Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Giants)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #46
calia
Playmaker

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Giants)

I actually hung in and saw the whole game as I couldn't believe that there wouldn't be at least a drive in which we showed a little fight. I give credit to Fred Davis who really hustled for extra yards (and got 1st downs -- most of the few we made -- and a TD as a result), to Haynesworth for trying to protect a teammate, and to Fletcherfor constant hustle. No one really came to play, and it was really disheartening. Zorn looked completely lost and befuddled. JC looked like he'd just survived Bastogne (did you see how glassy-eyed he was at the end of the game?. Our O-line functioned like matadors last night, and it was painful to watch.

This may be the worst overall effort I have seen by our team since I became a fan in 1973.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #47
Zorn on the 4th of July
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
All of the above. I don't know what to think about Jason coming back in. On one hand, no one can possibly say he's not a leader now. On the other, he definitely hurt his stock around the league in doing so. Or at least, I think he did.
Actually, I'm going to go ahead and say that he's not a leader.

I said it during the MNF thread, but I see a lot of parallels between his attitude and Chris Leak's attitude at UF before Urban Meyer showed up. Chris Leak was a quiet guy who chose to lead by example. He never complained, never got in anybody's face, and was content to play as hard as he could and do everything he could to help the team win.

For Urban Meyer (and the Gators' winning percentage), this wasn't enough.

Meyer immediately came in and challenged Leak's passion and willingness to be a vocal leader. As a leader, it's not enough to go out, play your hardest, and hope for the best. You have to go out, play your hardest, and make sure everybody around you plays their best, too. It took about a season for Chris Leak to come around, but when he did, we won a National Championship.

I don't expect Jason Campbell to get fired up for the two remaining games (no sense in confronting your teammates when the season is over and the main priority is, in all honesty, keeping everybody healthy).

So I say keep Jason Campbell. There's absolutely no reason why he can't become the complete-package leader this team desperately needs. We have a lot of "skill" issues that need to be addressed in the offseason, but keep in mind this team exposed and almost beat the Saints. It's the NFL, and everybody on this roster is in the top 1% of football players in this country.

So who is the leader? On offense, on defense, on special teams. Nobody.

There is NO player leadership on this team, and I don't see much coming from the coaching staff. This team, no matter if they are acquiring free agents or drafting players, has historically ignored the leadership/psychological aspect of this game. They insert players that are intended to address specific issues instead of inserting players who make the other 10 guys on the field play better. So as the other 10 players fail, we scream at Vinny Cerrato and Daniel Snyder, or we yell at a wide receiver spinning the ball during a 2-minute drill. This is bad veteran leadership and bad coaching.

The coaching will be addressed, but what about the players? Sometimes somebody needs to grab these guys by the facemask, and it can't always be a coach. Again, I just want everybody to make it to the end of the season unhurt. It would be a shame for somebody to get seriously hurt in a complete waste and a debacle of a season.

And Jason Campbell doesn't have to jump around and yell and grab people by the facemask. He DOES have to immediately be talking to them after they fail to chip a blitzer, or they run a go pattern when they should have run a crossing pattern. Campbell is a capable quarterback and a great human being, but he is not (yet) a leader. Not even close.
Zorn on the 4th of July is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #48
vallin21
The Starter

I felt if we had showed up BA might keep some of the staff, but screw them, and to bring a lathargic act of football to National TV is pathetic. Allen has a helluave lot of work to bring this team back to being respectable.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #49
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorn on the 4th of July View Post

I said it during the MNF thread, but I see a lot of parallels between his attitude and Chris Leak's attitude at UF before Urban Meyer showed up. Chris Leak was a quiet guy who chose to lead by example. He never complained, never got in anybody's face, and was content to play as hard as he could and do everything he could to help the team win.

Meyer immediately came in and challenged Leak's passion and willingness to be a vocal leader. As a leader, it's not enough to go out, play your hardest, and hope for the best. You have to go out, play your hardest, and make sure everybody around you plays their best, too. It took about a season for Chris Leak to come around, but when he did, we won a National Championship.

I don't expect Jason Campbell to get fired up for the two remaining games (no sense in confronting your teammates when the season is over and the main priority is, in all honesty, keeping everybody healthy).

So I say keep Jason Campbell. There's absolutely no reason why he can't become the complete-package leader this team desperately needs. We have a lot of "skill" issues that need to be addressed in the offseason, but keep in mind this team exposed and almost beat the Saints. It's the NFL, and everybody on this roster is in the top 1% of football players in this country.

There is NO player leadership on this team, and I don't see much coming from the coaching staff. This team, no matter if they are acquiring free agents or drafting players, has historically ignored the leadership/psychological aspect of this game. They insert players that are intended to address specific issues instead of inserting players who make the other 10 guys on the field play better. So as the other 10 players fail, we scream at Vinny Cerrato and Daniel Snyder, or we yell at a wide receiver spinning the ball during a 2-minute drill. This is bad veteran leadership and bad coaching.

The coaching will be addressed, but what about the players? Sometimes somebody needs to grab these guys by the facemask, and it can't always be a coach. Again, I just want everybody to make it to the end of the season unhurt. It would be a shame for somebody to get seriously hurt in a complete waste and a debacle of a season.

And Jason Campbell doesn't have to jump around and yell and grab people by the facemask. He DOES have to immediately be talking to them after they fail to chip a blitzer, or they run a go pattern when they should have run a crossing pattern. Campbell is a capable quarterback and a great human being, but he is not (yet) a leader. Not even close.
Kinda hard being the leader when the ownership clearly doesn't want you there.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #50
Defensewins
Playmaker

It is better this way. THis way we do not get a false sense of improved play and the SKins can be assured a higher draft pick.
The one thing that cemented it for me and proves the players on this team except for maybe Haynesworth have losers mentality: when losing by three or more TD's, Santana Moss made a first down completion and spun the ball and started celebrating. Santana Moss YOU ARE AN IDIOT! You do not celebrate when losing that bad. Besides not having the talent, these players do not know what it means to be a winner.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #51
davy
Impact Rookie

I think the biggest problem was the coaching.

As SS said in his first post, we were badly outcoached on both sides of the ball early in the game. Their gameplan, playcalling and execution was perfect while we didn't seem to have a clue what we were doing.

Looking back, the first game with the Giants was very similar. The only reason the score on that occasion didn't reflect their overwhelming superiority was because of them not finishing their drives as well as they did last night.

Obviously when you get a team with nothing to play for down early against a team with everything to play for it's likely to get ugly.

I'm hopeful we can bounce back next week and show some of the spirit that we have in the previous few games.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #52
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorn on the 4th of July View Post

Very very well stated. JC is a tough player with some quality skills, but he has shown very little leadership. Like to see him here next year, still a chance he gain it with a coach who has full confidence in him.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #53
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Finally, let's tip our hats to the Giants who came in and played like a team with a purpose. We were overmatched in every phase of the game.
i will tip my hat to most but brandon jacbos is a first class douche bag

We took the stadium over," Brandon Jacobs said. "You know, that's what we do every year here. We come to D.C., half of the stadium is Giants fans.

D.C. Sports Bog - Jacobs: "We took the stadium over"

I didn't throw a punch," Jacobs said, when asked point-blank whether he did. "I got jumped. I got jumped by two guys. I tried to get out of there, but one had me and one was hitting me. But it is what it is. I guess those guys [are teammates], and they worked together."

D.C. Sports Bog - Jacobs: "I'm not scared of anybody"

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #54
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
I think the biggest problem was the coaching.

As SS said in his first post, we were badly outcoached on both sides of the ball early in the game. Their gameplan, playcalling and execution was perfect while we didn't seem to have a clue what we were doing.

Looking back, the first game with the Giants was very similar. The only reason the score on that occasion didn't reflect their overwhelming superiority was because of them not finishing their drives as well as they did last night.

Obviously when you get a team with nothing to play for down early against a team with everything to play for it's likely to get ugly.

I'm hopeful we can bounce back next week and show some of the spirit that we have in the previous few games.
It's just pathetic how this coaching staff can't adjust to game situations. In offense, the coaching staff for some reason thought the line would hold, and it didn't...on defense, they kept getting burned by screen passes, yet kept blitzing like crazy.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #55
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Yeah, he looked scared tonight, but he actually hasn't played that way in the last several weeks. I don't know if it was the Giants, or primetime, or the fact that the rest of the team mailed it in, but he definitely didn't have it last night... And because of that, gave all the haters an excuse to come out of the woodwork.
Well if you're going to play scared against a division opponent on national tv in primetime...then you're going to rightfully get hated on.

I agree though he hadn't played that way in recent weeks. Still, it's a lot different playing at Oakland
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #56
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Two things:

1) Why weren't the Refs not calling all the holding calls? I'm not trying to make excuses for the defense. We had major issues last night, but on almost every play the Giants RG #76 was holding. I also thought I saw Carter being held most of the evening. It doesn't explain why the offense sucked.

2) Sorry to say I didn't see the second half of the game. I figured if the team was not going to show up then I didn't need to either. Bring on Dallas.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #57
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
In my opinion, every player should be on the list except for Albert Haynesworth. I was opposed to signing Haynesworth and still think he's not worth the investment. That said, tonight he played well and I liked the fire he showed. I usually blast players for drawing flags, but I make a special exception for players who draw flags while defending teammates. Haynesworth has been flagged twice for defending Hall. He's got that nasty attitude and shows loyalty to his teammates. I love it.
Haynesworth defends his teammates and that's all he's worth. The guy can't play two plays in a row w/out coming out of the game. Pathetic. He's useless.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #58
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well if you're going to play scared against a division opponent on national tv in primetime...then you're going to rightfully get hated on.

I agree though he hadn't played that way in recent weeks. Still, it's a lot different playing at Oakland
I agree. When is the last time JC has stepped up in a primetime, "big" game? This wasn't even a big game. He looked scared from the beginning. The line was horrible. The coaching didn't help. It was just a horrible, embarrassing night. Alot that happened last night wasn't JC's fault. He didn't play well though and looked shell-shocked out there.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #59
redsk1
The Starter

My Smackdown:

Moss: stop acting like a jack ass- i'm adding you to my I'm so done w/ list
Refs: call a fair game
The entire Skins coaching staff: You were outcoached by a wide margin last night
Danny Smith: Holy shittyness
Brandon Jacobs: You may now be on my most hated list
London Fletcher: Thanks for you effort last night, at least one player was playing
Orakpo: We all knew, but your coverage needs alot of work
Landry: Add safety to our list of needs- This saddens me, but you can't tackle or cover
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #60
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
. Danny Smith too, yeah he called a couple fakes this year, f8ck him.
Pretty sure Smith isn't making the decision to fake it.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote