Per Adam Schefter: Betts torn ACL & MCL

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #61
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Per Adam Schefter: Betts torn ACL & MCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
becuase he isn't that good, the only reason we didn't cut him was because we drafted him so high
Really, cut any rookie if they are not starting caliber right away? Ever heard of player development?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #62
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Really, cut any rookie if they are not starting caliber right away? Ever heard of player development?
yes i have, but we wasted that pick, barnes would have been there in later rounds imo. i just don't think he is that good and we could have used all those picks a lot wiser in my mind. barnes, glenn, hensen, williams and mitchell, i like mitchell i think he was a late round find as for the rest all wasted picks when we could have drafted lineman, what have any of them done so far, nothing usually they will have a glimmer in the preseason barnes looked like crap most of the preseason and the only reason anyone knows hensen's name is cause he ran his mouth off

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #63
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
yes i have, but we wasted that pick, barnes would have been there in later rounds imo. i just don't think he is that good and we could have used all those picks a lot wiser in my mind. barnes, glenn, hensen, williams and mitchell, i like mitchell i think he was a late round find as for the rest all wasted picks when we could have drafted lineman, what have any of them done so far, nothing usually they will have a glimmer in the preseason barnes looked like crap most of the preseason and the only reason anyone knows hensen's name is cause he ran his mouth off
Justin Tryon looked like crap last year...so did Rhinehart, and they've developed. If this team is committed to building the lines, they need to pick up a lineman in the first round. I know that we've had the debates about Orakpo vs. Oher, but that would have been your opportunity to pick up a lineman. But they didn't...and for some reason they went defense for most of the draft.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #64
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Barnes needs greater patience in terms of development. Once we are mathematically eliminated, he might see some time on the field. Let's see what happens then.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #65
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I still think if we don't bring back Rogers, Barnes will be starting opposite Hall next year
Old 11-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #66
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I still think if we don't bring back Rogers, Barnes will be starting opposite Hall next year
where does smoot fall in?

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #67
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
where does smoot fall in?
Where he is now, dropped down below Tryon or gone. I think he's here for one more year. I think Rogers goes (they tried to trade him and Moss last year and I think they will trade at least one this year-assuming an uncapped year). Hall and Barnes start. Tryon is the nickel, and Smoot is the dime.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #68
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

Betts was a good Redskins, and I always hated that Gibbs signed TJ Duckett when they needed a reserve running back before they even looked to see what Betts could do for them. Or Rock Cartwright for that matter. Some of today's problems the Skins are having are directly related to some of the trades and free agent signings Gibbs made. Portis has been one of the worst since he creates so much division on the team.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #69
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I thought the Duckett deal was highly questionable as well. But Betts was a problem, as were many other players, under Spurrier. He wasn't a professional in terms of showing up on time to practice, paying attention at meetings, staying late. Portis was picked only a few slots ahead of Betts and some say that's just a testament to poor drafting by the Redskins, and smart drafting by the Broncos. But Betts also didn't have the work ethic his first few years in the NFL. And I'm a Hawkeyes fan so I've always pulled for him, but he definitely put some of his issues on himself.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #70
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I thought the Duckett deal was highly questionable as well. But Betts was a problem, as were many other players, under Spurrier. He wasn't a professional in terms of showing up on time to practice, paying attention at meetings, staying late. Portis was picked only a few slots ahead of Betts and some say that's just a testament to poor drafting by the Redskins, and smart drafting by the Broncos. But Betts also didn't have the work ethic his first few years in the NFL. And I'm a Hawkeyes fan so I've always pulled for him, but he definitely put some of his issues on himself.
You're a Hawkeyes fan? What did you think of Kirk Ferentz and his decision to let the game clock run out for the final minute against Ohio State? If I were an Iowa fan, I'd have been irate.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #71
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
You're a Hawkeyes fan? What did you think of Kirk Ferentz and his decision to let the game clock run out for the final minute against Ohio State? If I were an Iowa fan, I'd have been irate.
I was already kind of pissed going into that game with them having lost to Northwestern the week before, and then Stanzi being out for the OSU game.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #72
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I'll be really surprised if a new coaching staff, which has no allegiance or time invested in Betts, would bring back a 31 year old career backup coming off a major knee reconstruction. Especially with Portis, Rock and Mason presumably being here at the end of the season.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #73
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
And if we drafted a bunch of linemen who were either inactive or sucked, would those be wasted picks as well? Just drafting a whole bunch of linemen doesn't improve the OL.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote