Other Sports

Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #46
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Re: MLB 2012 (random postings/events)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Man, how about Josh Hamilton yesterday? 4 HRs and a double. Crazy
Yeah, all two run shots, Elvis Andrus being on first base for every homerun.

Advertisements
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #47
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
this is awesome:

Welcome to MLB's newest rivalry, the Nationals and Phillies, sparked by Cole Hamels, stoked by Mike Rizzo and Jayson Werth. [Werth] underwent surgery on his broken left wrist Monday at the Mayo Clinic. He will begin strengthening exercises within six weeks, the Nationals announced. ... In an e-mail to the Post, Werth said Phillies fans in right field at Nationals Park taunted him as he walked off the field Sunday night. And he will remember them during his rehab. "After walking off the field feeling nauseous knowing my wrist was broke and hearing Philly fans yelling 'You deserve it,' and, 'That's what you get,' I am motivated to get back quickly and see to it personally those people never walk down Broad Street in celebration again," Werth wrote.
That's definitely true, from where I was sitting in section 132 we all heard them cheering and chanting insults when he went down. Philly fans always staying classy no matter the sport. Even when he was walking off the field they were still cheering.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #48
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
That's definitely true, from where I was sitting in section 132 we all heard them cheering and chanting insults when he went down. Philly fans always staying classy no matter the sport. Even when he was walking off the field they were still cheering.
and the Flyers went down last night, HOORAY!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #49
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
and the Flyers went down last night, HOORAY!
Yeah at least there's that. Hopefully the 76ers will get knocked out and the Phillies continue their run of averageness, I can't stand Philly with a passion.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #50
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Yeah at least there's that. Hopefully the 76ers will get knocked out and the Phillies continue their run of averageness, I can't stand Philly with a passion.
The Sixers are going no where fast; they are alive due to a Rose ACL tear.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #51
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
The Sixers are going no where fast; they are alive due to a Rose ACL tear.
Yeah I'm aware, but even if they advance, I don't expect them to get past a team like the Heat.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #52
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

MLB fires Shyam Das, arbitrator from Milwaukee Brewers' Ryan Braun case - ESPN

So because he didn't rule in MLB's favor, he loses his job?...lol Why even have a arbitrator then?

Side note: I no doubt believe Braun used PEDs, and luckily avoided a suspension.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #53
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Brett Lawrie receives four-game suspension, fined for ‘aggressive actions’ toward umpire | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

Is that Ump going to be suspended as well for that sorry ass strike call? That was absolutely horrible...lol
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #54
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Lawrie only got 4 games? He got off lucky methinks. I was thinking 5, if not more.

The ump had already made up his mind that anything close was going to be called, and probably because he felt that Lawrie "showed" him up on the previous pitch, which was a horrible call in itself. The catcher didn't even frame it that well knowing it was high. The sheer fact the catcher had to rise slightly from his crouch is a good indication that it was high. I'm willing to bet that umpire won't get too many more Blue Jays games this year.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #55
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Stephen Strasburg and ‘Hot Stuff’ ointment are apparently not a very good mix | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

Yeesh. It sounds like even the great Stephen Strasburg isn't impervious to feeling the burn a little more than is usually preferable.

In a somewhat mysterious episode on Tuesday afternoon, Washington Nationals manager Davey Johnson told the team's beat writers that Strasburg's poor pitching performance was due in part to some "Hot Stuff" that "got to the wrong place."

How the tingling analgesic ointment reached somewhere it shouldn't — or exactly what area of sensitive skin it came in contact with — the 69-year-old skipper didn't know, or at least wouldn't say. But coupled with a damp day at Nationals Park, it apparently had a negative effect on Strasburg who gave up four runs in four labored innings of work during Washington's 6-1 loss to the San Diego Padres. It was the first loss of the year for the Nationals ace.
Quote:
From the Associated Press:

''It was on his shoulder and evidently — I don't know how it got to where it got, but it was uncomfortable, to say the least,'' Johnson said with a chuckle.

Asked about it, Strasburg said: '"I'm going to keep that in the clubhouse.'"
After Johnson's revelation hit the Internet — and, really, that's the sort of thing the skipper should be keeping from jackals like us — there was some speculation that it was the product of a teammate's prank and that the area in question involved, uh, Stephen's Strasburgs.

But as much as the blogosphere would have liked to learn that it was Bryce Harper who lined Strasburg's jock with Hot Stuff or that Strasburg was getting his Roger Clemens on, Washington Post reporter Adam Kilgore said no teammate looked guilty and that it was likely just an unfortunate transfer of ointment.

The sense in the Nationals' clubhouse was no one would have pulled a prank on Strasburg on the day he pitched — nobody would be that dumb. Baseball clubhouses are full of jocularity and pranks, but they don't take precedence over winning.

Players found it plausible that the ointment had found the wrong place by accident. Some pitchers will use the Hot Stuff to prepare for a start and get their blood flowing. It is possible the rain and wet conditions caused the ointment to move to the wrong part of Strasburg's body.

Having once seen a football teammate run off the field screaming in pain after Icy Hot somehow got in his eyes, I'm wondering if the above picture of a grimacing Strasburg reflects what really happened. After all, it's not much of a stretch to think that Strasburg could have wiped his shoulder and then his brow, only to realize his mistake when his sweat later brought the Hot Stuff down into his eyeballs.

Of course, there's another distinct possibility that involves an, uh, "adjustment" that ballplayers are particularly known for, but I don't think we need to get into the specifics on a fine family website like this one.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #56
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Michael Morse says Stephen Strasburg Hot Stuff incident didn’t happen - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post

The Stephen Strasburg Hot Stuff story has made the rounds today, even inspiring the Junkies to pull a Hot Stuff stunt of their own. But if you ask Michael Morse, Ointment-Gate never happened.

Morse went on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio today and told a story that might just throw a wet blanket on all of the fun.

“I asked Stephen today and he has no idea what’s going on. And he’s one of the hardest-working guys, he’s like a bulldog, especially on the mind. It’s, like, a big rumor or something that started. There’s all this talk that he had Icy Hot all over him or whatever. He had nothing. I think, um, I think Davey might have said some things that the media might have took the wrong way. You know, I think he was trying to make, like, you know, a joke or something and the media thought different of it.

“It was pouring rain in the first inning, so he should have said, maybe, his jersey got soaked or something. I don’t know, I think he said the wrong thing. I talked to Stras today and he’s kind of upset about the whole thing. I asked him, ‘Did you have Icy Hot or something?’ and he said no. I said ‘You didn’t have any on your arm? Maybe the rain washed it down or off?’ and he said no.”

When Davey Johnson said that “some Hot Stuff got misplaced” he never specifically said where it ended up. It’s possible that we, in our endless pursuit of childish stories, assumed that place was his nether regions.

It’s also possible that Strasburg is just embarrassed. After all, the story wasn’t just local. The New York Daily News, Miami Herald, Yahoo Sports and the Seattle Times were just some of the hundreds of outlets who picked up the story.

Mike Rizzo was on 106.7 The Fan this afternoon, and he vowed to get to the bottom of it.

“I’ll investigate, find out the information and get back to you next week. Ointment-Gate. I’ll check it out.”

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #57
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Would YOU admit it if you put Hot Stuff on your balls?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #58
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I believe Roger Clemens did it all the time.

Roger Clemens Bengay? | Pundit Review
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #59
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
If any of it was still on your hands and you went to take a piss, it easily gets passed. It could still be on your hands even if you wash them.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #60
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

You'd figure after last year's incident, the Dodgers are the last people you would expect to see another parking lot incident.

Four arrested after beating at Dodger Stadium - ESPN Los Angeles

This only gives grounds that they are in fact negligible when it comes to stadium/parking lot security.

Maybe that moron Magic Johnson needs to spend less time doing NBA coverage and more time trying to make the area safer for fans.