Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

I must have missed yesterday's game...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #61
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: I must have missed yesterday's game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
How do your figure that their D was twice as good? We got into scoring postion 4 times and Dallas only twice. Once our D made a play causing a fumble and the 2nd we gave up a TD. If we scored when given the chance by their D we win and missed the chances.
Despite both our running and passing games working a lot of the time, they didn't give up any TDs, or really even let us all that close to the end zone. We let them in, and they really didn't have any sort of a passing game to work with all day long.

If our D ever played like that, I'd slurp them too. As it was, it was still a nice effort from the entire unit as a whole. You like to see that from time to time.

Advertisements
Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #62
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I have a feeling that if we had scored some more points then so would the Cowboys. Garrett called a very conservative game and when got desperate and really needed to score they did. The defense played very well but left plays on the field. Same old same old.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #63
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Here is what I took out of SC's post, and it's absolutely true. It doesn't matter if the offense only puts up 6 points or if the defense holds up for 55 someodd minutes. The mentality of "bend don't break" can only hold up for so long. The defense let down when they needed to not bend at all, and that's what ultimately led to the final score.

You can argue that missed FGs and an inept offense lost the Skins the game, and I can agree with that, but I can also agree with the defense stopping the Cowboys all day until it mattered most. It's a combination of these things.

Good football teams find ways to win. Bad football teams find ways to lose.
The D found the way to win it was the O that failed. Just for fun I went back to week 5 to see how many teams we would have lost to if we held them to 7 points. Thats around 217 games 31 teams x 7 weeks and we would have lost 8 games and 5 ties which is about a 90% winning record. All the stats show that if your D holds teams to those low score you should win alot of games. Its just a fact that anytime a team scores on us they either take a larger lead or take the lead because our O cannot score points.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #64
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I have a feeling that if we had scored some more points then so would the Cowboys. Garrett called a very conservative game and when got desperate and really needed to score they did. The defense played very well but left plays on the field. Same old same old.
Jimmy Johnson said the same thing on the radio this morning.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #65
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Oh so now its not that our D didn't play well it was how Garrett called the plays and while your at it just add "same old same old" to your sig it will save you from typing it over and over again.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #66
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

I did not "blame the defense for not pitching a shutout". What I said was that the Skins led the game with about 6 minutes to play. The defense did not have to hold them outside field goal range; they had to prevent a TD.

They had done that - - and more - - all day long. But when it mattered most - - because if they failed the staggering offense would have precious little time to overcome the deficit - - the defense came up small.

The point for fanboys to look at is this:
The Skins' defense has done this about 5 or 6 times in the past two years. The coaches and the "Larry Michaels" of the world love to paint this as an elite defense. And for three quarters of a game they are usually well above average. But when it matters - - when it REALLY matters - - they OFTEN come up just small enough to lose the game.
Now if that isn't what happened on Sunday, I must have seen the wrong game. I'm not talking about what should have happened if the offense had scored more or what might have been if the moon were actually made of green cheese. I'm talking about what actually happened in the final six minutes of the Skins/Cowboys game on Sunday 11/22/2009.

As Dandy Don Merideth used to say on MNF back in the 70s:
"Were ifs and buts candy and nuts,
Oh, what a Christmas there'd be..."
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #67
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post

lol i hate when people do this. makes you look like a smug know-it-all talking down to the nitwit peons.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #68
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
lol i hate when people do this. makes you look like a smug know-it-all talking down to the nitwit peons.
[/INDENT]
He's saying the D is at fault. How credible can he be in the first place?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #69
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
I did not "blame the defense for not pitching a shutout". What I said was that the Skins led the game with about 6 minutes to play. The defense did not have to hold them outside field goal range; they had to prevent a TD.

They had done that - - and more - - all day long. But when it mattered most - - because if they failed the staggering offense would have precious little time to overcome the deficit - - the defense came up small.

The Skins' defense has done this about 5 or 6 times in the past two years. The coaches and the "Larry Michaels" of the world love to paint this as an elite defense. And for three quarters of a game they are usually well above average. But when it matters - - when it REALLY matters - - they OFTEN come up just small enough to lose the game.
Now if that isn't what happened on Sunday, I must have seen the wrong game. I'm not talking about what should have happened if the offense had scored more or what might have been if the moon were actually made of green cheese. I'm talking about what actually happened in the final six minutes of the Skins/Cowboys game on Sunday 11/22/2009.

As Dandy Don Merideth used to say on MNF back in the 70s:
"Were ifs and buts candy and nuts,
Oh, what a Christmas there'd be..."
If they let them score in the 3rd they still would have won. Anytime a team scores on us it big because our O does not but up any points and that what your missing. Also a game is 60min. not six. We just have to agree to disagree.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #70
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Some of you guys really seem to be humping the Dallas D. Maybe Sandtrap can join in.
I just thought the strong suit of Dallas was there offense, but the defense was very surprisingly good during the game. I think Hamlin being out was a plus for them, he overated and sux. I also was saying in the previous post that our offense is so f*ing horrible, it can make anybody look steller.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #71
MTK
\m/

Nobody can deny that the D has given up it's share of late leads over the last couple years, but again, the offense hasn't exactly pulled it's weight over that time and given the D much margin for error.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #72
mlmdub130
Playmaker

if the offense can't score one f-ing touchdown you can't blame the d, yeah we aren't the best, but we are pretty damn good, both sides of the ball have to do their part, the d can't play both sides of the ball, yeah it woulda been nice if they got those other picks, and d hall ran into the endzone instead of getting tackled by homo, but they still held dallas to one td, if out o coulda scored one touchdown game over

bottom line no way it's the d's fault

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #73
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I think if the Defense allowed teams to score on every drive whether it was a TD or FG then yes the Defense would not be doing it's job.

I'll agree the Defense has allowed teams to score late in the 4th quarter. You either have a Defense that paces itself and plays conservitively and throws in a few rushes now and then so it doesn't tire out or you have an attacking Defense that by the 4th quarter will tire out, especially if it's on the field more then the Offense.

Basically we have the latter and we need an Offense that can put up some points. If the Offense can put up points and eat the clock the Defense will not tire out so quickly and the 4th quarter won't be an issue. Unfortunatly we have no offense to compliment the attacking Defense.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #74
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Nobody can deny that the D has given up it's share of late leads over the last couple years, but again, the offense hasn't exactly pulled it's weight over that time and given the D much margin for error.
^^^Essentially explains being 3-7.

Things were different at 6-2, and even at 8-8.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #75
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Not that it matters, but ESPN just showed that Dallas had an ineligible receiver downfield on the TD pass and the officials didn't catch it. I don't blame our loss on that, it's just typical, that's all.
Yeah I saw that too man.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote