Clinton Portis To Announce Retirement

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #46
scowan
The Starter

Re: Clinton Portis To Announce Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
CP finishes 27th on the all time list, pretty nice accomplishment. But going by some of the names ahead of him, I find it hard to see CP getting in to the Hall.

NFL Career Rushing Yards Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com
And to add to this, The Skins were not contenders very often when CP was with us, though no fault of his part. I man let's just face facts folks without a legit QB, you can't win in this league and I loved Mark Brunell as much as the next guy when he was here, but the Skins haven't had an elite QB in 20 years. Hoping so much for RG3 to fix that.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #47
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
Portis was a fine RB in his prime, but that was a terrible deal in an of itself... They should have been sending a COUPLE picks our way, instead Danny was so excited by the "big name" RB and so ignorant about the actual value and rarity of a true shutdown corner that he got smoked by Shanahan...
champ bailey was leaving dc no matter what. and the whole league knew it. this is 1 time the front office got the best deal possible.

at that time it looks like denver got the best of us. champ is special, and shanahan zbs was churning out 1000 yard backs with ease. and denver got our second round pick they used on clinton replacement tatum bell.

but since bell really didnt do much in denver, bailey did well but denver never really went anywhere, meanwhile portis carried our offense for a few years....

I think we got the better deal by sheer luck.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #48
imaskin4life
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I was at the game for Clinton's first carry. The place went crazy.
My cousin's friend got so hyped after that run that he punched a hole in the wall in his own home. LOL.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #49
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Same here. When he broke that run off, it was nuts. I still think that's his best carry as a Redskin.
I was also at the game and if I'm correct it was the longest run he had as as a skin.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #50
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Great post

I'd say top 3 redskins backs no doubt..

Riggins
Davis
Portis

For me personally
Thats what I had. Top 3. Definately Riggo first and second, third, fourth, and fifth could all be a toss up with Portis, Davis, Byner, and some other older cat whose name escapes me right now.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #51
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Don't forget Larry Brown on that "Greatest Backs" list.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #52
firstdown
Living Legend

He will probably trip up before getting on the ballet or get luck and stumble his way in.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #53
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Not surprised by this announcement. Thanks CP for everything you did here in DC. Nothing but the best to you in your next life. HAIL!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #54
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I was also at the game and if I'm correct it was the longest run he had as as a skin.
It was for a long time. He broke a 78 yarder against KC in 09, which is kinda odd cause he was slower then and didn't get a TD that play.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #55
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
It was for a long time. He broke a 78 yarder against KC in 09, which is kinda odd cause he was slower then and didn't get a TD that play.
I remember that play too . I don't think we ended up scoring a TD on the drive.
We have settled for a lot of fg over the years. We were awful in the redone with zorn and last year we finally showed some life at times with Rex of all people at qb of course he threw a few picks down there as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #56
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Don't forget Larry Brown on that "Greatest Backs" list.
Good Point...
LB WAS the Offense
Larry Brown Old School running back - YouTube
">
Larry Brown Old School running back - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #57
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
champ bailey was leaving dc no matter what. and the whole league knew it. this is 1 time the front office got the best deal possible.

at that time it looks like denver got the best of us. champ is special, and shanahan zbs was churning out 1000 yard backs with ease. and denver got our second round pick they used on clinton replacement tatum bell.

but since bell really didnt do much in denver, bailey did well but denver never really went anywhere, meanwhile portis carried our offense for a few years....

I think we got the better deal by sheer luck.
I can pretty much guarantee you Shanahan would have done the deal without Danny throwing the pick in. He took advantage of an Owner who was meddlesome and had an outsiders (a fan really who bought the team) inflated idea of RB value. Shanahan's tendency to rarely if ever draft RB's in the first round all the way back to TD, should be all the proof you need to draw that Conclusion. Shanahan's always been ahead of the curve in that regard...

So it's pretty easy to say he would have done the deal straight up, even given up a pick himself if push had come to shove.

Oh and one other thought, "leaving DC no matter what" sorry but lots of unhappy players go no where with trade demands, they really have zero leverage, unless the owner runs his team like a fantasy football manager. We've even seen a guy demand a trade, then "retire" only to be traded for 1st and 2nd round draft picks a few months later, and that was a older guy who was coming off two lackluster years who hasn't looked good since his knee injury... Champ was a shut down corner coming into his prime with the better part of his career ahead of him.

Caving in and getting desperate because a restricted free agent is demanding things isn't exactly what most teams do, and the idea that Champ was in charge and dictating things only holds merit because of the inexperienced owner who allowed that to work for Champ, and then got over excited by the thought of getting his very own Fantasy Football RB1... Like any fool who doesn't know what he has, he got taken by the guy who "saw him coming".

Last edited by 44 goes 50 gut; 08-22-2012 at 11:31 PM.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #58
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Some things are bigger than football, and Champ's situation was just that.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #59
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
I can pretty much guarantee you Shanahan would have done the deal without Danny throwing the pick in. He took advantage of an Owner who was meddlesome and had an outsiders (a fan really who bought the team) inflated idea of RB value. Shanahan's tendency to rarely if ever draft RB's in the first round all the way back to TD, should be all the proof you need to draw that Conclusion. Shanahan's always been ahead of the curve in that regard...

So it's pretty easy to say he would have done the deal straight up, even given up a pick himself if push had come to shove.

Oh and one other thought, "leaving DC no matter what" sorry but lots of unhappy players go no where with trade demands, they really have zero leverage, unless the owner runs his team like a fantasy football manager. We've even seen a guy demand a trade, then "retire" only to be traded for 1st and 2nd round draft picks a few months later, and that was a older guy who was coming off two lackluster years who hasn't looked good since his knee injury... Champ was a shut down corner coming into his prime with the better part of his career ahead of him.

Caving in and getting desperate because a restricted free agent is demanding things isn't exactly what most teams do, and the idea that Champ was in charge and dictating things only holds merit because of the inexperienced owner who allowed that to work for Champ, and then got over excited by the thought of getting his very own Fantasy Football RB1... Like any fool who doesn't know what he has, he got taken by the guy who "saw him coming".
Ordinarily you'd be right. But like SS alludes to, the Champ situation was different than the normal "demanding free agent". He wasn't resigning with us, probably through no fault of the Skins.

Agreed about Shanny being good at dealing with RBs, same way Andy Reid has recently done a brilliant job managing his QBs in trades. It's just in this case, we weren't in position to demand full value for Bailey. Love how we ended up with CP, though! Denver missed Portis since he left!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #60
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Hog1, thanks for the awesome Larry Brown highlights.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote