Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #46
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: Has Anyone Else Completely Lost Faith In The Media?

Slingin Sammy -- if you don't see a difference between those two issues and why one is more news worthy than another I feel bad for you.

1) Chronology: Something Obama said in 1998 (14 years ago) versus something Romney said on the campaign trail.
2) Content: Obama talked about pooling resources and redistributing them in moderation within the government to increase effectiveness. Romney said that 47% of the people he didn't have a chance to get their vote (fair comment) but then goes on to call them all deadbeats who rely on government is absolutely wrong.

When it comes down to it. One guy was insulting almost half of the American public while the other said he's fine with redistributing government funds to make the government MORE EFFICIENT. What exactly is your gripe here? The fact that the media are picking up on the far more interesting, timely, and relevant story? Please.

It's not as if the Obama tape didn't get any national coverage. We all read or saw about it already. Everyone here knows about the tape-- so it was obviously discussed at some point.

Last edited by Daseal; 09-27-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Grammar and clarity.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #47
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Slingin Sammy -- if you don't see a difference between those two issues and why one is more news worthy than another I feel bad for you.

1) Chronology: Something Obama said in 1998 (14 years ago) versus something Romney said on the campaign trail.
2) Content: Obama talked about pooling resources and redistributing them in moderation within the government to increase effectiveness. Romney said that 47% of the people he didn't have a chance to get their vote (fair comment) but then goes on to call them all deadbeats who rely on government is absolutely wrong.

When it comes down to it. One guy was insulting almost half of the American public while the other said he's fine with redistributing government funds to make the government MORE EFFICIENT. What exactly is your gripe here? The fact that the media are picking up on the far more interesting, timely, and relevant story? Please.

It's not as if the Obama tape didn't get any national coverage. We all read or saw about it already. Everyone here knows about the tape-- so it was obviously discussed at some point.
If you don't see that the media coverage of both campaigns' "tapegate" was baised against Romney, I feel bad for you and our country.

Romney was at a fundraiser with GOP heavy hitters and was using the percentage of people in the US who don't pay Fed income tax. Was his statement fundamentally wrong for not taking into account folks on SS, Medicare, etc., yes. Was his point correct, that those who are receiving gov't aid without paying into the system unlikely to vote for someone who wants to scale back entitlements, yes.

Here are Obama's exact words:
"I think the trick is figuring out how do we structure government systems that pool resources and hence facilitate some redistribution because I actually believe in redistribution, at least at a certain level to make sure that everybody's got a shot. How do we pool resources at the same time as we decentralize delivery systems in ways that both foster competition, can work in the marketplace, and can foster innovation at the local level and can be tailored to particular communities."

There is no question Obama is speaking about redistribution of tax dollars from certain segments of the population to other segments in this quote, not making gov't more efficient. It appears you've bought the NBC, ABC, CBS (read media arms of the DNC) spin. If you think Obama's core principles have changed since he made this quote, you are dead-wrong.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #48
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Nice job Fox.

Fox apologizes for airing footage of man shooting self in head | WJLA.com

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #49
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

^amazingly stupid.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #50
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Horrible. Wow.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #51
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
So where is all the outrage from the same people that got all up in arms about the Janet Jackson SB scandal?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #52
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
So where is all the outrage from the same people that got all up in arms about the Janet Jackson SB scandal?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2.
As someone else said and I agree, it's a shame and horrible but at least he didn't take out 15 kids at a school, etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #53
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I have always felt that FoxNews is the least bias of all the major networks when it came to reporting the news. And that combined with their popularity Fox only gets a bad wrap because people cant separate their opinion shows from their news shows. They watch Bill ORielly and think thats what the whole network is like.

From a speach by Patrick Caddell:

Quote:
You know, when I first started in politics – and for a long time before that – everyone on both sides, Democrats and Republicans, despised the press commonly, because they were SOBs to everybody. Which is exactly what they should be. They were unrelenting. Whatever the biases were, they were essentially equal-opportunity people.
Read more: Mainstream media is threatening our country's future | Fox News

Someone mentioned in this thread that not reporting something is the worst thing a news network can do. I completely agree and it was the main reason i found Fox the least biased. Fox questions everything and brings to light things other networks decide to pass on. So if you think what Caddell said above is the way the press is susposed to act then Fox has been the recent leader in carrying out its duties as a member of the press.

However i now think Fox is starting to go from the least biased reporting network to as biased as everyone else.

About 2-3 weeks ago foxnews.com started putting up a "Bias Alert" section on a prominent part of their website. Many of the articles in World, Politics, and US have started to be right leaning pieces. Before opinion pieces were always identified as such. Now there are more of them and Fox is also mixing them in without making it clear. Im very troubled by this.

Im torn on the Bias Alert section because in my opinion biased news has become news itself and worthy of reporting on. I think exposing news makers of bias is very very important for everyone, left and right. But everything Fox has posted since implementing the Bias Alert section has been examples of liberal bias. There has also been a couple big stretches in what they have been labeling as bias. Nonetheless the Bias Alert has been there every time ive logged in, and not just when truely warrented.

Im thinking that they have been labeled right for so long that they think they might as well start acting like it. I mean people genuinely think everything on Fox News is right wing stuff, and that you only turn on Fox to get right wing news. So if they are unable to compete for center and left winged viewers then it might make more sense to go further to the right in their reporting. Afterall theyre going to be labeled right winged no matter what, so they might as well play into it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #54
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I have always felt that FoxNews is the least bias of all the major networks when it came to reporting the news. And that combined with their popularity Fox only gets a bad wrap because people cant separate their opinion shows from their news shows.

O'rlly?

Check this out. FOX invites military expert for interview about Benghazi deal. Guest tells them they are blowing it out of proportion and gets cut ASAP.

Fox News guest slams Fox - Erik Wemple - The Washington Post

Guest on Fox News to Discuss Benghazi Attack Is Given a Quick Exit - NYTimes.com

Following day, this same news agency claims he made a "private apology" for slamming the news source.

Tom Ricks on Fox News: Network VP Says Controversial Guest Apologized - Hollywood Reporter

Reality is, he didn't apologize.

Fox News: Tom Ricks Apologized For Benghazi Criticism; Ricks: No, I Didn't | TPM LiveWire

Quote:
But that's news to Ricks, who told THR in his own email that he never offered an apology to Fox — privately or publicly.

"Please ask Mr. Clemente what the words of my supposed apology were. I'd be interested to know," Ricks said. "Frankly, I don't remember any such apology."

Unbiased my ass. Are you kidding me?..
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #55
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You know how many tax dollars are saved when criminals just blow their brains out. Thank you and nice shot.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #56
MTK
\m/

Fox News the least biased?

Probably the funniest thing I've heard in a really long time.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #57
firstdown
Living Legend

They are all bias in one way or the other. Its like the left saying MSNBC is not bias. Funny people here use a bias source to prove the other one is bias.

Last edited by firstdown; 11-28-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #58
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

The only vaguely unbiased news outlet I recommend is al Jazeera as their bias is blatant and easily filtered. A very good source for news, in all seriousness.

No US outlet is untainted.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #59
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
The only vaguely unbiased news outlet I recommend is al Jazeera as their bias is blatant and easily filtered. A very good source for news, in all seriousness.

No US outlet is untainted.
Al Jazeera is one of the most bias.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #60
saden1
MVP

You should never have faith in any organization whose sole objective is to increase value for its shareholders. Your faith should be reserved for people around you you love and respect, and those who are selfless in their actions.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote