Super Happy Unfun Thread!

Debating with the enemy

Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #46
saden1
MVP

Re: Super Happy Unfun Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Funny how all your "facts" come from sites with a liberal bias.

The American Spectator : PolitiFact's Fixers

Help PolitiFact Get The Facts Right

What's funny is that you link to American Specter to illuminate their bias. I warned you they are not Republican facts but grounded in reality. You can click on the promises and do your own god damn research. Good luck not that you need it.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #47
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
You think we have enough private schools for all the parents to send their kids to? The biggest problem with the Harlem and D.C. school is that every parent wants to send their kids to one of these schools but there are limited slots.
If there's a market and profit to be made, you can be sure the private sector or religious based private schools would fill the void. Of course the Fed or state wouldn't want to fund sending kids to religious based schools (even if it was the parent's choice), even if the education for the child was far superior and the cost to the taxpayer much less.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #48
saden1
MVP

BTW, not all private schools are the same. Some of them are down right stinky dog poop...especially the religious ones that pervert science. If you check the statistics you will find that non-sectarians private schools are way better in terms of performance and cost 2X+ as much.

Obama and co believe science is the way of the future...I would hope they don't fund religious schools. He is free to send his kids there on his own dime though.

-Jenkins
Old 10-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #49
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
What's funny is that you link to American Specter to illuminate their bias. I warned you they are not Republican facts but grounded in reality. You can click on the promises and do your own god damn research. Good luck not that you need it.
You're an angry guy of late.....that Nov. 2nd date and my 1994 = 2010 prediction from quite some time back getting your blood pressure up?
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #50
saden1
MVP

Quote:
You're an angry guy of late.....that Nov. 2nd date and my 1994 = 2010 prediction from quite some time back getting your blood pressure up?
I was channellings my inner William F. Buckley, Jr. I only worry about what I can control.

-Jenkins
Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #51
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
BTW, not all private schools are the same. Some of them are down right stinky dog poop...especially the religious ones that pervert science.
Agree. But if the parent approves shouldn't that be their choice? And the majority of religious based private schools are mainstream and don't teach the wacky stuff and literal bible interpretation (the creationism is absolute, evolution is the devil type stuff).

Quote:
If you check the statistics you will find that non-sectarians private schools are way better in terms of performance and cost 2X+ as much.
The performance of Catholic schools is up there with the non-sects and is still less than what the average per student costs are in most states. Our local Catholic HS is approx. $ 10,600 / yr. and 85% move on to attend 4 year schools, the remaining 15% attend JCs.

Quote:
Obama and co believe science is the way of the future...I would hope they don't fund religious schools. He is free to send his kids there on his own dime though.
Of course science is the future, and most mainstream religious people agree science and faith can/do go hand-in-hand.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #52
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
I was channellings my inner William F. Buckley, Jr. I only worry about what I can control.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #53
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Agree. But if the parent approves shouldn't that be their choice? And the majority of religious based private schools are mainstream and don't teach the wacky stuff and literal bible interpretation (the creationism is absolute, evolution is the devil type stuff).

The performance of Catholic schools is up there with the non-sects and is still less than what the average per student costs are in most states. Our local Catholic HS is approx. $ 10,600 / yr. and 85% move on to attend 4 year schools, the remaining 15% attend JCs.

Of course science is the future, and most mainstream religious people agree science and faith can/do go hand-in-hand.
I'm all for parental choice...I just don't want to hand people checks without pre-conditions (generally a philosophy republicans have always been behind).

I don't think religious schools do as good of a job teaching science. They confuse kids and place doubts in their minds regarding science...I know this first hand. At the end of the day though it's the parents job to teach their kids and kids what the schools won't teach them.

I think the other problem is that once you take funds away from the public schools while you don't have an environment with more quality private schools you run the risk of making the public schools worse due to lack of funding. And in the long term the quality and standards of private schools education will likely get lower to accommodate more business. A better solution is to kill failing schools and reinvent them in a manner similar to Harlem Children's Zone. I think it is more cost effective.

-Jenkins
Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #54
saden1
MVP

This thread isn't about arguments, it's for pictures and videos...back to the topic...this is freaky:

-Jenkins
Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #55
saden1
MVP

The Witch is out with a new ad...I love it!

This video goes out BleedBurgundy...

-Jenkins
Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #56
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm all for parental choice...I just don't want to hand people checks without pre-conditions (generally a philosophy republicans have always been behind).

I don't think religious schools do as good of a job teaching science. They confuse kids and place doubts in their minds regarding science...I know this first hand. At the end of the day though it's the parents job to teach their kids and kids what the schools won't teach them.

I think the other problem is that once you take funds away from the public schools while you don't have an environment with more quality private schools you run the risk of making the public schools worse due to lack of funding. And in the long term the quality and standards of private schools education will likely get lower to accommodate more business. A better solution is to kill failing schools and reinvent them in a manner similar to Harlem Children's Zone. I think it is more cost effective.
I have read several things on HCZ and could never figure out if you have to sign up your child and agree to participate or do they provide this service to all children regardless of parent involvement?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #57
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I have read several things on HCZ and could never figure out if you have to sign up your child and agree to participate or do they provide this service to all children regardless of parent involvement?
It's literally a lottery system right now. Every year parents show up to the school gym, take a number, an administrator spins this thing that has balls with numbers on it, pulls one out, announces the number and then the parents scream and cry. They have expectations of the parents but the kids practically live in the school like a boarding school. Here is a nice video on it:

The Harlem Children's Zone - 60 Minutes - CBS News

-Jenkins
Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #58
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
It's literally a lottery system right now. Every year parents show up to the school gym, take a number, an administrator spins this thing that has balls with numbers on it, pulls one out, announces the number and then the parents scream and cry. They have expectations of the parents but the kids practically live in the school like a boarding school. Here is a nice video on it:

The Harlem Children's Zone - 60 Minutes - CBS News
Ok, thats what I thought and why this program works. This is driven by the parents desire to give their kids a better life when they are stuck in poverty. Just like the voucher program in DC. Without the willing parents these programs will have little to no success. Force this program into a school system and the results will be much lower because only so many parents will get involved. See I think the failing public school system is because of the parents not giving a rats ass and not getting involved in the kids life. I wonder what HCZ does with kids that become a disapline problem because from my understanding they are not a public school?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #59
FRPLG
MVP

I've never seen a study on this but I'll throw this thought out there to see what people think. Perhaps at least some of the performance gains in private schools is more attributed to the fact that all the kids are their by parental choice. Meaning parents on the whole, in the private school system, take the education of the children more seriously than that of those in the public system. And I do know when parents care and get involved with the kids' education then the kids do better.

I base this on the fact that when talking to numerous parents about private school we had a number of them tell us that it isn't worth it because it really isn't all that different than a decent public school. Now we have good public schools in my area but the private schools still out-perform even those good schools in all the basic metrics.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #60
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote