Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Samuels about to Retire

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #61
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Re: Chris Samuels about to Retire

Thank you Chris! You have been a rock on the line the last ten years. A true Redskin Great. Glad I got to see you play, and someone had posted this earlier but IMO Jansen and Samuels were a great tackle tandem for so long it is sad that the Redskins wasted those two guys by surrounding them with subpar teams. We will miss you Chris. Good Luck in retirement. Hail To The Redskin Chris Samuels!

Advertisements
Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #62
GusFrerotte

Samuels was one of the best Skins since he came here, no doubt. People bitched about his blocking, never really understood that, since he was the best we had on the line for so long. I think he is the last of the Norv era draftees isn't he? Man he has seen a lot.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 AM   #63
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Yeah there has.

And now every single on of them will get to find out/remember what it is like to have an average or below average LT.

We should all stand and applaud CS. He gave us his best for a decade and will be sorely missed.
2nd that. I knew he had stenosis and I was kind of holding my breath on this one. And the day is here. Chris is one of the best lineman in team history, a future Redskins Ring of Famer, and possibly even a HOF'er. I'll miss seeing big #60 out there. A real bummer. Wish you all the best CS, you'll be missed.

The front office however knew about his spinal condition as well as the injury history of Randy Thomas, and yet we pretended it was all good... Grrr. That annoys me, especially if we have to eat a huge cap # for him next year.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #64
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
2nd that. I knew he had stenosis and I was kind of holding my breath on this one. And the day is here. Chris is one of the best lineman in team history, a future Redskins Ring of Famer, and possibly even a HOF'er. I'll miss seeing big #60 out there. A real bummer. Wish you all the best CS, you'll be missed.

The front office however knew about his spinal condition as well as the injury history of Randy Thomas, and yet we pretended it was all good... Grrr. That annoys me, especially if we have to eat a huge cap # for him next year.
I'd love to see him in the HOF, but I doubt that will happen. He never got the respect or recognition that other Pro Bowl left tackles that played the majority of the same years (Orlando Pace, Walter Jones) got. It's hard enough getting linemen in the HOF. Love to see it happen but I doubt it.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #65
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'd love to see him in the HOF, but I doubt that will happen. He never got the respect or recognition that other Pro Bowl left tackles that played the majority of the same years (Orlando Pace, Walter Jones) got. It's hard enough getting linemen in the HOF. Love to see it happen but I doubt it.
Do you realize all three of those guys might retire at the end of this year? That's three of the greatest LTs to ever play the game
Old 10-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #66
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
He was a 6 time Pro Bowler, that's a good amount of recognition.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #67
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

why on earth did samuels have a contract with this team until 2015?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #68
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
why on earth did samuels have a contract with this team until 2015?
Because our front office is shortsighted and doesn't plan well for the future. They're always trying to win this year with disregard for the direction of our team.

You could say the same for Portis. Every year he resigns with the team to give us cap space and we're financially committed to Portis for the next 2-3 years regardless of his performance.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #69
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

CP is much younger than samuels and very cuttable in 2011. In fact, he's cheaper to cut than to keep in 2010. However, Samuels is much older, has a degenerative disease the team has known about for years apparently, yet they still extended him to 2015?! And he's not really cuttable until 2013 under normal circumstances. Its just absurd. There's no excuse for it.

Hopefully, next year will be uncapped and Samuels can retire without hurting us too badly capwise. He's getting one hell of a severance package. Hes earned it, though.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #70
rbanerjee23
The Starter

thats too bad, he was a rock on the left side of the line but recently he didn't have the same ability. Curse of age I guess.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #71
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Samuels was one of the best Skins since he came here, no doubt. People bitched about his blocking, never really understood that, since he was the best we had on the line for so long. I think he is the last of the Norv era draftees isn't he? Man he has seen a lot.
Yep, that was the year we picked LaVar at number 2 and Samuels at number 3, supposedly Vinny's first draft, maybe he should think about that again.

What a great player for us; I'd encourage him to hang it up at this point, figure out what he wants out of his life after football.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #72
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

He is a Hall of Famer in my book for dealing with this team for the last 10 years and making the pro bowl 6 times on this poorly built team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #73
12thMan
MVP

But who would have thought that Jon Jansen would be in someone's starting lineup this year and both Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels would be on the brink of retirement.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #74
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
But who would have thought that Jon Jansen would be in someone's starting lineup this year and both Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels would be on the brink of retirement.
I was one of them who said to keep Jansen 1 more year.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #75
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
He was a 6 time Pro Bowler, that's a good amount of recognition.
I know but I'm saying when people start thinking about dominant left tackles of the last 10+ years for HOF entry Orlando Pace and Walter Jones' names will come up first and then Samuels. It's hard enough getting a lineman in the HOF (we still can't even get a Hog in) and it'll be even harder considering he had two dominant other worldly left tackles playing from the same era he did.

6 Pro Bowls is a good argument but that's his only case considering in 10 seasons we made the playoffs twice. I don't know what kind of stats they look at for offensive lineman beside sacks allowed and what the run game rankings wise was but he'd have to start getting mentioned in the same sentence as OP and WJ as the dominant left tackles of this era to get in.

EDIT: I could probably put Jonathen Ogden in that conversation as well, even though he retired last year.