Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Transgendered Athletes in Professional Sports

Other Sports

Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #46
redskins5044
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I take Concerta, which is the 'adult' version of Adderall. When I go to the gym with/without it in my system, it is MUCH different. I can do significantly more with the Concerta in my system. There's more than just focus. It's an amphetamine. It speeds everything up to help you focus, which is somewhat unintuitive.
Yeah I can see that I haven't ever take either of them. Like I said my son takes it to focus and be attentive, so I guess I can see where it could help enhance performance.

Advertisements
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #47
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Re: Transgendered Athletes in Professional Sports

Well this is a two topic thing; so I'l'l start with the radio.

I'm p*ssed these guys got suspended. Czaban is out there, he says a TON of stuff that I listen too and I'm like yeesh probably right on the line there, but he's entertaining as hell. This is a sports talk radio show, its not an educational platform, these guys are paid to be entertaining and funny. I really don't understand how when they say something like this, that its treated as such an outrage but people makes jokes along these lines in the movies all the time. If you listen to the clip, outside of "It" which I agree is unacceptable, its very much a discussion. They apologized yesterday, end of story.

I'm just getting so sick of everyone's reaction every time something like this happens that people need to be fired and suspended. The fact they apologized is not enough, these equality groups want blood. I know both of these guys will be fine, but the general principle just infuriates me. Instead of it being a teaching moment, groups fly off the handle and blow the whole thing way out of proportion. People in general are not allowed to make mistakes anymore, without their heads/jobs being called for. This goes way beyond just this story. It was really only a matter of time before this happened with Czaban, but just in the grand scheme of things in society today.

My general thought on the actual "issue" is that this woman should not be playing, but I don't really have a way to back this up other than its an unfair competitive advantage. I've heard comments (not on here, but I've been following this story the last few days) of "well she wont be on the team forever", and the same can be said for all the people who are in that league who won't get a chance to play junior college basketball again and now are a part of this circus, which is what it has turned into.

As Czaban said on the show, every human is entitled to do what they have to do to feel good about themselves and live their life the way they want... but sports is different.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #48
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
Well this is a two topic thing; so I'l'l start with the radio.

I'm p*ssed these guys got suspended. Czaban is out there, he says a TON of stuff that I listen too and I'm like yeesh probably right on the line there, but he's entertaining as hell. This is a sports talk radio show, its not an educational platform, these guys are paid to be entertaining and funny. I really don't understand how when they say something like this, that its treated as such an outrage but people makes jokes along these lines in the movies all the time. If you listen to the clip, outside of "It" which I agree is unacceptable, its very much a discussion. They apologized yesterday, end of story.

I'm just getting so sick of everyone's reaction every time something like this happens that people need to be fired and suspended. The fact they apologized is not enough, these equality groups want blood. I know both of these guys will be fine, but the general principle just infuriates me. Instead of it being a teaching moment, groups fly off the handle and blow the whole thing way out of proportion. People in general are not allowed to make mistakes anymore, without their heads/jobs being called for. This goes way beyond just this story. It was really only a matter of time before this happened with Czaban, but just in the grand scheme of things in society today.

My general thought on the actual "issue" is that this woman should not be playing, but I don't really have a way to back this up other than its an unfair competitive advantage. I've heard comments (not on here, but I've been following this story the last few days) of "well she wont be on the team forever", and the same can be said for all the people who are in that league who won't get a chance to play junior college basketball again and now are a part of this circus, which is what it has turned into.

As Czaban said on the show, every human is entitled to do what they have to do to feel good about themselves and live their life the way they want... but sports is different.
Very pleased that the discussion has, for the most part, remained dignified.

Regarding your post, If i didnt loath Czabe with every fire of my being, i might feel differently, so i'm most certainly not biased. i understand where you're coming from in regards to the suspensions. i think your arguments about a radio host job being to create controversy and people being to sensitive are spot on.

That said, i think when you have a program on a "family friendly" sports radio show, you've got to be mindful of your audience. Everything that was said would be fine, if it were on a Limbaugh/Stern type show. People listening to those shows are generally not easily offended and tune in because they want to hear controversy. On the flipside, ESPN980 is a sports station with a broad audience. Its sponsors don't want controversy. Its listeners arent interested in tuning in for controversy. Czabe and Polin should have been more sensitive and mindful of their choice of words.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #49
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
My point was, where do we draw the line?

Once you can physically change a person where do you stop? Who decides?

If I could get my 40 time down to 3 seconds I'd opt for surgery tomorrow.
Pretty sure genetically engineering babies in-utero isn't too far away, I've heard talks of it.

We'll be living in Gattica in no time.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #50
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Very pleased that the discussion has, for the most part, remained dignified.

Regarding your post, If i didnt loath Czabe with every fire of my being, i might feel differently, so i'm most certainly not biased. i understand where you're coming from in regards to the suspensions. i think your arguments about a radio host job being to create controversy and people being to sensitive are spot on.

That said, i think when you have a program on a "family friendly" sports radio show, you've got to be mindful of your audience. Everything that was said would be fine, if it were on a Limbaugh/Stern type show. People listening to those shows are generally not easily offended and tune in because they want to hear controversy. On the flipside, ESPN980 is a sports station with a broad audience. Its sponsors don't want controversy. Its listeners arent interested in tuning in for controversy. Czabe and Polin should have been more sensitive and mindful of their choice of words.
Limbaugh/Stern...those are two shows that you group in the same light? Haha
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #51
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
My point was, where do we draw the line?

Once you can physically change a person where do you stop? Who decides?

If I could get my 40 time down to 3 seconds I'd opt for surgery tomorrow.
So you'd become a girl if you could run faster? If they do a good job it will also be easier for you to get laid. LMAO
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #52
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Dude, I'm Eurotrash, I'm an honorary chick already.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #53
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
As a Stern fan I'm offended to be lumped in with that blowhard.

I get his general point though.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #54
HailGreen28
Playmaker

If they're classified legally as a gender, that's what sport they're allowed to play, right?

But Daseal raises a good point about PED's. Aren't steroids and other PEDs about boosting a body's ability to regenerate/replenish? Wouldn't drugs to help make one "female" or "male" do the same kind of thing, regardless of which gender they want to be classified as?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #55
That Guy
Living Legend

if this were a scholarship or division 1 school, it'd be a bit different i guess, but ultimately it should be left to the individual program/competition to decide. a 50 year old on a community college team is a bit of "who cares" as far as that whole "competitive advantage" thing goes. couldn't the school just pay 20+k for a ringer if they just wanted to win at any cost? unless this guy/girl is micheal jordan i dont buy that arguement.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #56
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

(Post Removed By Moderator)
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #57
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
(Post Removed By Moderator)
I can only imagine what inflammatory hate was spewed here to get a post removed by a mod. Firstdown isn't even that bad.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #58
KLHJ2
Inactive

I am on board with playing with the cards you are dealt. If however that isn't good enough then create two more leagues (he-she's and she-he's). I don't know how much intrest they will garner, but people play sports for the love of sports right? Essentially we all just want a level playing field.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #59
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I can only imagine what inflammatory hate was spewed here to get a post removed by a mod. Firstdown isn't even that bad.
No no, I posted exactly that, Post was removed by moderator..just to stir the pot and see what reaction it would get...back to your topic, I'm staying off this board, because I'm not knowledgeable enough on this topic.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #60
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
No, i was actually saying that their comments would be "appropriate" on a show like that - NOT on ESPN980.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote