Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What if Fred started 16 games?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #46
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: What if Fred started 16 games?

He's more athletic, he has just as good of hands if not better, and he'll break more tackles. However, Cooley is still the consummate Redskin and he's shown some good moves as well. Cooley right now has a very large contract but with a new coach that might not matter nearly as much. 2TE sets should be very interesting and what's to say we shouldn't put one in the slot every now and then? Or even come out of the backfield? Both of those guys can probably do either and to throw that mix up to the D that we're facing could be to an advantage; I don't see it happening but I could see it working.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #47
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
from what 6 f-ing games get real, zorn was 6-2 at the begining of last year too you remember that? davis has better pontential? i'm not saying he doesn't have upside but i'm not gonna call him the tony g after 6 games take off your homer glasses and be realistic
So you think that Davis' breakout has been a fluke across 6 games? I'd like to call it given a chance. Same with Thomas showing up.. and I still think that Kelly can do the 3 receptions for 30-80yds a game.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #48
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins View Post
the question is, has davis stepped up or has campbell/sherm lewis finally dicided to start throwing the ball to the te more. why was marko mitchell the best thing since sliced pie during the pre-season, but hasn't done didlydo when given the chance to play during the regular season? answer.....because they actually threw the ball to him in pre-season. i think it's great that davis is showing us that he can be rilied upon to be a starting te but people come on, lets not get crazy. does anyone really think davis is a better te than a healthy chris cooley(not potentialy better) but better right know.
lol yeah.. they def brought the TE into the game, TE was NEVER involved until Davis came in, most certainly didn't have most catches or anything...
Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #49
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
So if FD started 16 games he would put up... Cooley numbers?

It's funny how quickly we cast guys aside.
I think that he could and that's not discounting Cooley.. just what we have to work with and the talents that Davis possesses. I'm impressed when Cooley breaks a tackle; I was there when he abused Carolina for his longest TD/reception ever. I also watched when FD went along the sideline and broke about 4 tackles too. Cooley though is my favorite player, I don't want to see him in another uniform, but if you decide that you can only operate with one very operational TE you obviously do have a choice on your hands, it's not cut and dry unless you're not watching imo
Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 AM   #50
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigm29 View Post
Just out of curiosity how many people would trade Cooley for a 2nd (hopefully a 1st) round pick this offseason?
1st I say you do it... 2nd you determine where the pick comes from

no matter what happens, no matter how much Davis shines, I'd be sad about Cooley not being on our team.. but it comes down to a lot more than favoritism in this league and the teams that are in it year and and year out show that
Old 12-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #51
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Because they are both expensive and the team has big holes elsewhere. Davis started 14 games? Cooley had 6TDs in a full season. Davis has 6 TDs, has only started a handful of games and still has 2 to go. I don't know why this is even a legit discussion. TEs are not THAT important, let alone 2 of them. Who was the Pats TE when they won 3?
i went back and edited it, but the first two stats were games played and games started.

and i'm pretty sure te's are pretty important, especially in a wco, i beleive thats why this is being discussed

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #52
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
So you think that Davis' breakout has been a fluke across 6 games? I'd like to call it given a chance. Same with Thomas showing up.. and I still think that Kelly can do the 3 receptions for 30-80yds a game.
i'm not saying it's a fluke but alot of people here are claiming he is the next tony gonzalez, and he might be but i wouldn't say that after a few games in a new system, shit last year it looked like every player on offense was a probowler at the begining of the season

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #53
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
i'm not saying it's a fluke but alot of people here are claiming he is the next tony gonzalez, and he might be but i wouldn't say that after a few games in a new system, shit last year it looked like every player on offense was a probowler at the begining of the season
He has the physical tools to be like Tony Gonzalez. Of course he is not polished or in an offense good enough to reach that level yet. Gonzalez may be the best pass catching tight end ever.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #54
maroonandblack30
Special Teams

Im a 47 and 86 fan...both are great TEs.... I do think we should trade Cooley for a pick or two, it just makes sense. No team is going to roll with two TE full time, thats just not realistic.

This conversation is another bi product of dumb ass Vinnie's stupidity. The skins didn't NEED Fred Davis!!!! Cooley is a top 10 TE, how many of us would love for the Davis pick to have been a RT?

That being said.....86 > 47 in my opinion.
maroonandblack30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #55
redsk1
The Starter

It surprises me that all of a sudden many think we should just trade CC. A guy that's proven, works hard, has a great attitude and has many attributes of a "true redskin." Fred Davis has overly impressed me this year and he's got a big time future too. I'm not ready to give up on CC and i too would be excited w/ both of them on the field.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #56
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Last year Cooley had 1 td, before his injury he wasn't exactly setting the nfl on fire.

I love Cooley but i think part of this team's problems is we have a few fan favorites and it gets in the way of how we run our team. I like Cooley, and only mention the trade if we can get great value.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #57
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
He's more athletic, he has just as good of hands if not better, and he'll break more tackles. However, Cooley is still the consummate Redskin and he's shown some good moves as well. Cooley right now has a very large contract but with a new coach that might not matter nearly as much. 2TE sets should be very interesting and what's to say we shouldn't put one in the slot every now and then? Or even come out of the backfield? Both of those guys can probably do either and to throw that mix up to the D that we're facing could be to an advantage; I don't see it happening but I could see it working.

Doesn't Fred line up in the slot now?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #58
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
Last year Cooley had 1 td, before his injury he wasn't exactly setting the nfl on fire.

I love Cooley but i think part of this team's problems is we have a few fan favorites and it gets in the way of how we run our team. I like Cooley, and only mention the trade if we can get great value.
His 1 TD last year was a bit of a fluke, prior to last year he was averaging nearly 7 per year.

And prior to his injury this year he had 29 catches in 6 starts. That's nearly 5 per game, or a pretty healthy 80 catch season pace.

Hey I'm all for looking into trade options too, I just think it's funny how all of a sudden Davis is everyone's hero and Cooley is on the back burner when really, there is no drastic difference in their level of production.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #59
maroonandblack30
Special Teams

Quote:

Has nothing to do with casting guys aside....its just good business.... if you can get value for 47 you take the picks. Better to have 1 great TE and one or two other potential starters, than 2 great TEs. Take the emotion of losing a fan favorite out of it and its a no brainer.
maroonandblack30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #60
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
His 1 TD last year was a bit of a fluke, prior to last year he was averaging nearly 7 per year.

And prior to his injury this year he had 29 catches in 6 starts. That's nearly 5 per game, or a pretty healthy 80 catch season pace.

Hey I'm all for looking into trade options too, I just think it's funny how all of a sudden Davis is everyone's hero and Cooley is on the back burner when really, there is no drastic difference in their level of production.
one would think cooley would garner us more compensation in a trade. his contract is huge; whereas davis is cheap. Cooley has peaked, whereas Davis has tons more upside.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote