North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Debating with the enemy

Old 05-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #61
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
The question should be rephrased as "I love three women, why isn't OK to marry them all?"

...the second and the third question then become "can firstdown handle three women" and "are there three women on the planet with low enough self-esteem to want to marry firstdown?"
edit not worth my time.

Last edited by firstdown; 05-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #62
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well they said that in NC it would come down to a 50/50 vote and would be very close. Well it won with something like 62 or 64 % of the vote so you might be wishing for the wrong thing. I also lioke how you feel the need to call people who don't agree with gay marriage "homophobes". That's straight out of the left wing hand book. If they don't agree with you call them names.
Why else would they vote for ammendment 1? Gay marriage was already illegal but that wasn't enough so they took it a step furthered and stripped away the rights provided by Civil Unions. If it isn't homophobia I don't know what it is.

The thing that makes me sick though is that this is religion getting involved in government and this is the type of stuff that separation of church and state is suppose to stop.

I have not heard a single argument from another person against gay marriage that isn't based on religion and divine mandates.

The rest of the world is laughing at us while we keep beating our chest calling ourselves the land of the free. In the short term it makes me sick and pissed off but I have realized that it's getting within striking distance now and within 10 or 20 years that 39% vote will become the 61% if not more.

Remember the majority of people in the south were against interracial marriage all the way through the Civil Rights. Those people who "disagreed" with interracial marriage are now called racist. Just like the people who "disagree" with gay marriage if not now will eventually be referred to as homophobes. Just for reference think back to how people who supported separate but equal have been remembered.

Quote:
“all marriages between a white person and a Negro or between a white person and a person of Negro descent to the third generation inclusive are, hereby, forever prohibited.”
And this pattern has repeated itself through history. Women's sufferage, slavery, basic human rights for women like owning property. Heck at one point gay sex was illegal in 49 states. Majorities were against those same issues. Doesn't make them right.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 05-10-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #63
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
They don't have the same rights. I was able to marry the woman I love. My neighbor down the street can't marry the man he loves
Right. Because you're already married.

RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #64
MTK
\m/

Live and let live.

It's all horseshit, it shouldn't be an issue in the hands of voters. Just another BS hot button issue to distract voters.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #65
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I dont think either of you guys are right. But i guess i think youre more wrong:

a) If youre subject to entitlements dont get married.

That is unless your spouse to be makes a lot of money relative to your income. Getting married in this situtation can cut your rate down significantly. Perhaps progressively in "half", but "progressively in half" isnt real in half

b) less population also means less revenue

A and B are arguable but i completely disagree with your last sentence.

Entitlement reform needs to change because it discourages marriage. 47% of us pay no income tax. 20 some percent pay a negative income tax (get money for showing up). 10-20% pay a negative income so high they effectively pay no payroll tax. If all these people were married they would loose out on a lot of loot.

Social security benefits straight up hook married people up. You never worked a day in your life, but your husband made tons and is subject to the full benefit amount? Cool, you get half of his straight up.

You should reconsider and reevaluate your thoughts. What part of what I said offends basic logic? Is it the fact that people who are single pay more in taxes than married people? You know, the tax law that requires two unmarried people to file separately and thus forfeit certain tax benefits afforded to married couples? Or is it the part where having less people means less spending on infrastructure, entitlement and various other general welfare such as student loans and educational grants?

Here's is a simple brain exercise that can help you sort out your thoughts. Ask yourself what would happen to this country's revenues and expenditures if:

a) You eliminate tax breaks for married couples.
b) You kill off 2.5% of all those over the age 65 and increase the infant mortality rate to 2.5%. Or if you wish just kill off 5% of the population.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #66
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Live and let live.

It's all horseshit, it shouldn't be an issue in the hands of voters. Just another BS hot button issue to distract voters.
I totally agree.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #67
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #68
johnwayne
Camp Scrub

I didn't read the whole thread but I live here in nc and the amendment 1 was about a lot more then gay marriage. That was just a front for it to pass. It had a lot to do with Medicaid for children and seniors. Also I guess if you're gf and bf it's ok to beat on each other because it's only domestic violence if you're married according to amendment 1. It's horrible and I hate that it passed
johnwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #69
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

This whole thing is a shame. In 20 to 30 years we will be looking back at this ban and thinking it was ridiculous. Its crazy how history just continues to repeat itself, especially when it comes to rights.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #70
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but I live here in nc and the amendment 1 was about a lot more then gay marriage. That was just a front for it to pass. It had a lot to do with Medicaid for children and seniors. Also I guess if you're gf and bf it's ok to beat on each other because it's only domestic violence if you're married according to amendment 1. It's horrible and I hate that it passed
Correct. Most of these idiots don't even realize they've squashed rights for not only homosexuals, but for heterosexuals as well. Goodbye to civil unions and domestic partnerships between men and women.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #71
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

I think this map makes a even better statement than the other.

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #72
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #73
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Remember the majority of people in the south were against interracial marriage all the way through the Civil Rights. Those people who "disagreed" with interracial marriage are now called racist. Just like the people who "disagree" with gay marriage if not now will eventually be referred to as homophobes. Just for reference think back to how people who supported separate but equal have been remembered.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #74
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
So people that dont believe in same sex marriage just need to take some classes at ECU and pay attention? Out of curiosity what was your major?
I was being a smart ass when I said that I guessed I just paid better attention than others in class. My degree is a B.S. in industrial tech: (electronics)...with minor in business. My focus was more into networking...aka cisco routers and switches. I have to say, my funnest moment was making a clock out of LEDs, capacitors, and a circuit board.

If you look at the numbers on the education level and look at the way the voting went, it would show you everything you need to know.

I used to be one those people. I believed that being gay was a choice. I believed homosexuality was wrong. I believe it was against nature. Twenty one years ago and I would have voted for this amendment. Life change the moment I started broadening my mind. I attribute a great deal of my growth to a simple philosophy class.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #75
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

TO show you that a degree doesn't mean you aren't ignorant, I present you this following FB exhange from a girl who just finished her bachelors degree in nursing.

Girl's FB status: Its so scarey to think about what will be the social norm and socially accepted in years to come. Start praying for your children now!

My response: Funny, people said the same thing when the topic of women's rights came about. /shrug

Girl's reply: Well to tell you the truth I would rather have my children growing up then...before we had any "rights" than I would now. Its just scarey to me...thats all I was saying.

If that doesn't make you facepalm, I don't know what will. She's rather undo all of women's rights just to see homosexuals denied the right to be married. If that isn't ignorance, then I'm clueless to what it is then.