2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-30-2022, 12:00 AM   #721
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: 2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Not knowing much about college football I'll have to trust you on that.
But I get the feeling MLB may be the hardest defensive position to learn in the NFL, you're making the calls, you have to know all other 10 players's assignment, and read both an NFL passing offense and an NFL run blocking scheme.
I also feel like you never want to be in a position to have to reach, and to me with no pre draft signing this is such a need that they would almost have to, unless they are in continuous contact with available FA MLBs interested to sign here after the draft...
I'm no college expert myself unless they played for FSU. Even then, I'm still no expert, but have a better chance of being right.

But, they (LB prospects) all might suck, because college isn't the pro's. But there definitely is a lot of potential to find a starting MLB in the top half of the draft imo.

I'd rather pick a MLB in the 1st 4 rounds and hope he is a baller, than move Holcomb to MLB, where I don't think he plays the best.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-30-2022, 08:18 AM   #722
njant
Special Teams

if we move or keep holcomb at MLB that,s fine but we still need another startling LB b/c there isn,t any on team right now
njant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:41 AM   #723
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Coach Ron Rivera: 'Tired' of Washington Commanders being 'easy target,' but winning is the fix

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ay-fix-winning
Ron had no idea what he was getting himself into taking the Washington job.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #724
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Ron had no idea what he was getting himself into taking the Washington job.
I'd find that almost impossible to believe. NFL execs/coaches/agents, etc are a tight knit circle. Everyone talks, everyone would be well aware of what goes on here. Snyder has two decades in this league under his belt, nothing should come as a big surprise. And he consulted with Gibbs who I'm sure behind closed doors would give an honest coach to coach opinion.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:41 AM   #725
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I'm no college expert myself unless they played for FSU. Even then, I'm still no expert, but have a better chance of being right.

But, they (LB prospects) all might suck, because college isn't the pro's. But there definitely is a lot of potential to find a starting MLB in the top half of the draft imo.

I'd rather pick a MLB in the 1st 4 rounds and hope he is a baller, than move Holcomb to MLB, where I don't think he plays the best.
Idk ... after seeing how hard it is to transition from College to NFL at MLB, Id rather fill that spot with a vet FA and use 1st round picks on positions that can step in and contribute right away and are expensive to fill in FA (WR, T, QB, CB, Edge)

Right now you could add one of the best inside LBs in Bobby Wagner as your MLB for 11m/1 year.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #726
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Idk ... after seeing how hard it is to transition from College to NFL at MLB, Id rather fill that spot with a vet FA and use 1st round picks on positions that can step in and contribute right away and are expensive to fill in FA (WR, T, QB, CB, Edge)

Right now you could add one of the best inside LBs in Bobby Wagner as your MLB for 11m/1 year.
We only have about $10M available right now and who knows if he would even want to come here.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #727
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Some people here want a top notch player for way less in compensation than he is worth to this team. Frankly, I don't think Bobby Wagner would want to come here but, if he would listen, I would offer him as much as $15m for 1 year with a team option for a second year because this man could do more to elevate our defense and team than any other player that is currently available.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:25 AM   #728
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
We only have about $10M available right now and who knows if he would even want to come here.
I think the likes of Bobby Wagner and the Honey Badger are still free agents because they may be asking for too much money. And they are probably looking at specific teams as well.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #729
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Yeah with our current cap, even the bump we get post June 1, id rather use it to extend Terry and find a more affordable vet option at MLB.

I was speaking more in general terms.

Theres positions you can fill in FA for pretty decent decent value (G, C, LB, RB)

Other positions are so much more expensive in FA (QB, WR, CB, T)

LB is kinda middle ground for me. Good ones cost money in FA, not WR/QB/CB/T money but more than G/C/RB.

Im starting to think MLB is a hard jump from college to NFL and you might better be served adding a vet MLB through FA who has already acclimated to the position

vs taking a MLB in the first round, then coaching him up for 1-3 years.

MLB might be the hardest position to go from college to NFL. At QB at least your coaching staff can manage a playbook to a rookie QBs strengths. As a rookie MLB, offensive coordinators get to call the plays and target your weaknesses.

ikd just watching Jamin Davis has been somewhat eye opening
Old 03-30-2022, 11:31 AM   #730
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Some people here want a top notch player for way less in compensation than he is worth to this team. Frankly, I don't think Bobby Wagner would want to come here but, if he would listen, I would offer him as much as $15m for 1 year with a team option for a second year because this man could do more to elevate our defense and team than any other player that is currently available.
He wants a 11m 1 year deal reportedly.

Is visiting Rams soon. Cowboys on radar.

Agreed, I dont think at 32 he wants to come here but C.R.E.A.M. .. but we dont have the cap space to over pay.

It was nice to envision him as a target early in FA but the book seems to be closed and im fine with that.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:32 AM   #731
MTK
\m/

Thing is with Jamin Davis, he was never advertised as a plug and play guy. We knew he was going to be a project simply based on his lack of experience coming out of college. Couple that with tossing him into the deep end having to learn MLB and that's a tough ask for any rookie. We shouldn't shy away from taking a rookie MLB based on what we've seen from JD.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:33 AM   #732
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Not knowing much about college football I'll have to trust you on that.
But I get the feeling MLB may be the hardest defensive position to learn in the NFL, you're making the calls, you have to know all other 10 players's assignment, and read both an NFL passing offense and an NFL run blocking scheme.
I also feel like you never want to be in a position to have to reach, and to me with no pre draft signing this is such a need that they would almost have to, unless they are in continuous contact with available FA MLBs interested to sign here after the draft...
The fan experience for football is fun, but the games are brutal to watch the talent differential even in conference is usually extreme.

Watching a typical BCS is like watching a grand prix between a Ferrari Modena and Renault Avantime. When a BCS team plays FCS team forget it that Ferrari might as well be racing a Vespa Primavera
Old 03-30-2022, 11:34 AM   #733
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
So, it's up to Ron Rivera to get him to listen and to make enough cap space available to sign him.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:39 AM   #734
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Thing is with Jamin Davis, he was never advertised as a plug and play guy. We knew he was going to be a project simply based on his lack of experience coming out of college. Couple that with tossing him into the deep end having to learn MLB and that's a tough ask for any rookie. We shouldn't shy away from taking a rookie MLB based on what we've seen from JD.
Agreed. Jamin started for 1 year plus.

Lloyd is a 3 year starter, Dean 2 years.

I might be a bit jaded re rookie MLB due to Jamin Davis experience. Who can still be a baller, physical traits are there.

100% not giving up on Davis.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:45 AM   #735
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Agreed. Jamin started for 1 year plus.

Lloyd is a 3 year starter, Dean 2 years.

I might be a bit jaded re rookie MLB due to Jamin Davis experience. Who can still be a baller, physical traits are there.

100% not giving up on Davis.
+1

JD was obviously not ready for MLB, but I hope settling in on the weak side this year playing with someone who has experience at MLB - guessing it's gonna be through the draft unless we get a late FA signing will help. But we obviously still gotta do something at MLB.