Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Cerrato's Not (Just) Incompetent - He's Oblivioius (Offensive Line / Dysfunctional Coaching Staff Related)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #46
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Cerrato's Not (Just) Incompetent - He's Oblivioius (Offensive Line / Dysfunctional Coaching Staff Related)

In reading this article I don't know weather or not I should laugh or cry.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #47
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Re: Cerrato's Not (Just) Incompetent - He's Oblivioius (Offensive Line / Dysfunctional Coaching Staff Related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Do we want one stud or quality across the line, depth included?
Well all of the above is my thinking. I would be happiest if we used our first 2 or 3 picks on trench men, mostly because I think the oline needs the most improvement by a huge margin.

...I'm not against drafting QBs high. Honestly I just haven't a clue how you tell the quality prospects from the busts. I also ask the question, what do we want in our QB we don't have now? My biggest complaints on Jason are 1) tepidness (to the extreme if that makes sense) 2) inconsistency in decision-making 3) inconsistency in accuracy

Now IMO opinion most QBs struggle w/ #3 from time to time, #2 can improve markedly w/ solid coaching but the player also has to be capable of learning to think faster, and finally there is no coaching/teaching #1. Jason, from what I can tell, has zero passion for the game or for winning in particular. When I watch a Skins game w/ fans of other teams I hear the same thing a lot..."Your QB doesn't look like he cares much." For instance on Sunday when he threw the pick Jason just frowned and slapped his hands together. I mean you just lost any chance of winning the game against a division rival, a game your team should have won by all accounts, and the only show of emotion is a frown and a clap. I want my QB to go red in anger and let a string of expletives fly when that kind of thing happens. I want a fighter.

So I guess I question whether you can really "see" that fighting spirit in a 22 year old kid who's playing college ball for a number of reasons...win the game, get a bowl game, get into the pros, get the big contract. And upon arrival in the NFL I think there's just one real motivator left...the desire to win. Favre, Brady, and Peyton all love football sure, but it's winning football games that do it for those guys. Eff Manning especially looks like he wants to kick a puppy when he loses.

Using a really high draft pick on a QB, where the chemistry and the personality has to be just right to make things work, seems like too big a gamble when a team has really apparent needs like a terrible oline. On the whole I'm much for comfortable bringing a veteran guy who shows lots of guts, like a Garcia, or taking a chance on a guy who in his few opportunities has shown he really, really wants to make things happen out there and win, like Brennan.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #48
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
In reading this article I don't know weather or not I should laugh or cry.
let it rain dirtbag
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #49
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Now IMO opinion most QBs struggle w/ #3 from time to time, #2 can improve markedly w/ solid coaching but the player also has to be capable of learning to think faster, and finally there is no coaching/teaching #1. Jason, from what I can tell, has zero passion for the game or for winning in particular. When I watch a Skins game w/ fans of other teams I hear the same thing a lot..."Your QB doesn't look like he cares much." For instance on Sunday when he threw the pick Jason just frowned and slapped his hands together. I mean you just lost any chance of winning the game against a division rival, a game your team should have won by all accounts, and the only show of emotion is a frown and a clap. I want my QB to go red in anger and let a string of expletives fly when that kind of thing happens. I want a fighter.
It's not about whether you win or lose, it's about how many people you can offend after the game.

Forgive me for not wishing we had a mental midget who can't handle his emotions at quarterback.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #50
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
I would like to see us trade the 1st for a later 1st and 2nd/3rd or multiple 2nd's and 3rd's given how high we will be in the draft. Use at least 3 picks for OL with 2 for tackles and 1 for guard or center. Use a later pick to get a decent qb or honestly, just stick with JC.
Most important step, get rid of Bugel, that guy sucks he took Stephon Heyer and regressed him, took Dockery and regressed him, took Rhinehart and did nothing with him so Buges is a big problem in my mind.

Sure it will take a couple of years but so what, instead of trying to patch up the team, build it from the ground floor up and give up the next year or two.
I'm pretty sure Dockery regressed himself.. .and I think that Rinehart has done decently considering his draft position and playing time.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #51
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's not about whether you win or lose, it's about how many people you can offend after the game.

Forgive me for not wishing we had a mental midget who can't handle his emotions at quarterback.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not...again the great QBs of the day show intense emotion on and off the field. I've watched Tom Brady steam as he walks to the sideline, even yelling at those around him. Same for Peyton. But again my personal fav is Brees...I've watched him shout right at teammates coming off the field or on the sidelines but there's always a lot of positive enthusiasm (?) coming thru. Makes him maybe the most likable great QB in my book.

At any rate I don't know why anyone would want a QB, or any athlete for that matter, who didn't get psyched up for the game. Jeez the greatest athlete in my lifetime, Jordan, was almost always the most passionate personality on the court.

Tripp maybe you don't watch a lot of sports, or maybe you just can't see beyond your partiality for JC.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #52
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I can't tell if you're being serious or not...again the great QBs of the day show intense emotion on and off the field. I've watched Tom Brady steam as he walks to the sideline, even yelling at those around him. Same for Peyton. But again my personal fav is Brees...I've watched him shout right at teammates coming off the field or on the sidelines but there's always a lot of positive enthusiasm (?) coming thru. Makes him maybe the most likable great QB in my book.

At any rate I don't know why anyone would want a QB, or any athlete for that matter, who didn't get psyched up for the game. Jeez the greatest athlete in my lifetime, Jordan, was almost always the most passionate personality on the court.

Tripp maybe you don't watch a lot of sports, or maybe you just can't see beyond your partiality for JC.
Jeff George yelled at his teammates all the time. Ryan Leaf screamed at everyone. Joe Montana was one of the mildest mannered cats out there. Brett Favre, who is the most videoed and mic'd up QBs ever, doesn't have one clip of him lighting up one of his players.

Those overt shows of emotion have absolutely nothing to do with your ability to be an effective NFL QB.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #53
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Jeff George yelled at his teammates all the time. Ryan Leaf screamed at everyone. Joe Montana was one of the mildest mannered cats out there. Brett Favre, who is the most videoed and mic'd up QBs ever, doesn't have one clip of him lighting up one of his players.

Those overt shows of emotion have absolutely nothing to do with your ability to be an effective NFL QB.
I agree somewhat. Yelling at your teammates is definitely not the right way to rile them up and I think the offensive chemistry of the Skins is so bad at this point, yelling would be detrimental.

But I think if you have good chemistry and your players work as a group "brain" so to speak, just trying to get the moral up can't hurt.

But to go along with that, there's a fine line between screaming at your teammates and telling them they're fucking it up and screaming at them because you KNOW they're capable of doing better.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #54
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post

I don't know where this turned into a discussion of screaming at people per se, actually it has little to nothing to do w/ the topic. Brett Favre is probably the most passionate QB in the game right now. Certainly he shows his exuberance differently than Brady, Peyton or Brees, but the whole point was to say the vast, vast, vast majority of elite athletes show TONS of passion come game-time. I really don't see how this is debatable. Go down the list of greats in any sport and look for those who showed no passion and those who did...gonna be a tipped scale to be sure.

...the one position where "placidity" is more or less a virtue is MBL pitchers. I think it makes sense because that more than any other position, probably applies to the sport of baseball as a whole, has a serious head-game/psychological side to it. I remember watching an interview once where the Big Unit said he trained himself to keep a poker face through every inning (even though he seemed pissed most of the time IMO).
Old 11-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #55
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I don't know where this turned into a discussion of screaming at people per se, actually it has little to nothing to do w/ the topic. Brett Favre is probably the most passionate QB in the game right now. Certainly he shows his exuberance differently than Brady, Peyton or Brees, but the whole point was to say the vast, vast, vast majority of elite athletes show TONS of passion come game-time. I really don't see how this is debatable. Go down the list of greats in any sport and look for those who showed no passion and those who did...gonna be a tipped scale to be sure.

...the one position where "placidity" is more or less a virtue is MBL pitchers. I think it makes sense because that more than any other position, probably applies to the sport of baseball as a whole, has a serious head-game/psychological side to it. I remember watching an interview once where the Big Unit said he trained himself to keep a poker face through every inning (even though he seemed pissed most of the time IMO).
Well your post referenced Brady and Brees 'shouting' and 'screaming'.. Regardless of verbal displays or not, 'showing passion' has zero to do with actual ability or performance.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote