Suisham released, Gano new kicker

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Suisham released, Gano new kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Suisham promised to do a chat with us two years ago...and then we never heard from him again...so F him
HAHA.. maybe he'll catch on elsewhere, some kickers have taken longer I guess
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You miss an easy field goal you should be cut.
By that standard, every kicker in the league should be cut. I wanted to beat Suisham with a 2x4 on Sunday, but he was kicked the ball through the uprights on 85% of his field goal attempts. He missed two big attempts, but this move strikes me as a knee-jerk reaction based more on emotion than reason. I think we will regret releasing Suisham.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
By that standard, every kicker in the league should be cut. I wanted to beat Suisham with a 2x4 on Sunday, but he was kicked the ball through the uprights on 85% of his field goal attempts. He missed two big attempts, but this move strikes me as a knee-jerk reaction based more on emotion than reason. I think we will regret releasing Suisham.
I've compromised enough with respect to Suisham abilities the past few season. I have been resigned to the fact that he can't kick anything beyond 40 yards consistently but I can't excuse this miss, especially since it was from 23 yards, the game was on the line and there was no muffed snap/hold. My standards are already low when it comes to the Skins' kicking game and I shan't lower it any further. Is the move reactionary? Sure, but at this point there is no reason to wait.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
18 for 21...85.5% nuff said.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
18 for 21...85.5% nuff said.
not really, you have to look at the distance and game situation

if he was 18 for 21 and his missed were all over 35yds thats one thing, but thats not the case.

one was in a dome to put the game away should been made, the other basically a pat again to put the game away

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
not really, you have to look at the distance and game situation

if he was 18 for 21 and his missed were all over 35yds thats one thing, but thats not the case.

one was in a dome to put the game away should been made, the other basically a pat again to put the game away
The best FG kickers ever have missed at critical times. I agree with SGG it was a kneejerk reaction to the miss on Sunday. That's the way we do things around here "kneejerk." It's not the frst time and it won't be the last.

The Giants are looking for a kicker maybe they'll sign him and he'll come back to haunt them. Suisham will get a job, so we don't need to feel sorry for him.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Just hope we address kicker in the offseason if this guy doesnt work out...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Suisham makes me think of Scott Norwood...we will always remember him for the kick that cost us the chance to beat the unbeaten saints....and possibly a playoff chance (if we were to somehow finish 8-8)

Good luck to him, though....
Old 12-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

love this move
Gives us time to evaluate a new kicker in an actual real game and not preseason.Plus if Hunter pulls another hammy we dont have to waste another roster spot on a punter.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
over the mountain
Playmaker

missing that field goal in dallas to make it a 2 possession game was costly. i dont really blame suisham for that b/c i thought it was out of his range to begin with but that, in and of itself, is an indictment against him.

the miss this sunday was just plain bad. add that to the week prior and i dont really see any reason to keep him onboard.

honestly, what are we going to miss? he cant make field goals over 50 yds and he misses the makeable kicks and the most inopportune times. plus he kicked the ball out of bounds at least twice this year and is inconsistent with his kickoffs after the first few games of every season.
go skins!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
missing that field goal in dallas to make it a 2 possession game was costly. i dont really blame suisham for that b/c i thought it was out of his range to begin with but that, in and of itself, is an indictment against him.

the miss this sunday was just plain bad. add that to the week prior and i dont really see any reason to keep him onboard.

honestly, what are we going to miss? he cant make field goals over 50 yds and he misses the makeable kicks and the most inopportune times. plus he kicked the ball out of bounds at least twice this year and is inconsistent with his kickoffs after the first few games of every season.
go skins!
He missed two in the Dallas game one like 39 yards and the other like 49. The announcers said he was nailing kick from 60 yards in warm up but I guess that did not roll over into the game. I think if he had made just one of the 3 hi missed he would still be a Skin.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
He missed two in the Dallas game one like 39 yards and the other like 49. The announcers said he was nailing kick from 60 yards in warm up but I guess that did not roll over into the game. I think if he had made just one of the 3 hi missed he would still be a Skin.
It would have to be the Saints kick then, missing a 22 yarder is inexcusable whether the game is on the line or not. He didn't just miss...it wasn't even close.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #13
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
50 in a dome isn't too much to ask for.. 39 definitely wasn't
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
redsk1
The Starter

Had to be done. Suisham is a good guy, seemingly, so you do feel bad for him, but it's the reality of being a kicker in the nfl. You miss easy kicks that costs teams games than you don't have a job. He knows this more than any of us.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Monkeydad
Living Legend

12 weeks too late, but it still makes me happy.