions fine, I get it. But as I mentioned, all it takes is a stroke of the pen by Obama to take the soldiers timely pay out of it.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #73
saden1
MVP

Thumbs up Re: Potential Government Shut Down

Quote:
The 22+ yr. olds that work in other areas of the gov't don't face the choice of getting shot at or going to Leavenworth. Both Reagan and Clinton made sure the military did not see a pay disruption in the last two shut-downs.
What Clinton and his predecessors did is relevant. What is relevant is that the 20 yr. olds waging war will still not have to worry about where their 3 meals a day will come from and where to sleep. Let's share the sacrifice.

All citizens employees are created equal and if the republicans think otherwise the fallout will be their fault. I suspect the republicans will fold and make a deal but then again their level of retardedness can be beyond comprehension sometimes so you never know. It will be very interesting to see what happens...whatever happens I will be a happy man.

-Jenkins
Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #74
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
If they want to fight over funding for Planned Parenthood vs. Defense acquisitions fine, I get it. But as I mentioned, all it takes is a stroke of the pen by Obama to take the soldiers timely pay out of it.
My point was that it should not come down to Obama's pen.

But you and I are essentially in agreement: whatever it takes, military families should not pay the price for the budget fiasco.
We won more with Vinny
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #75
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
What Clinton and his predecessors did is relevant. What is relevant is that the 20 yr. olds waging war will still not have to worry about where their 3 meals a day will come from and where to sleep. Let's share the sacrifice.

All citizens employees are created equal and if the republicans think otherwise the fallout will be their fault. I suspect the republicans will fold and make a deal but then again their level of retardedness can be beyond comprehension sometimes so you never know. It will be very interesting to see what happens...whatever happens I will be a happy man.
The level of retardedness (not very PC of you BTW) extends across both sides of the aisle, it just depends on how you look at things on where the greater concentration of it is.

Actually a precedent set by a previous Democratic president in a similar situation is relevant. And while the single 20 yr. old wherever he/she is stationed isn't going to miss a meal, the married 20 yr. old who gets the texts/E-mails from a worried/frantic spouse at home that can't pay bills or buy groceries is not something that should be tolerated by any CinC. It shows Obama's complete lack of concern (best case) / disdain (worst case) for the servicemen & women that risk their lives under his orders. Having served myself and worked with military members since 1985, this disgusts me.