Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in Arizona

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #61
MTK
\m/

Re: Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in Arizona

Well, she sure doesn't shy away from controversy, so deserved or not she brings this stuff on herself at times. It's not like the right doesn't sling their share of BS too.

Advertisements
Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #62
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I personally would not vote for her unless I had no other choice but she does not deserve the attacks she is getting from the left. Thats just the way the media and the left work as I pointed out above.
I think to blame her or even try to shovel some blame her way or the tea party way is effing stoopid for this incident. Having the media point fingers the way it does is surely not surprising to me...msnbc or fox or whomever points fingers all the time judging people, condeming blame, its a circus....but I think most people realize this guy was a nutcase, politics aside.

I think the President said it best:

"At a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized -- at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do -- it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds,"

very well said

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #63
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I personally would not vote for her unless I had no other choice but she does not deserve the attacks she is getting from the left. Thats just the way the media and the left work as I pointed out above.
So liberals are the only ones that attack political figures? No offense, but attacks and criticism come with the territory when you are a public figure.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #64
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

It's not about party, I was a huge McCain supporter, am a registered republican...but that woman is just a ****ing house plant in terms of intelligence.

Any thinking American should feel thoroughly insulted and embarrassed that she has held public office.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #65
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
It's not about party, I was a huge McCain supporter, am a registered republican...but that woman is just a ****ing house plant in terms of intelligence.

Any thinking American should feel thoroughly insulted and embarrassed that she has held public office.
We currently have and have had alot worse hold public office. Her track record is actually pretty good. I would not vote for her as president but for another office.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #66
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Palin is a moron and that's coming from friends of mine who are Republicans. Just dont get why anyone would support her. I liked McCain, and was dumbfounded when he picked her. I am sure he would have done better with another VP candidate.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #67
mlmpetert
Playmaker

The co-founder of the Tucson Tea Party said he is worried about the threats he is receiving, including a remark by a shooting victim made to him at a televised town hall meeting.
Trent Humphries told The Associated Press on Sunday he was surprised when shooting victim James Eric Fuller took a picture of him and said "you're dead."
The 63-year-old Fuller was arrested Saturday on disorderly conduct and threat charges and taken for a psychiatric exam.
Authorities say he began ranting at the end of ABC News' forum, at one point calling the audience "whores." The show, videotaped at St. Odilia's Catholic Church in Tucson, featured victims, witnesses, emergency responders and some of those hailed as heroes after the Jan. 8 shooting in which six people were killed and 14 injured.

Read more: Tea Party Leader Surprised by Death Threat From Tucson Shooting Victim - FoxNews.com

About a year ago i was attacked and got injured pretty badly for absolutely no reason. By far the hardest part of everything that happened was not being able to put any order or reason as to what happened. Its extremely frustrating.

I think the same thing is going on here, for the victims involved and for us as spectators. At the end of the day the guy who did it was just flat out nuts and you cant control nuts. This has nothing to do with Palin, Obama, Republicans, Democrats or Tea Partiers, but it would be a lot easier to draw closure to the whole thing if it did. If we could say oh well Palin or Obama provoked this guy, okay lets stop them from provoking another person in the future, then things would be easier. Its extremely hard when you know that there is nothing that you can do to prevent what happened to you from happening to you or someone else again. The guy was nuts there is nothing that could have been done differently to prevent this from happening, especially in the political spectrum.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #68
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
The co-founder of the Tucson Tea Party said he is worried about the threats he is receiving, including a remark by a shooting victim made to him at a televised town hall meeting.
Trent Humphries told The Associated Press on Sunday he was surprised when shooting victim James Eric Fuller took a picture of him and said "you're dead."
The 63-year-old Fuller was arrested Saturday on disorderly conduct and threat charges and taken for a psychiatric exam.
Authorities say he began ranting at the end of ABC News' forum, at one point calling the audience "whores." The show, videotaped at St. Odilia's Catholic Church in Tucson, featured victims, witnesses, emergency responders and some of those hailed as heroes after the Jan. 8 shooting in which six people were killed and 14 injured.

Read more: Tea Party Leader Surprised by Death Threat From Tucson Shooting Victim - FoxNews.com

About a year ago i was attacked and got injured pretty badly for absolutely no reason. By far the hardest part of everything that happened was not being able to put any order or reason as to what happened. Its extremely frustrating.

I think the same thing is going on here, for the victims involved and for us as spectators. At the end of the day the guy who did it was just flat out nuts and you cant control nuts. This has nothing to do with Palin, Obama, Republicans, Democrats or Tea Partiers, but it would be a lot easier to draw closure to the whole thing if it did. If we could say oh well Palin or Obama provoked this guy, okay lets stop them from provoking another person in the future, then things would be easier. Its extremely hard when you know that there is nothing that you can do to prevent what happened to you from happening to you or someone else again. The guy was nuts there is nothing that could have been done differently to prevent this from happening, especially in the political spectrum.
I think you're oversimplifying this tragedy. To say it had nothing to do with politics is comletely absurd. There was just too much thought and past contact with Rep. Giffords by the perpetrator to chalk this up to everyday crazy. I know there is a reluctance to pin it on this or that, but we have to more honest about the discussion as it pertains to people with mental illnesses.

How many mentallly ill people do you suppose are law abiding citizens in Arizona and we never hear a peep from them? Whatever the number, I wonder how many of them brandish weapons and threaten innocent lives in public. Very few. In fact, if you want to make the sanity vs insanity argument, I'm willing to bet more sane assholes murder more innocent bystanders than those that are clinically insane. What we're guilty of doing, in the wake of this horrific event, is drawing a straight line from mental illness to being a mass murder and in the process disparaging those who have a mental condition that warrants treatment. I just think we have to be careful, that's all.

Truth is we still don't know all the facts yet, but hopefully we can get a more complete picture of this guy.

As an aside, I'm very interested to see how this will effect Republicans attempt to repeal healthcare.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #69
saden1
MVP

Tragic...I hope she recovers fully.

1 percent of 300 million is 3 million; 1 percent of 3 million is 30 thousand; 1 percent of 30 thousand is 300. Imagine what 300 people wielding frying pans could do if they stormed the Capital Building.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 01-19-2011 at 03:10 AM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #70
12thMan
MVP

Looks like Giffords will be released from the hospital on Friday and headed to a rehab in Texas that specializes in treating patients with brain injuries.

This story is starting to have a feel good side to it. God bless her.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #71
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Looks like Giffords will be released from the hospital on Friday and headed to a rehab in Texas that specializes in treating patients with brain injuries.

This story is starting to have a feel good side to it. God bless her.
That is outstanding. I had been wondering if there was any way she'd actually be present at the State of the Union on Tuesday (maybe even via satellite). The response would be tremendous

And how about the sacrifice Judge Roll made

Tucson Video Shows Judge Saving Other Victim - WSJ.com
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #72
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
I think you're oversimplifying this tragedy. To say it had nothing to do with politics is comletely absurd. There was just too much thought and past contact with Rep. Giffords by the perpetrator to chalk this up to everyday crazy. I know there is a reluctance to pin it on this or that, but we have to more honest about the discussion as it pertains to people with mental illnesses.

How many mentallly ill people do you suppose are law abiding citizens in Arizona and we never hear a peep from them? Whatever the number, I wonder how many of them brandish weapons and threaten innocent lives in public. Very few. In fact, if you want to make the sanity vs insanity argument, I'm willing to bet more sane assholes murder more innocent bystanders than those that are clinically insane. What we're guilty of doing, in the wake of this horrific event, is drawing a straight line from mental illness to being a mass murder and in the process disparaging those who have a mental condition that warrants treatment. I just think we have to be careful, that's all.

Truth is we still don't know all the facts yet, but hopefully we can get a more complete picture of this guy.

As an aside, I'm very interested to see how this will effect Republicans attempt to repeal healthcare.
12th, I don't mean this is an attack in any way but I think you've lost your mind. You're are one of the most even headed people on here when it comes to politics. I am baffled how your perspective on this is so skewed towards politics. The guy was nutso, crazy, bonkers. That's not disparaging it is just the truth told in dumb words. There are degrees of mental illness...he is at the top. It had nothing to do with political rhetoric any more than it had to do with the food he ate or the tv he watched. I mean you seem to be the one drawing a specious line from politics to mass murder. Perhaps I am not comprehending your argument.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #73
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
12th, I don't mean this is an attack in any way but I think you've lost your mind. You're are one of the most even headed people on here when it comes to politics. I am baffled how your perspective on this is so skewed towards politics. The guy was nutso, crazy, bonkers. That's not disparaging it is just the truth told in dumb words. There are degrees of mental illness...he is at the top. It had nothing to do with political rhetoric any more than it had to do with the food he ate or the tv he watched. I mean you seem to be the one drawing a specious line from politics to mass murder. Perhaps I am not comprehending your argument.
You think I've lost my mind in a Jared Loughner sort of way? Couldn't resist the pun. But yeah, I am a little emotionally invested; I guess we all are to some degree.

If you read all of my comments, however, you'll see that I don't place the blame solely on some political motive or any one thing, for that matter. What I said was that we don't know, and may never know, what caused Loughner to actually do this.

That said, I have to wonder why Loughner didn't carry out these heinous acts of violence on the faculty at the community college that gave him the boot for misconduct or the Army recruiter that denied him on the basis of drug use. One would think he had a more personal grievance with both of those institutions. His past contact with Giffords, as well as the letter that was found at his home, seem to indicate some political motive or extreme views. That's all I'm saying.

But to cut to the chase, do I think Sarah Palin's crosshairs made him do this? Naw, but still Sarah Palin is a major part of the backdrop of American politics and conservative culture. She is a universal and recognizable figure by any measure and has a huge and loyal following. So while Loughner may not have taken any direct cues from Palin or her website, her extreme and hateful rhetoric may have turned up the temperature quite a bit.

Now allow me to put on my partisan hat for just a second, Republicans are very adept at giving the masses pitchforks and torches and slowly backing away once the shit hits the fan. I just feel the overheated and toxic political climate may have tipped an already mentally unstable person over the edge.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #74
saden1
MVP

Cut the fcking crap people! The fact that he believed in the gold standard is king nonsense, the government wants to control you and shot up a Democratic congresswoman's event aught to be sufficient evidence that there was some political motivation.

There are left wing loons too...if that dumb bitch Palin and the right wing band of talking knuckleheads keep it up deranged mofo might pay them a visit. Karma is a bitch and don't y'all forget it! Keep it cool

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #75
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
You think I've lost my mind in a Jared Loughner sort of way? Couldn't resist the pun. But yeah, I am a little emotionally invested; I guess we all are to some degree.

If you read all of my comments, however, you'll see that I don't place the blame solely on some political motive or any one thing, for that matter. What I said was that we don't know, and may never know, what caused Loughner to actually do this.

That said, I have to wonder why Loughner didn't carry out these heinous acts of violence on the faculty at the community college that gave him the boot for misconduct or the Army recruiter that denied him on the basis of drug use. One would think he had a more personal grievance with both of those institutions. His past contact with Giffords, as well as the letter that was found at his home, seem to indicate some political motive or extreme views. That's all I'm saying.

But to cut to the chase, do I think Sarah Palin's crosshairs made him do this? Naw, but still Sarah Palin is a major part of the backdrop of American politics and conservative culture. She is a universal and recognizable figure by any measure and has a huge and loyal following. So while Loughner may not have taken any direct cues from Palin or her website, her extreme and hateful rhetoric may have turned up the temperature quite a bit.

Now allow me to put on my partisan hat for just a second, Republicans are very adept at giving the masses pitchforks and torches and slowly backing away once the shit hits the fan. I just feel the overheated and toxic political climate may have tipped an already mentally unstable person over the edge.
It was totally tongue and cheek.

As for the bolded part I would say the 'pubs are no better at it than the 'crats.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote