Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Hornets win draft Lottery; Wizards pick 3rd

Other Sports

Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #46
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Hornets win draft Lottery; Wizards pick 3rd

I have to say I'm kind of disappointed by ESPN's coverage on this. They have their article about it headlined "Stern to Rome lottery query: 'Shame on you'" when the focus should be on what he said in regards to beating his wife. Had this been a NBA player saying the same thing to the commissioner, I imagine the headlines would read a bit different.

Also, I'm not even sure why David Stern is so offended by this. I think many people believe (including me) that the NBA is rigged in some sort of fashion. I without a doubt believe when Tim Donaghy talked about how the 2002 Western Conference playoffs were rigged in that they wanted that Lakers/Kings to extend to 7 games. So why wouldn't people think the lottery is rigged too? (not saying i believe the lottery is rigged)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #47
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

David Stern's tantrum to Jim Rome another reason why it's getting time for him to leave - Yahoo! Sports
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #48
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Nice pick.

I also heard a report that Rashard Lewis and Andray Blatche WILL both be gone before the draft.

They're going to be one of the youngest teams in the league.
Wizards trade Rashard Lewis, No. 46 draft pick to New Orleans for Emeka Okafor, Trevor Ariza - Wizards Insider - The Washington Post
Old 06-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #49
itvnetop
Playmaker

Pros: Changing the culture with proven vets who work hard. Proving to Wall that the organization is doing whatever it can to make his job easier. Solidifies a front court, balancing rebounding (Okafor) with scoring (Nene/Seraphin). Ariza can also spread the floor from the forward position, which is a major area of need.

Cons: There goes the cap space. Okafor's got an injury history, like Nene. Hopefully, this won't take minutes away from young guys like Seraphin and Booker (and even though I didn't like the Vesely pick, how do we evaluate him without proper burn?)... but there's no way Okafor's going to sit on the bench with that contract.

In all, I'm ok with the move. I guess the Wiz are hedging their bets with two centers that have injury problems. I'm not sure how many quality free agents would have come here, regardless of how much space the team had in a year. I think the biggest net is making sure Wall doesn't bolt after his contract is up.

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 06-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #50
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Makes me even more convinced that they're going to take Beal or MKG. Granted Robinson is the likely #2 overall pick anyway but there was the notion that he was their favorite after Davis.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #51
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Makes me even more convinced that they're going to take Beal or MKG. Granted Robinson is the likely #2 overall pick anyway but there was the notion that he was their favorite after Davis.
I was thinking Beal or MKG all along. We still need shooters, so I'm pulling for Beal. Let's not hope someone trades up to snag him at 2.

my blather
Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #52
itvnetop
Playmaker

Just looked at Ariza's stats... he's been a pretty ineffectual shooter the past few seasons. The triangle offense in LA may have made him look better than he is (New Orleans).

my blather
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #53
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Who are the Wiz going with Thursday night? Looks like after the trade, Beal sets up good for them at SG. I wouldnt mind the pick, him or Robinson at this point. I think Cleveland could move up to 2...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #54
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

2012 NBA draft -- Charlotte Bobcats considering trading down from No. 2 pick - ESPN

Quote:
(Our) people are very smart up top.

No Mike, they aren't. That's the problem.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #55
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Who are the Wiz going with Thursday night? Looks like after the trade, Beal sets up good for them at SG. I wouldnt mind the pick, him or Robinson at this point. I think Cleveland could move up to 2...
A few teams like Beal now... top teams like OKC and San Antonio are interested. Biggest threat is definitely Cleveland, still.

If he isn't there at 3, just grab MKG and be done with it.

my blather
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #56
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
A few teams like Beal now... top teams like OKC and San Antonio are interested. Biggest threat is definitely Cleveland, still.

If he isn't there at 3, just grab MKG and be done with it.
If he's not there, I'm torn between MKG and Barnes. On the one hand, MKG "all he does is win" and he's got all the intangibles you'd want but his mechanics/abilities can be lacking a bit. On the other hand, Barnes has all the talent in the word but really seems to have underachieved.

Meantime, here's a nice breakdown of what a Wizards offense could be like with Barnes

NBA Draft 2012: How to Use Harrison Barnes - Bullets Forever
Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #57
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I was surprised to hear Mike Scott is largely considered a second round pic? Is it mainly his age and injury concern? Maybe hes a little undersized to be a 4?

Anyone think Bradford Burgess will get a shot at the NBA, or will he have to go to Europe first? Any word on likely teams?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #58
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
If he's not there, I'm torn between MKG and Barnes. On the one hand, MKG "all he does is win" and he's got all the intangibles you'd want but his mechanics/abilities can be lacking a bit. On the other hand, Barnes has all the talent in the word but really seems to have underachieved.

Meantime, here's a nice breakdown of what a Wizards offense could be like with Barnes

NBA Draft 2012: How to Use Harrison Barnes - Bullets Forever
Yeah, drafting MKG is a risky proposition considering Wall can't shoot either. Having two out of three non-shooting wing players on the court is recipe for danger.

But Barnes scares me bc of his passivity. Deadly spot shooter and great athletic ability, but I didn't really see a consistent knack for creating his own shot.

I wonder if they take Robinson if Beal's gone. We'd have a glut down low.

my blather
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #59
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Not disappointed with Charlotte's pick. Really like the Wizards pick with Beal.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #60
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Not disappointed with Charlotte's pick. Really like the Wizards pick with Beal.
Got lucky nobody wanted to take Tyrus Thomas back in a deal... Beal is perfect alongside Wall. Backcourt set for the future.

my blather