Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Post Indy Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Post Indy Game Thoughts

It really is hard to gauge how well our guys played due to the lack of talent they were playing against. The Colts were a #1 draft pick team for a reason and much of the talent that was on it has vacated this off-season. Their defense is atrocious and hasn't been able to stop the run in over a decade.

I would prefer to measure their play on the Buffalo and Chicago games as compared to this. I would like to see RGIII connect on a few long passes though.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Evilgrin
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
It really is hard to gauge how well our guys played due to the lack of talent they were playing against. The Colts were a #1 draft pick team for a reason and much of the talent that was on it has vacated this off-season. Their defense is atrocious and hasn't been able to stop the run in over a decade.

I would prefer to measure their play on the Buffalo and Chicago games as compared to this. I would like to see RGIII connect on a few long passes though.
I agree the colts are really really bad, Luck is gonna need some.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Yeah, if the Chicago game's any indication: Our OL and secondary is gonna be eaten alive at times, and it's going to be another long season for us. Here's hoping for better, when real games are played.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

After a game from Hankerson like we saw last night, it should cause second thoughts about him starting and to look naturally at Josh Morgan at his spot. Morgan has been very solid catching the ball, but I think you still start Hankerson. Hank could be on the verge, he still isnt playing "as fast" as I think he can.

Starting WRs should be Garcon and Hank, Moss in the slot. I think 3rd down packages for Morgan should get him reps, I like redzone packages for Brescoe who made the team last night. Brescoe has been a standout.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
After a game from Hankerson like we saw last night, it should cause second thoughts about him starting and to look naturally at Josh Morgan at his spot. Morgan has been very solid catching the ball, but I think you still start Hankerson. Hank could be on the verge, he still isnt playing "as fast" as I think he can.

Starting WRs should be Garcon and Hank, Moss in the slot. I think 3rd down packages for Morgan should get him reps, I like redzone packages for Brescoe who made the team last night. Brescoe has been a standout.
It all evens out by the end of the year. If Hank isn't getting targets/catches, Morgan will.

Also, RG3 hasn't really been throwing the ball like he will in the regular season. His numbers will double and so will his receivers.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

It was nice to see Fred Davis out there getting involved last night. He's been quiet so far, good to see him and RG3 come together on plays.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Evilgrin
The Starter

Offense is still only running specific plays, very limited, unlike the colts.

Tankard Jackson gets to the ball, pretty nice to see. Are his personal issues over? Secondary has two solid players, everyone else is bad.

The rookie OL guys look like rookies. The OL is one injury away from being Cowboys/Jets bad.

Tough decisions at receiver, what do they do with Briscoe? Hankseron probably get yelled at after game. Do we have good receivers or just a lot of 2s and 3s?

I think they are better then last year, IMO one or two more wins.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Defensewins
Playmaker

LB group continues to show they are good and deep.

WR group is starting to make some noise. Although I agree with the earlier comment that Hankerson is being pushed for his starting position. Not sure Hankerson has earned his starting spot by his play on the game field, more like it was given to him. Josh Morgan and Briscoe are intriguing and they are producing. Garcon needs a legitimate threat on the other side and Hankerson has shown very little.

M.Williams days as our starting FS might be numbered. Luck targeted him as the weak link the entire time Madieu was in the game. Immediately after Luck's 31 yard TD Madieu was removed; T. Jackson slid over to FS from SS and Gomes came in at SS. That line up looked and played more solid. It is a matter of time and the health of T. Jackson before he is our FS. He showed skill yesterday on the field.
I have been critical of Josh Wilson in the past, but yesterday he played a really sound game. Not just his coverage skills, which were good, but his run support and tackling were great. He is a smart player and understands how to take correct angles when tackling. Teams will still try and exploit his lack of height.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
los panda
Pro Bowl

impressed w morris, jackson, and briscoe

still want to see more from our secondary, and a lot more from our o-line
Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
rypper11
The Starter

Hopefully beating up on a really bad team gives the team some confidence going into the season but there hasn't been game planning yet or defenses gearing to take away specific offensive plays. IMO a lot this season depends on offensive playcalling. Yes Rex forced a lot last season but the playcalling was abysmal. The one thing preseason can't tell us is if Kyle will remain patient in the calls.
Griffin can make all the throws. Morris is improving drastically in blitz pick up and could be a great contributor if not starter. IMO Garcon, Moss, Cooley and Davis will alternately have big games this season but I doubt there'll be a 1000 yd receiver on the team. Hankerson and Paul drop too many and Briscoe is still raw on his routes for any to top 100 yd games.
Defensively the front seven looks great and I wouldn't be surprised if a LB cut doesn't wind up on someone elses roster before the season starts. Dropped ints are a big concern for me. We need to some short fields this year.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
JoLo
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
IMO Garcon, Moss, Cooley and Davis will alternately have big games this season but I doubt there'll be a 1000 yd receiver on the team.
Oh see i think your so wrong there. It looks like Garcon and RG3 have some real chemistry. If both players play all 16 games i see garcon going for over 80 catches and over 1100 yards. Because they connect a lot and Garcon can easily average over 14 yards a catch with his RAC ability.
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
los panda
Pro Bowl

griffin iii to garcon is going to be very prolific
Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
ethat001
Impact Rookie

First, it was good to have a good win after the Bears killed us last week with the pass rush. I'm not as negative as GTripp seems to be, but I agree in principle -- in that we should all temper our expectations for this year -- but look forward to success for the next decade.

1) O-LINE: They did well this game. But the Colts pass rush is not as good as the Bears. And not as good as Dallas, Giants, and Eagles. At this point, RG3 is like every other QB on the planet -- he will struggle if the O-line struggles. He's dynamic and can run, but cannot evade multiple D-linemen coming in unprotected. I'm hoping they gel quickly, as they all have been injured & have not played together as a unit much. Hoping to upgrade here long-term if our youth doesn't develop quickly. Our cap hit killed us here and the secondary.

2) QB - RG3 has been good, and still developing. I loved seeing him take off running -- but pull up to deliver a crisp pass. Much rather see that than have him run & take the hits. The long ball should come with time & practice w our receivers. Rex is still a great QB most of the time -- that kills you with turnovers in key situations -- but doesn't deserve to be boo'ed. Was at the game & I was disappointed in our fans.

3) WR/TE - The deep balls were overthrown, but the bigger issue is the WR's did not have much separation. Briscoe seems like a keeper. Banks may be out. Hank dropped pass. Moss seems too old to be running back punts, I'm scared for him and beginning to think he has some injury clause in his contract. Why else does a 33yr old volunteer for punts? Glad to see Davis finally caught a pass - I'm not sure why we're not using Davis but can only assume we're testing the new guys & he will break out during the season. Watching Cooley catch that 5 yard pass and fall down -- was nostalgic but made me think about his $6 million contract.

3) SECONDARY - Still a concern, still making changes. Hopefully someone steps up. As we face the Brees, Mannings, Romos, Vicks of the world -- we're going to need our 3rd and 4th string CBs and safeties to be much better with all of the multi-receiver offenses. Even the Colts were moving the ball on us, and Luck was on pace for a ~300 yd passing game. Will be a long season.

4) MORRIS - Welcome to the roster. True to form, any Shanahan RB seems to do well with the zone blocking. Good game, but at this point they're interchangeable.

Will say that Fletcher makes our defense better, glad he's back & healthy.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie

My favorite free agent pick up other than garcon and morgan is Tanard Jackson he showed a little of what he can do last night, I think he brings some ball hawking skills that we havent had back there since Sean, he will create turnovers, I jut hope merriweather can have a good year as well which I think he can. My bigger concern is the o-line, although they played good last night.
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
GusFrerotte

I can't see why we couldn't go 8-8 or even above .500. Everyone is sharp on both sides of the ball pretty much. Do you guys think we try to trade Hightower? Can we trade Hightower? I like AH, but I don't think we can have 4 RBs as we lack depth in other areas.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote