Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Gibbs hinted that Springs is hiding an injury

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #46
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Gibb's hinted that Spring's is hiding an injury

I thought the same thing about the money comment.

I decided not to comment on it because I always do when players say crap like that and it starts a shit storm saying the player doesn't deserve the cash.

Seriously though, his comments are ALWAYS over his salary, not about wanting to help the team.

Advertisements
Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #47
WillH
The Starter

To all that are calling this a lavar type situation:

When they did that whole thing with lavar it wasn't over a contract dispute. Lavar had a degenerative knee problem, meaning the cells and tissue in his knee were constantly deteriorating, he was never going to be the same player again. The coaches had to find other options. Lavar may have been slighted, but it was undeniably good for the team.

If springs to has some debilitating injury, and will never be the same player again, then yes this is another lavar situation, and yes the coaches should see what else they have in smoot and rogers.

But we have heard nothing to suggest that so I will have to assume there is simply some miscommunication. Gibbs said he didn't look sharp in practice, but looked good come game time, and we all know Gibbs makes his decisions based on how people look in practice. So if he looks as good in practice this week as Gibbs thought he looked in pregame warm ups Sunday, he will be starting in Philly.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #48
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

For me, I'm thinking that if Springs really IS "doggin' it" in practice and ends up on the bench all year, this doesn't really speak highly of him if he KNOWS they'll cut him after this season.

If he wants someone to pick him up and play, he needs to show other teams that he's NOT injury prone and that he IS a team player. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until next week.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #49
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think you're on point.

This comment by Springs caught me off guard a bit

I agree that Gibbs and the coaches may have felt that Springs just hasn't earned a starting job. I'm feeling a bit of the LaVar situation all over again. I think the coaches are sending him a clear message that he needs to step up his game and earn his playing time. That money comment by Springs is disappointing to me. I expect more from a proven vet like himself.

Hopefully he'll get his act in gear and get on board.

The money comment was a pointed comment to the coaching staff and Snyder. I think he believes this all has to do with him not redoing his contract. Which i sort of believe as well. You can't tell me the coaches know his body more than himself. He said he is as healthy as he has been in a while. If they were concerned about him being hurt, then don't put him on the field at all. As far as this sounding like the LaVar issue, it does sound a bit similar. Both went through a little contract thing, then all of the sudden they can't play up the a certain level. I just find that hard to believe. That was proven wrong w/ LaVar at the end of the 2005 season after putting him back in. I hope springs get his chance to play. Our secondary needs him to play more than just Nickel.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #50
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace View Post
what would you do for a klondike bar?

would you act like a monkey....

would you ...kill a man............
Were you watching that episode of Family Guy also yesterday?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #51
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post

When they did that whole thing with lavar it wasn't over a contract dispute. Lavar had a degenerative knee problem, meaning the cells and tissue in his knee were constantly deteriorating, he was never going to be the same player again. The coaches had to find other options. Lavar may have been slighted, but it was undeniably good for the team.

If springs to has some debilitating injury, and will never be the same player again, then yes this is another lavar situation, and yes the coaches should see what else they have in smoot and rogers.

But we have heard nothing to suggest that so I will have to assume there is simply some miscommunication. Gibbs said he didn't look sharp in practice, but looked good come game time, and we all know Gibbs makes his decisions based on how people look in practice. So if he looks as good in practice this week as Gibbs thought he looked in pregame warm ups Sunday, he will be starting in Philly.
Lavar with a degenerative brain,knee,foot,hand,face, and arm condition was still better than Warrick Holdman.

He absolutely was put in the dog house. We saw that Lavar was still capable in Washington when he played, and in New York up until he got hurt again (achilles). Warrick Holdman hasn't been, and never will be close to the linebacker Lavar was, even while recovered from injury.

What's undeniable is that Rocky would have been better for the team to start. He was tearing it up on special teams, and when he finally got in he did great. Dale Lindsay really screwed up, and he got fired because of it.

"Man, with my salary this year I'm not trippin'," Is a STAB. It's a direct attack at Snyder, and anyone who's tried to get him to lower his salary. I think the Danny has a problem with him, and it makes me curious as to the influence Dan Snyder has on things like this. Can he get players to not play as much?

My gut thinks that Joe is interested in winning football games first, and dealing with grudges second, but who really knows. Maybe the Dan tries to go through other routes than Gibbs; ie Lindsay last year?

For the record; I don't think Springs is wrong for not reducing his salary. The NFL is a business, and he's been more than earning of his contract. He's still our best corner, and if he can stay healthy he will earn his money.

My hope for this is that it will blow over, because not only is Springs right, but he's very good. This defense can't perform as well without him, and the Danny will have to give his ego a back seat, and let him play.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #52
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:

"that whole thing w/Lavar" started w/a contract dispute, a fairly major & public one at that. Lavar believed his agents, who said the team slighted him $6.5 mil in his contract, yet the agents acknowledged not reading the contract as they were under pressure to sign before a deadline. Add to that the Danny hates the Poston bros, Lavar's agents.

That was the beginning of Lavar's downfall in DC. You can try & separate the issue w/his knee, but the bad feelings & the public statements made by both sides over the contract definitely had something to do with it.

Even if it was just a matter of how Lavar's attitude changed in practice & around the coaches, it still affected the whole situation.

Could it be that Springs' likewise has become a little negative since they asked him to take a cut? Sure, could also be that the danny tells Gibbs & co. to sit players sometimes. He supposedly threatened Coles w/that.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #53
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
Lavar with a degenerative brain,knee,foot,hand,face, and arm condition was still better than Warrick Holdman.

He absolutely was put in the dog house. We saw that Lavar was still capable in Washington when he played, and in New York up until he got hurt again (achilles). Warrick Holdman hasn't been, and never will be close to the linebacker Lavar was, even while recovered from injury.

What's undeniable is that Rocky would have been better for the team to start. He was tearing it up on special teams, and when he finally got in he did great. Dale Lindsay really screwed up, and he got fired because of it.

"Man, with my salary this year I'm not trippin'," Is a STAB. It's a direct attack at Snyder, and anyone who's tried to get him to lower his salary. I think the Danny has a problem with him, and it makes me curious as to the influence Dan Snyder has on things like this. Can he get players to not play as much?

My gut thinks that Joe is interested in winning football games first, and dealing with grudges second, but who really knows. Maybe the Dan tries to go through other routes than Gibbs; ie Lindsay last year?

For the record; I don't think Springs is wrong for not reducing his salary. The NFL is a business, and he's been more than earning of his contract. He's still our best corner, and if he can stay healthy he will earn his money.

My hope for this is that it will blow over, because not only is Springs right, but he's very good. This defense can't perform as well without him, and the Danny will have to give his ego a back seat, and let him play.
Well put, you posted just before I did. That's the question, who is making the call on Springs not starting? and what's up w/this injury statement?

It does worry me that the danny might be doing the things you mention, especially if he's going through other coaches. I don't see Gibbs sitting someone over a contract issue, but if that player started to act negatively & was a problem in practice, that's another issue. That may have been the case w/Lavar, as he's not one to bite his tongue, but w/Springs it doesn't sound right. He seems much more savvy w/regard to PR & business.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #54
RMSkins
The Starter

This is very simple really, Springs is way better than Smoot, and he needs to be starting period. The fact that Smoot beat out Springs is ludicrous, and I don't buy it for one second. If GW thinks we can return to top 10 form on defense with Smoot starting over Springs, then GW has lost his mind.
RMSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #55
MTK
\m/

I don't think this has anything to do with Snyder in the least bit. I just can't imagine Gibbs being comfortable with Snyder meddling, and I can't imagine Snyder stepping on Gibbs' toes like that.

Anytime there's a situation like this, I think we tend to over-analyze. It doesn't always have to be some sort of sinister conspiracy theory. Sometimes the most simple answer makes the most sense.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #56
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:

Degenerative knee or not, Lavar played great in 2005. Granted, thats the last time he's been relavant, but it certainly helped a ton in our playoff run.

Springs seems like an identical situation. He really needs to be out there. If 2007 is the last time Springs is relevant, so be it. We need him this year to boost a playoff run.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #57
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSkins View Post
This is very simple really, Springs is way better than Smoot, and he needs to be starting period. The fact that Smoot beat out Springs is ludicrous, and I don't buy it for one second. If GW thinks we can return to top 10 form on defense with Smoot starting over Springs, then GW has lost his mind.
I don't think for one second that Williams thinks Smoot is better than Springs. I do think he believes that he can replace Springs and still be successful. Heck, he sat the dude in the playoff game against TB, thinking he could completely shut down the Bucs O without him, and he ended up being right.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #58
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I don't think this has anything to do with Snyder in the least bit. I just can't imagine Gibbs being comfortable with Snyder meddling, and I can't imagine Snyder stepping on Gibbs' toes like that.

Anytime there's a situation like this, I think we tend to over-analyze. It doesn't always have to be some sort of sinister conspiracy theory. Sometimes the most simple answer makes the most sense.
Occam's razor baby!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #59
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:

I tend to agree with you here... However sometimes Ockhams razor lets the truth slip through.

Also, like someone pointed out earlier... Snyder bullied the hell out of Coles about his contract. Maybe there is more than meets the eye here. I definitely think there's room for some healthy speculation.

I'd certainly hope this isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #60
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Occam's razor baby!
damnit! beat me to it!

and you spelled it right