Holmgren Agrees to Take Over Browns

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #46
FRPLG
MVP

re: Holmgren Agrees to Take Over Browns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Yeah, all of those. But Oakland is a team I haven't heard mentioned and Campbell is a prototype Al Davis QB.

In the end though, I really think Campbell will be in burgundy and gold next season. I'll bet he plays his ass off these next three games.
You mean his guts out.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #47
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
You mean his guts out.
lol exactly.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #48
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Well apparently you choose to excuse him for the past 10 years since he was not in complete control for some of them. I do not. Explain how he is the only employee in a key position that gets to stay through one failed regime to the next? And as for his draft picks...how did he use them to address the OL? Fred Davis may look pretty good now but why not an OL with that pick when we already had Cooley? Or why not a OL with the Malcom Kelly pick? We can look at individual picks all we want but he does not know how to construct a complete team. Why is it that we are finding OL on the street after the season is already down the tubes that are better then the backups we had in training camp? He claimed we did not need a good backup for Samuels because you can't replace a pro bowler. Every time I hear him open his mouth I am embarresed as a Redskins fan.
Why don't you go to NFL.com's draft page and see what offensive tackles were available when we selected Fred Davis iand Malcom Kelly in the 2nd round. You'll have to look pretty far down to find the next one drafted.

And this year - would you have rather had Michael Oher than Brian Orakpo?

You say he doesnt know how to construct a team, but you havent even seen him finish. Gibbs drove this team into the grond and filled it up with a bunch of over-the-hill veterans. Its ridiculous to assume all the needs we were left with could be filled in just two offseasons. My guess is the strategy all along was to draft receivers in his first year, since they take a couple years to develop; then address the defensive line in 2009 and the offensive line in 2010. That way, by year 3, you have a mostly complete team.

It seems some people only want to complain. If we had drafted 3 OL in the 2nd round of 2008, which 3 would they be? How would they be playing now? Would it even have mattered if Campbell's primary targets were still Santana Moss, Randel El, and Todd Yoder? You can't freaking have everything all at once. Rebuilding an team takes time. You can't pass judgement on a GM after only 2 years when you look at what he was given to work with at the start. And you'd be foolish to say its been a failure when the actual results indicate otherwise.

As to blaming Cerrato for the past 10 years... you can think that if you want, but you have no evidence to support it. Arguing Cerrato is responsible is like claiming extraterrestrial life exists. You can't prove it either way. I'd say its just as likely he kept his job, and earned a promotiion when Gibbs left, because he was doing a great job. For all we know, Cerrato recommended all sorts of moves that Gibbs and Snyder had ignored, that in hindsight, Snyder realizes he should have adhered to. That explaination is just as likely as claiming he was responsible for the bad moves we made. We don't know what went on behind closed doors back then. We only knew who was ultimately responsible and its NEVER been Cerrato.

Bottom Line - It is blatantly obvious that our past two offseasons have been the best (in terms of player acquisiton) that this team has had under Snyder's ownership. And you want to fire the guy responsible? Without having any clue what his replacement would be? Gimme a break.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #49
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

You know what might be interesting is if Holmgren takes the Cleveland job then the Seattle opportunity is still there so....enter Mike Shanahan? West coast team, hands-off owner, potential top 10 pick
Old 12-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #50
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
It would be interesting to see if Holmgren gets hired by the browns would he bring Jim Zorn in as his head coach.
And would there be a trade, JC for Brady Quinn?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #51
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You know what might be interesting is if Holmgren takes the Cleveland job then the Seattle opportunity is still there so....enter Mike Shanahan? West coast team, hands-off owner, potential top 10 pick
That's a compelling argument but I cant imagine Shanahan wanting to go to Seattle. Seems like it would be a "step down" to me. Besides, i'd really be surprised if Mora is fired after only one year. Yeah, the seahawks stink, but its not like he inherited a team that had must talent.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #52
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
And would there be a trade, JC for Brady Quinn?
I see us franchising JC and then looking to trade him ala Matt Castle. Maybe for Quinn who knows.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #53
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

One year from now, I think Campbell will be with the Cowher-coached Carolina Panthers, having already secured a playoff berth and fighting for a first-round bye.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #54
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Thread bump, looks like Holmgren is the new guy in charge in Cleveland...

Mike Holmgren agrees to deal as Cleveland Browns president - ESPN

Can someone update the title? Thanks.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #55
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Dang. Now there's an intelligent call from left field.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #56
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
I've been thinking for a while he'll be in Cleveland. But it could just be leverage against Seattle. I think Holmgren is a bit surprised he wasn't just welcomed back with open arms in Seattle
Not being welcomed back with open arms and not offered the GM spot. They offered him the president spot. I think he thought he would be a shoe in for the GM spot.

The Browns were looking for a GM. So I'm sure the talks will heat up since he rebuffed Seattle.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #57
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Not being welcomed back with open arms and not offered the GM spot. They offered him the president spot. I think he thought he would be a shoe in for the GM spot.

The Browns were looking for a GM. So I'm sure the talks will heat up since he rebuffed Seattle.
Holmgren has signed with Cleveland already.

R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #58
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Holmgren has signed with Cleveland already.

Ta Da. I'm a genius. Now for all you fans who play lotto the numbers tomorrow night will be .......

There you go. It's code encrypted so only a few of you will be able to get it basically ensuring more money to the winners.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #59
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Anyone see Zorn in Orange and Brown next season?