Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

I must have missed yesterday's game...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #46
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: I must have missed yesterday's game...

Good D or bad D, this defense has been unable to stop drives at critical junctures of games.
It is a tough call as to what is the case. YES, the O is.......BAAAAAADDDDD. However (and I heard it on Sunday) I heard Troy A remarking that this is the #1 D against the pass. Well......we are like 25th against the run. Who needs to pass? And we probably have more big plays scored on us than any other team? Way overrated.
AND who have we played that can throw the ball? Not many.
If I have to hang the loss on a unit...it's the O.
THIS D should be better. We should be able to shut down an opponent when necessary, regardless of what point in the game it comes. It makes little difference how well the D plays throughout a game if they cannot close it out?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #47
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Some how I think the Refs missed the game also....

Per NFL Live: Illegal Man Downfield on Cowboys TD? - EXTREMESKINS.com
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #48
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post

yeah, but how many times have the skins benefitted from refs missing something. there were several times our defense got away with blatant pass interference during the game without being flagged. these things even themselves out.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #49
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Defense played great on Sunday, but the Cowboys defense was at least twice as good. Give them credit: the effort from all 11 guys was in no way lacking, and it's probably as good as they've looked this year schematically, but the Cowboys D was just twice as good.

This loss wasn't on the D, but only once in the last two years have they been able to close the deal, and that was the Philly game last season. You can count the Rams game this year as well if you like, even though the Rams never really threatened.
How do your figure that their D was twice as good? We got into scoring postion 4 times and Dallas only twice. Once our D made a play causing a fumble and the 2nd we gave up a TD. If we scored when given the chance by their D we win and missed the chances.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #50
SBXVII
Franchise Player

^Oh I totally agree.

Dallas was despirate. They knew they would not get the ball back. They did whatever it took to put 7 points on the board. Some chances are worth taking. Especially when your losing the whole game.

Our loss was due to our lack of scoring ability. Had we scored on the times we were close to the redzone we might have won 21-7 or 28-7. I base this off of the 4 field goals attempted.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #51
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
The counter-argument would be that the standard needs to be that they are the best defense on the field every week, given the resources we have put in them. On Sunday, they were not the best defense on the field.

But, again, that's as much about a really good defensive gameplan from Dallas as anything. It was a well, well above average performance, even including the last drive. Of course, some would say that the difference between well above average and elite is the difference between a winner and a loser.
I kept thinking this all day watching the game, Dallas did a great job defensively. But then in the same sentence they didnt have much to go up against. Our offense is/was horrific and we still should have won that game.One thing I do know, our pass defense was the best on the field all day long. If our offense wasnt in the bottom 3 in the league we would probably be .500. I go back to what the guys on the field say London Fletch and Jerry Gray, you hold a team to 7 points on the road, you should beat that team everytime.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #52
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I kept thinking this all day watching the game, Dallas did a great job defensively. But then in the same sentence they didnt have much to go up against. Our offense is/was horrific and we still should have won that game.One thing I do know, our pass defense was the best on the field all day long. If our offense wasnt in the bottom 3 in the league we would probably be .500. I go back to what the guys on the field say London Fletch and Jerry Gray, you hold a team to 7 points on the road, you should beat that team everytime.

Quote:
Defense played great on Sunday, but the Cowboys defense was at least twice as good. Give them credit: the effort from all 11 guys was in no way lacking, and it's probably as good as they've looked this year schematically, but the Cowboys D was just twice as good.

This loss wasn't on the D, but only once in the last two years have they been able to close the deal, and that was the Philly game last season. You can count the Rams game this year as well if you like, even though the Rams never really threatened.

Some of you guys really seem to be humping the Dallas D. Maybe Sandtrap can join in.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #53
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
In the 4th quarter when the team MUST HAVE a defensive stand (three-and-out or a turnover to get the ball back) what the team gets is a drive by the opposition resulting in a score.

...What matters is making the defensive stop when the team absolutely, positively has to have one. And the Skins' defense the last couple of years simply has NOT done that.
Here is what I took out of SC's post, and it's absolutely true. It doesn't matter if the offense only puts up 6 points or if the defense holds up for 55 someodd minutes. The mentality of "bend don't break" can only hold up for so long. The defense let down when they needed to not bend at all, and that's what ultimately led to the final score.

You can argue that missed FGs and an inept offense lost the Skins the game, and I can agree with that, but I can also agree with the defense stopping the Cowboys all day until it mattered most. It's a combination of these things.

Good football teams find ways to win. Bad football teams find ways to lose.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #54
SBXVII
Franchise Player

^We only had 6 points. Blame the D, don't blame the D but in the end it's very difficult to shut out a team. I guess we were just hoping Dallas which has proven to be able to score more then 21 points in a game would only score 3 and we would win. Not good sound thinking. The defense did it's part all game. Whether that series was at the beginning of the game or the end one has to believe the opponant will score more then 6 points.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #55
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post

You're absolutley right, refs missed more than a few at that game. The NFL ruled that the review of whether or not Campbell stepped out bounds before tossing the ball to avoid a sack was NOT reviewable and that review should have never taken place. Anthony Spencer should have been awarded a sack on that play since it was not reviewable.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #56
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
You're absolutley right, refs missed more than a few at that game. The NFL ruled that the review of whether or not Campbell stepped out bounds before tossing the ball to avoid a sack was NOT reviewable and that review should have never taken place. Anthony Spencer should have been awarded a sack on that play since it was not reviewable.
Why would Spencer be awarded a sack if Campbell ran out of bounds and threw the ball after he stepped out? Running out of bounds to avoid a sack doesn't give the pursuing player a sack. And what he did after he stepped out doesn't matter.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #57
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
When did the NFL rule that. The broadcast crew said that they had received notification from the NFL referee guy that it was reviewable, and since no snap had taken place the right call was to overturn the ruling on the field, and remove the delay of game.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #58
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Good D or bad D, this defense has been unable to stop drives at critical junctures of games.
It is a tough call as to what is the case. YES, the O is.......BAAAAAADDDDD. However (and I heard it on Sunday) I heard Troy A remarking that this is the #1 D against the pass. Well......we are like 25th against the run. Who needs to pass? And we probably have more big plays scored on us than any other team? Way overrated.
AND who have we played that can throw the ball? Not many.
If I have to hang the loss on a unit...it's the O.
THIS D should be better. We should be able to shut down an opponent when necessary, regardless of what point in the game it comes. It makes little difference how well the D plays throughout a game if they cannot close it out?
Stats are often misleading. Our offense is horrible which makes the defense stay on the field for more plays. Yes, i would think our rush D would be better, but our pass defense? It's ranked high, but we've got an average secondary. The secondary helps out the run defense game alot and we haven't been very good there. LL and RD/CH...average. Rogers/Smoot/Hall...average.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #59
over the mountain
Playmaker

i see where the OP is coming from. regardless of what our D did before the last 3 mins of the game, if they get a stop we might have been able to run the clock out or atleast give the ball back with under a min to go.

i also dont understand why we didnt blitz more given green bays success a week prior. andre carter said they had blitz plays ready they just never called them.

trends - our D gives up inoportune scoring drives; greg blache doesnt dial up the blitzes, staying conservative.

i have a hard time putting this on the D thoo.

go skins!!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #60
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i see where the OP is coming from. regardless of what our D did before the last 3 mins of the game, if they get a stop we might have been able to run the clock out or atleast give the ball back with under a min to go.

i also dont understand why we didnt blitz more given green bays success a week prior. andre carter said they had blitz plays ready they just never called them.

trends - our D gives up inoportune scoring drives; greg blache doesnt dial up the blitzes, staying conservative.

i have a hard time putting this on the D thoo.

go skins!!
Good points Mountain.