Surprise move on tax cuts by Obama

Debating with the enemy

Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #46
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Surprise move on tax cuts by Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i try to look at the big picture. sooner or later the shit will hit the fan with the record deficit we are incurring. lets stop all the crazy spending, and start to create jobs. what ever is good for the whole is what im about
We don't have a tax problem we have a spending problem. I read today this new bill is filled with 8 billion in pork projects to get the dems approval.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #47
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
So let me get this straight -- the government says you get to keep more of the money you earn, and so do the rich, but that makes you unhappy?

I could certainly understand the outrage if the gov't said "we're taking more out of the paychecks of the poor and middle class, but people in the upper incomes -- their paychecks will be higher". That would be upsetting, no doubt. But everybody gets to keep more of what they earn.

Am I correct to think that the only way you'd be happy is that your paycheck stays the same but anybody with a bigger paycheck takes a hit?

Your happiness depends on someone else's unhappiness?
Exactly. This notion that "rich" people owe more money than others is beyond me. I hate the idea of a progressive tax in the first place and I hate the rampant anti-rich sentiment that flows throughout this country. It is the most unAmerican notion that exists in my opinion. Everyone who is able should pay their fair share. More importantly and more germane to this discussion we shouldn't be axing taxes without a requisite cut in spending. It is as irresponsible as raising taxes. In fact I'd prefer we ran the same rates for a few years, cut spending intelligently and started running a surplus to pay down some debt.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #48
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
We don't have a tax problem we have a spending problem. I read today this new bill is filled with 8 billion in pork projects to get the dems approval.
if you keep spending at this rate, and dont do anything( or cut) taxes, what happens?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #49
saden1
MVP

Quote:
if you keep spending at this rate, and dont do anything( or cut) taxes, what happens?

You don't have to cut anything since you can borrow more money! There's nothing wrong with doing what GW did. People keeping their money is always good thing.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #50
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Exactly. This notion that "rich" people owe more money than others is beyond me. I hate the idea of a progressive tax in the first place and I hate the rampant anti-rich sentiment that flows throughout this country. It is the most unAmerican notion that exists in my opinion. Everyone who is able should pay their fair share. More importantly and more germane to this discussion we shouldn't be axing taxes without a requisite cut in spending. It is as irresponsible as raising taxes. In fact I'd prefer we ran the same rates for a few years, cut spending intelligently and started running a surplus to pay down some debt.
No doubt. Milton Friedman once said that a tax cut without a corrseponding cut in spending isn't really a tax cut. The government just prints the difference, leading to inflation, which hits us in the wallet just the same.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #51
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Isn't funny how the left doesn't give a rats ass about the deficit when they pass the "stimulus" bill or health care, but suddenly when it comes to taxes, they get all huffy about it.

Of course, the Republicans are just as bad -- they only cry about the deficit if they're aren't the ones spending. When they have control, massive deficit spending is just fine.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #52
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
just another example of the Dem's caving in. this is all about the rich. doesn't change anything for me. pretty soon both parties will meet somewhere in the middle, and then we are screwed( more then we are now)
Well actually if they let the tax cuts expire it would have affect everyone. Even the people who don't pay taxes.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #53
firstdown
Living Legend

I can't find the clip but Harry Reid said it was his duty to include pork into a bill. This was the budget bill not the tax bill that had all the pork projects. Like 8 billion worth.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #54
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Isn't funny how the left doesn't give a rats ass about the deficit when they pass the "stimulus" bill or health care, but suddenly when it comes to taxes, they get all huffy about it.

Of course, the Republicans are just as bad -- they only cry about the deficit if they're aren't the ones spending. When they have control, massive deficit spending is just fine.
Stimulus solved a specific problem (one time funds to give tax breaks and create jobs), this is a punt and we will be back to the same situation two years from now. I guess you can call this stimulus 2.0 except this one is far more costly in the long run.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #55
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
I can't find the clip but Harry Reid said it was his duty to include pork into a bill. This was the budget bill not the tax bill that had all the pork projects. Like 8 billion worth.
Reid: Earmarks are 'what we're supposed to do' - Washington Times
Old 12-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #56
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:

Well said , both of your posts are spot on ( IMO ) .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #57
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
I wish I had 8 billion to spend , I might send some " pork " your way ... so you could pull your brand new boat , with your brand new truck
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #58
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
I wish I had 8 billion to spend , I might send some " pork " your way ... so you could pull your brand new boat , with your brand new truck
Neither the boat nor the truck were new when I purchased them. If gas keeps going up I need some of that pork but I'll make my own. I don't spend money I don't have and then brag about it like Reid does.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #59
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

mmm megyn kelly
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #60
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Good summary of the Tax Act: