Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Cop Punches Student

Debating with the enemy

Old 06-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #46
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Cop Punches Student

Others have also pointed out that the cop was after the person for J Walking. It was at a school and they could have issues with kids crossing the street every where so they want them to all cross at the cross walks with guard. There is a school around here where this was a big issues and after the problem got so bad cops started handing out tickets. It could very well be a traffic and safety issue.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #47
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

The cop should move out to Maryland, where then he could have arrested everyone with cell phone cameras too:

Baltimore Crime Beat: Another arrest for recording police - Baltimore, Maryland crime news, blogs and video - baltimoresun.com

read the comments as well.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #48
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The cop should move out to Maryland, where then he could have arrested everyone with cell phone cameras too:

Baltimore Crime Beat: Another arrest for recording police - Baltimore, Maryland crime news, blogs and video - baltimoresun.com

read the comments as well.
Dude that happened in St. Mary's County that is the farthest place from Baltimore in the State of Maryland.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #49
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

the one incident yes, but (from the same article):
Quote:
Peter Hermann has written extensively on this topic, which has been embraced by the Maryland ACLU, which is representing a Harford County man charged by Maryand State Police with recording a traffic stop and posting it on YouTube . Later, during the Preakness, a Baltimore police officer was captured on video warning a bystander to turn off his camera while recording the arrest of a disorderly woman. That man was not arrest, nor was his equipment seized.
I said come to Maryland, as it is the State which says that citizens do not have the right to record police arrests, on the basis they are supposedly not public events.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #50
KLHJ2
Inactive

I don't think that you should be able to record police because there are many times that "the public" will not like what they see. Remember that a cop is not going to start harrassing you for no reason. This is not the 1960's. Attitudes about cops have to change. Several times when somebody records a police incident the whole thing is taken out of context, blown out of proportion, and the police officers end up with a bad wrap.

In the video where the Police officer in an unmarked vehicle pulls over the motorcyclist the paint a picture that makes you believe that the cyclist didn't know that he was a cop or what was going on. In reality there was a marked car with lights on behind the cyclist who was trying to get him to pull over. Because the cyclist didn't pull over the officer in the unmarked car went to assist by pulling in front of him. He knew that he wasn't getting robbed. The officer drew his weapon but never pointed it at him. The officer also identified himself as if the flashing lights behind him weren't enough.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I think the police need to behave appropriately, and that they need to realize that they are above the law. The traffic stop is a perfect example. Nowhere do I consent to the video taping of a traffic stop - not even on my license, like I do in terms of sobriety testing. So until the law changes, either they can record me without my permission thus allowing me to record them without permission, or we both need to follow the same law and they cannot record me without permission also.
There have been too many documented abuses through cell phones to think that we would be a better society by banning their use.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #52
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
What a fail by that cop. Punches one woman in the face, then after more than two minutes when the video ends he still has yet to restrain that woman who's significatly smaller than him. Wus.
thats the part im stuck on as well. a cop with proper training should have been able to control her and get her hands behind her back fairly easily.

i just dont understand why he was grabbing her wrists for a minute. give her clear commands, if she doesnt oblige, use your training to restrain her.

his technic was odd and i assume not within his training. these guys get training for a reason.

PS - if you get pulled over in baltimore city, the police officer gives you a piece of paper stating your pullover was not based on racial pretenses and profiling and that you were not physically or unconstitutionally abused. im pretty sure i had to sign the paper while the cop was there. it was odd, it was like i was giving the police officer a report card.

either way, it was strange to sign off that i did not believe my pull over was racially motivated.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #53
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
thats the part im stuck on as well. a cop with proper training should have been able to control her and get her hands behind her back fairly easily.

i just dont understand why he was grabbing her wrists for a minute. give her clear commands, if she doesnt oblige, use your training to restrain her.

his technic was odd and i assume not within his training. these guys get training for a reason.

PS - if you get pulled over in baltimore city, the police officer gives you a piece of paper stating your pullover was not based on racial pretenses and profiling and that you were not physically or unconstitutionally abused. im pretty sure i had to sign the paper while the cop was there. it was odd, it was like i was giving the police officer a report card.

either way, it was strange to sign off that i did not believe my pull over was racially motivated.

I have been pulled over in B-more never got that...out of curiosity are you black? I am white for the record. Iam just wondering if they only give that to minorities.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #54
over the mountain
Playmaker

this was august last year. the only time i have been puled over in the city. so i can only go by my own one time experience. i asked the PO what it was and he explained it.

im white. this was right around the inner harbor so its city police, aug '09. standard pre-printed form. the PO made it seem like it was protocall.

it was odd but it makes sense. i should probably still have it in my car. i think there was a blank space for him to write what the pull over was for, etc. as a criminal atty, the PC for why someone was pulled over is the gate to whether evidence found subsequently is admissible. but i dont think the goal of this form was to help establish PC but to deter people from claiming harrasment or racism later on after they are pulled over.

edit - did some googleing, it appears baltimore city was taking part in a racial profiling study to collect data for traffic stops for racial profiling analysis.